TBs in cacher's hands.

Harry Dolphin

I found three trackables today, in a cache that's found occasionally.  They are listed in the hands of a cacher since 2009.  He stopped caching in 2012 and did not log a find on this cache.  I think it's the original cache, but not absolutely sure.  I guess I'll grab them, visit them to the cache, and move them on.  (After cleaning them up.)  Struck me as very bizarre.  

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

I found three trackables today, in a cache that's found occasionally.  They are listed in the hands of a cacher since 2009.  He stopped caching in 2012 and did not log a find on this cache.  I think it's the original cache, but not absolutely sure.  I guess I'll grab them, visit them to the cache, and move them on.  (After cleaning them up.)  Struck me as very bizarre.  

Many cachers seem to be unable to deal with TB problems, or they drop TBs in a cache (or take TBs that we’re previously logged wrong) and don’t know what to do next.  It gets the logs kind of scrambled.  Sometimes I try to set the logs straight.  Sometimes I just log a Discover on such TBs.  Depends on how I feel. :cute:

1 minute ago, kunarion said:

Many cachers seem to be unable to deal with TB problems, or they drop TBs in a cache (or take TBs that we’re previously logged wrong) and don’t know what to do next.  It gets the logs kind of scrambled.  Sometimes I try to set the logs straight.  Sometimes I just log a Discover on such TBs.  Depends on how I feel. :cute:

Yep.  

I think some feel guilty when finding them in the Zane Grey books box they finally opened, after moving four years ago.

They don't log or anything, just dump 'em in a hide, figuring at least they're "going to be" back in play.  :) 

Sometimes I'll Grab it , Discover a lot lately  (I'm just not caching that much right now), but I'm not going to go bonkers trying to figure "who-was-where" anymore.

Many of the issues of (more than...) inaccurate logging we're seeing are from long-time cachers too.   Weird.

Nice the finned one has the patience.   :D

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I found a TB that had been missing for three and a half years. It wasn't logged into the cache. I found it in Christchurch, NZ. It had previously been in a cache in the Netherlands. My guess, a New Zealander had holidayed in the Netherlands, picked up the TB and brought it back to NZ and then forgot about it. They were too embarrassed to admit they had it and dumped it into a local cache without a log. The owner messaged me how pleased they were it had turned up. It had been their first TB.

I have also found other TBs in caches without logs, that had been missing for more than a year, but the 3.5 one is the longest missing one.

I picked up a TB last weekend.  Hesitated at first as I knew I would not be out caching again for a couple of weeks, but then I would be away on holiday so it would be a good chance to drop it in another area 200 miles away.  Being fairly new to this & only having moved on 2 TBs previously on the days that I found them I thought it was only polite towards the owner to say in my log that I was hanging on to the TB & what my intention was.  But I notice that in many logs the cacher who picked up a TB but then does not log an drop within a couple of days says nothing beyond having picked up the TB.  Seems a little thoughtless to not just write a short sentence to let the owner know what is happening, whether it be collecting, dropping or hanging onto a TB for a short while for whatever reason.  The more I read here the more I do wonder where the sense of being part of a community enjoying an interest that is shared on so many levels has perhaps gone.  As the people who are active on this forum are only a small minority of the number of cachers out there so cannot imagine how many stray/abandoned TBs there must be in the world.  The TB I picked up is now attached to my GPS so there is no way I can forget I have it & will carry it until I find a suitable cache to drop it in.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2