using a laptop to load geocaches

RussLinda114

9 minutes ago, RussLinda114 said:

Hello guys. I was wondering If i can use a laptop to load geocache lists onto my garmin oregon 700. I currently have garmin express on my desktop. I was hoping that i could also put it on my laptop to use while i'm on vacation.

Sure, depending on the laptop. You should install it and test it in advance. You'll of course need an Internet connection in order to use Garmin Express.

Also, get familiar how to load caches directly from a hotspot to your 700. You don't need a laptop for that.

Do you have an USB connection on your laptop? If yes, then you can, you can probably do it on Wifi or Bluetooth too (haven't tried).

Why would the laptop be different than your desktop? Depending on the OS you might have another method for transferring though. If you're using Windows I can recommend GSAK to have an offline database on your computer so you can better chose which caches to transfer.

Just now, kunarion said:

Sure, depending on the laptop. You should install it and test it in advance. You'll of course need an Internet connection in order to use Garmin Express.

Also, get familiar how to load caches directly from a hotspot to your 700. You don't need a laptop for that.

I have loaded many caches using the live feature but the problem is that sometimes i like to be area specific like on a bike trail  without having every cache pop up.or to record my drafts at the end of the day.

32 minutes ago, RussLinda114 said:

I have loaded many caches using the live feature but the problem is that sometimes i like to be area specific like on a bike trail  without having every cache pop up.or to record my drafts at the end of the day.

Am I the only one who puts Geocaches on their GPS?  I like caches popping up, so I can... you know... Geocache.  This "only one trail" thing is not for me.  Am I weird or what! :wacko:

How do you intend to get online while on vacation? I've sometimes hoped to find some wifi hotspot along the way, but their wifi isn't working well. Same with a hotel. An ethernet cable can save the day if the hotel room has an ethernet connection, when their wifi is terrible.

If you have a defined place to vacation, you may consider ways to save a backup database in case the Garmin Express plan doesn't even work when you arrive.  As on4bam suggests, you could slap a whole bunch of caches into GSAK, and then even if you can't get connected, you can still plan and load caches. 

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2