LOoking for info on: New Garmin Gpsr

paul6921

It seems like they've historically come out with a newer version of the Oregon series about every 3 years (450 in early 2010, 600 in 2013, 700 in 2016), so I'm guessing (and hoping) that an Oregon 800/850 may not be far off. While I've learned to live with them, the quirks with the 600 have become mildly irritating. I'd upgrade to a 700 if I didn't have a hunch that an 800 could be coming soon. If that turns out to not be the case, I may consider a 700 in about a year.

4 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

While I've learned to live with them, the quirks with the 600 have become mildly irritating

From what goes around here, the quirks of the 600 are better than those of the 700. What makes you think the 800 will be any better? ?

11 hours ago, Henne1312 said:

I was expecting a new Montana this year, after the new GPSMAP last year. Thought it was next in line.

I'm wondering if Garmin isn't semi-retiring the Montana line. I was expecting the 610/680 update to be more in line with the Oregon series with regard to a nice glass capacitive screen. Instead, it was just a minor update from the 600/650, I think to add GLONASS support and update the software user interface a little bit.

2 hours ago, jakewa said:

Do all the Garmin's have all the GNSS generation 2 systems; the GPS, GONASS, Galileo, IRNSS, BDS, etc?

It seems that the newer models are heading in that direction. GLONASS has been a part of Garmin units for a while now, and the 66 series introduces support for Galileo and maybe some other systems. That said, GPS alone is good enough, and GPS + GLONASS is, well, more than good enough if the GLONASS satellites are calibrated correctly.

1 hour ago, Mineral2 said:

I'm wondering if Garmin isn't semi-retiring the Montana line. I was expecting the 610/680 update to be more in line with the Oregon series with regard to a nice glass capacitive screen. Instead, it was just a minor update from the 600/650, I think to add GLONASS support and update the software user interface a little bit.

The minor update is what Garmin did with other devices as well - Oregon 200/300/400, minor update 450/550, new model 600. Gpsmap 62, minor update 64, new model 66. So after the minor update 610/650 I was expecting a new, Oregon-style Montana to be released this year. But maybe you’re right and they are retiring the Montana.

They just released the new Etrex 22x and 32x just a few months ago, (EDIT. Also the 64x series) without hardly any fanfare at all.  The 66 series was introduced a year ago. 

I think the 22x and 32x now come with routing topo maps standard for free.

Edited by gpsblake