lab cache

rangercarol

11 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Notice that that thread page now says "Formerly the Lab Caches forum, this is a place to discuss playing Adventures."

- Not sure if the app has been changed yet...

The version of the Adventure App I have loaded says Adventure Labs on the Icon. On most of the general pages, it is still worded as Adventure Lab, but the new map says Adventures.

Just now, K13 said:

The version of the Adventure App I have loaded says Adventure Labs on the Icon. On most of the general pages, it is still worded as Adventure Lab, but the new map says Adventures.

Maybe it's a change because some were confusing the two (and many said so here in the forums as well) ?

"Lab caches" used as experimental cache types maybe not the same anymore, since "adventures" has an app.

10 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Does the app work on a computer?  Can I log lab caches from my home computer, if I have found the codes for the lab caches?

I don't think so, I tried to find such and app for the home computer but then again I don't always get things done right!

I thought Lab caches were obsolete;, never knew what they were and since I thought they were obsolete I never checked on them. 

Edited by Jayeffel
16 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Does the app work on a computer?  Can I log lab caches from my home computer, if I have found the codes for the lab caches?

As I understand it, the Adventure App only works on "smart phones".  I feel since Adventures have a separate app required for finding & logging; no container; no review process; and can have a direct relationship with businesses; do not appear on the Geocaching map or website;   they should be moved to the status of Waymarks - no longer being counted as Geocaches.

• Upvote 3
6 minutes ago, K13 said:

As I understand it, the Adventure App only works on "smart phones".  I feel since Adventures have a separate app required for finding & logging; no container; no review process; and can have a direct relationship with businesses; do not appear on the Geocaching map or website;   they should be moved to the status of Waymarks - no longer being counted as Geocaches.

Hmm...  If I cannot log them on Geocaching, are they really geocaches?!?

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
Just now, Harry Dolphin said:

Exactly. You can't even see them, much less log them, from the Official Geocaching App. They are truly a new creation, only a little similar to a Geocache.

13 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

This was discussed in another thread recently ... that maybe they should be another "location game" altogether like Waymarking,  but Wherigo are still counted in finds and now pretty-much phone only.

Anyone keeping track of all the updates n stuff on both, I wouldn't want that...   :)

37 minutes ago, K13 said:

Yeah...

I can't help thinking that someone at HQ mistakenly placed "Adventures" in the Lab Cache forums, not realizing there's now quite a difference. :)

The last Lab Cache post was directly under  this adventures thing, and in the same year ('18).

9 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

This was discussed in another thread recently ... that maybe they should be another "location game" altogether like Waymarking,  but Wherigo are still counted in finds and now pretty-much phone only.

Anyone keeping track of all the updates n stuff on both, I wouldn't want that...   :)

At least, I can log Wherigos on Geocaching.com after I sign the log.  A lot tougher to find!  But, in some cases, it can be done.  But, these lab caches cannot be logged on Geocaching.  So, they are not geocaches.  And should be listed somewhere else.

• Upvote 4
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:47 PM, cerberus1 said:

I can't help thinking that someone at HQ mistakenly placed "Adventures" in the Lab Cache forums, not realizing there's now quite a difference. :)

The last Lab Cache post was directly under  this adventures thing, and in the same year ('18).

Not sure how many noticed, but "Lab cache forum" is no-longer there, replaced by "Adventures".  Guess part of yesterday's "maintenance".

"Lab cache" and Adventures posts still together which seems odd.  Does that mean there aren't "lab" experimental caches in the future ?.

On 9/9/2019 at 4:43 PM, Harry Dolphin said:

You have to be at GZ with the app working correctly (still progress to do on that part) because GS wanted to eliminate armchair logging by sharing code.

I still don't understand why you can't see the icon of the lab cache in the geocaching app.

3 hours ago, The A-Team said:

Lab caches Adventure Labs Adventures aren't caches like the rest of the cache types. They're a separate thing with their own rules and logging procedure.

They count in your stats as any other types so it's not a separate thing like Waymarking. BTW they still call them lab cache in the stats.

Groundspeak could easily (in my opinion) put the icon of lab cache on the official app and when you open it redirect you to the Adventure app for logging it.