Report a missing cache

IoreksDiscCachers

How do I report a missing cache? Or more precisely, this cache has not been found in a couple of years. It appears that it is on private property that no longer allows access. Several cachers have written notes asking for clarification. I have messaged the cache owner at least 3 times with no response. What is the next appropriate step? I don't want to venture into private property and get shot for trespassing so please don't suggest that. Thanks.

14 minutes ago, IoreksDiscCachers said:

How do I report a missing cache? Or more precisely, this cache has not been found in a couple of years. It appears that it is on private property that no longer allows access. Several cachers have written notes asking for clarification. I have messaged the cache owner at least 3 times with no response. What is the next appropriate step? I don't want to venture into private property and get shot for trespassing so please don't suggest that. Thanks.

I too suggest a NM log.

By the way, I love your profile photo!

If you haven't heard from the CO, and not gonna venture there yourself, you could simply email the Reviewer, and ask what they think.  :)

If "Several cachers have written notes asking for clarification" but didn't venture there either, or left a NM or NA themselves, I feel maybe that might be a good option.  

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, IoreksDiscCachers said:

Go to the cache that is missing scroll to the bottom and tap "Report the a problem with the cache" and choose either "needs  maintenance" or "needs archive". 

Edited by NightFall806
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
6 minutes ago, jocke92 said:

It thought the "Last activity" included logins to the APP too

Nope. It's exactly as cerebus1 said. 

It's not a guarantee, but looking at the CO's last found logs would give a more accurate idea of whether they're still active.  If they don't log their finds then obviously that won't be accurate, either.

• Upvote 2
50 minutes ago, VAVAPAM said:

Nope. It's exactly as cerebus1 said. 

It's not a guarantee, but looking at the CO's last found logs would give a more accurate idea of whether they're still active.  If they don't log their finds then obviously that won't be accurate, either.

And some owners are behind on logging their finds, but keep up with their caches by reading email notifications.

• Helpful 1
On 9/6/2019 at 1:42 PM, cerberus1 said:

If you haven't heard from the CO, and not gonna venture there yourself, you could simply email the Reviewer, and ask what they think.  :)

If "Several cachers have written notes asking for clarification" but didn't venture there either, or left a NM or NA themselves, I feel maybe that might be a good option. 

I disagree. The way to ask the reviewer if this cache should be archived is to step up and post a "Needs Archive" note so everyone sees what's going on. That's exactly what the NA log is for. Don't skulk around behind the scenes with a private message to the reviewer.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, dprovan said:

I disagree. The way to ask the reviewer if this cache should be archived is to step up and post a "Needs Archive" note so everyone sees what's going on. That's exactly what the NA log is for. Don't skulk around behind the scenes with a private message to the reviewer.

Nothing sinister, and definitely nothing  cowardly about it at all...

It's possible there's a reason "several" others might not have placed NM or NA.  The OP hasn't returned to say if they did or not.

We've personally found that being direct isn't always the best move...

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

It's possible there's a reason "several" others might not have placed NM or NA.

This is precisely the problem. Others didn't post an NA, FOR WHATEVER REASON, and now you have to because someone has to ask the reviewer if it's time to archive this cache. If there's a good reason, then it should be documented in the cache description.

1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

We've personally found that being direct isn't always the best move...

Obviously I don't know what you're talking about, but I find that people that think they've found a good reason to be indirect just cause more problems for others. In this context the example is people often complaing about COs being mean when someone posts an NA, but that's a problem with those COs that should be brought to light and addressed by posting NAs and complaining to GS when a CO is a jerk about it. Not filing NAs because of a fear of the CO's reaction just leads to more people later experiencing the same reactions because they have no way of knowing about the "special handling" this CO has trained everyone else to follow.

47 minutes ago, dprovan said:

Obviously I don't know what you're talking about...

IIRC, 1/3 or 2/3 of cerberus1 was subjected to harassment by the local caching community after logging some NAs, so I can understand them being gun-shy at this point.

Personally, I have no problem logging an NA when it's warranted. For several years, I was pretty much the only one doing it locally. Since then, others have followed my lead and now issues don't fester for very long before someone stands up and logs the necessary NA. Unfortunately, some caching communities are so toxic that this just isn't viable unless one wants to become an outcast. I feel sorry for those areas.

• Helpful 1