TB not moving on

lilibet24

When I drop a TB one of the things I check is how often a cache is visited. I want at least once a month, before I will leave a TB.

Someone once told me they visited a remote cache and they were the first visitor to it in five years. They found seven TBs in it. They had been languishing for all those years. They felt they better take all the TBs with them to get them moving again. I bet there were some happy, surprised owners :D.

yeah grabbing a TB is totally allowed... and i dont think it even helps how much the cache is found for someone to take it, as sometimes caches that get visited every day, dont get TBs Picked Up, for example i have had a ton of TBs Dropped in mingo and only about 3 came back out after like 6 months. 

I reccoment dropping it in a Travel Bug Hotel as they are visited by people who are looking for TBs to take with them

8 minutes ago, Camroo said:

yeah grabbing a TB is totally allowed...

No need to "grab". Just retrieve. Grabbing is done when you take a TB that's not in the inventory of the cache you take it from. mostly this is when a TB was not dropped in that cache (still in another one or "in the hands of"...)

BTW, don't "grab" a TB in real time at GZ of the cache you retrieve it from. Give the cacher who dropped it the chance to properly log caches and TBs after getting home from a caching day/weekend.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Camroo said:

I reccoment dropping it in a Travel Bug Hotel as they are visited by people who are looking for TBs to take with them

Maybe it depends on areas, but most we've been, "hotels" have the worst issues of all other caches.    :)

We wouldn't think of dropping someone's property in a "hotel".  Look for watches.  Hoarders keep track... 

5 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Maybe it depends on areas, but most we've been, "hotels" have the worst issues of all other caches.

I think it DOES depend on the area.  We have several "hotels" nearby that many local cachers use as exchange spots - I'll drop a few TB's in a hotel; someone else will drop a few and pick up some of mine - if I can't find a cache in a reasonable time frame, I'll use one of these hotels, or sometimes I've used my own caches that are not hotels, per se, but are large enough to hold TB's.  TB's seem to move pretty well in this area.

I like to take the ones I am carrying traveling, but I'm never sure about leaving them in a place I'm not familiar with - I'll look at the history and frequency of visits, and the condition of the cache itself before actually dropping one.

6 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Maybe it depends on areas, but most we've been, "hotels" have the worst issues of all other caches

yeah it depends where you are... up here people go to hotels every day to specifically pick up trackables and move them to their mission...

7 hours ago, Camroo said:

I would be selective with TB hotels, as some have a bad record of TBs disappearing. I have left TBs in hotels, which were then never heard from again. Children and other muggles can learn where trinkets might be found. Also hoarders of TBs know where to add to their hoard. So TB hotels are not always safe, but it depends where they are. I have a TB hotel, but it's locked to keep muggles out.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, lilibet24 said:

Thank you for all your replies.  I have learnt now not to drop a TB in a cache that is not visited very often. 

Sounds good.  :)

We try to find a balance between visited often, and visited rarely. 

We've found many long-time players place in hides "just a bit further out..." here, and often-visited hides have the most go bye-bye.

- But couple months ago, I put a tag in a newer cache that was visited every-other day.  After I dropped it, only one has visited that hide since.   :huh:

On 8/29/2019 at 8:59 AM, Camroo said:

. . . for example i have had a ton of TBs Dropped in mingo and only about 3 came back out after like 6 months. 

Speaking of Mingo--It looks like somebody is raiding that cache and stealing TBs.  This, btw,  is a cache that is visited very frequently.   I was there in July and the cache listing showed about 70 trackables in it, but actually there were only two.  I took those two (logged them) and left another.  The one I left was grabbed before I had a chance to log my drop so it doesn't show Mingo in its history.  

• Helpful 1