Geocaching in NC State Parks

Guest klgraves

Guest klgraves

I recently tried to place a cache (#9446) at Crowder's Mountain State Park. It was a microcache - hidden inches from the trail. I discussed it with one of the park rangers, and he approved of its placement and location.

One week later, another ranger at the park removed it- stating that I had lied about getting permission and that geocaching is not currently allowed in NC state parks. I then called the park office to speak with the superindendent. Unfortunately for me, he had only spoken to the 2nd ranger. He threatened to issue me a "citation"- then gave me a stern lecture about the hazards of geocaching.

Three days later, I receive an email from the 2nd park ranger. He had FINALLY talked to the other ranger - the one who had given me "verbal permission". It seems that I CAN geocache there, after all. But first I must obtain an activity permit for my cache.

No thanks.

Guest LoCache

It saddens me to hear this kind of stuff. We here in Georgia are dealing with the state parks on a similar but different issue. They don't allow it, but they are working well with us to make it work.

I hope you, or some others interested in your area, will take the opportunity to perhaps form a group for the purpose of tackling issues like the one you encountered. If they decide not to allow it, they may not be the last, and the sooner you can make them see that Geocaching should be allowed, the better.

Check out http://www.ggaonline.org for more info on us, and please feel free to contact us for any info on how to get started....if you are interested in something similar that is. Or, if you just want to have a friendly get together for Geocachers...we are getting ready to put a document describing how to start your own group since we get asked about it a lot.

Best of luck to you, and good Geocaching!

Geo

Guest Hawk-eye

I feel your pain ... same fate befell the cache at Pilot Mtn and another one on the edge of Hanging Rock ... And the cacher had gotten permission. Oh well ... it's their Parks ... not ours. Gosh I hope that's not correct ... but it appears to be. I might suggest if you want to use Crowder Mtn .. make it multi stage and partially virtual. I've done that at Hanging Rock ... and the physical cache is on private property ... close by ... but there is nothing physical on the state's park ... activity is on their trails ... not off trail ... so unless they ban hiking ...

Come to think about it ... the way our state runs things most of the time ... who knows what's next. They almost sent the state to the poor house last couple of years by mis-managing it. icon_biggrin.gif

Excuse the rant ... it's just for every logical well intentioned State employee there appears to be two idiots following him around.

Guest Hawk-eye

I feel your pain ... same fate befell the cache at Pilot Mtn and another one on the edge of Hanging Rock ... And the cacher had gotten permission. Oh well ... it's their Parks ... not ours. Gosh I hope that's not correct ... but it appears to be. I might suggest if you want to use Crowder Mtn .. make it multi stage and partially virtual. I've done that at Hanging Rock ... and the physical cache is on private property ... close by ... but there is nothing physical on the state's park ... activity is on their trails ... not off trail ... so unless they ban hiking ...

Come to think about it ... the way our state runs things most of the time ... who knows what's next. They almost sent the state to the poor house last couple of years by mis-managing it. icon_biggrin.gif

Excuse the rant ... it's just for every logical well intentioned State employee there appears to be two idiots following him around.

Guest BigDoggie

To Hawk-eye:

>Oh well ... it's their Parks ... not ours

Nonsense. It is **OUR** park, the people's park. We just pay the staff to work for us in our park.

We are the dog... they are the tail. Though this often seems to get twisted around, this is the way it SHOULD be.

Guest BGSkierNC

Let's not get into a discussion (flame or otherwise) about ownership of parks. There are points on both sides of this issue. This has been discussed many times on these boards before.

Instead, maybe we could funnel our efforts to get the activity accepted and approved in NC parks. I, for one, would like to see the document LoCache is compiling. I love this sport and want to see it continue and grow.

BG

Guest klgraves

NC Division of Parks hasn't banned geocaching. Instead, we have been at the whim of each park and individual park rangers. I would rather North Carolina set uniform guidelines for geocaching, instead of getting approval from EVERY employee at the park.