Cuba Souvenir

How did HQ decide on a souvenir for a country that has no caching community (according to the reviewer that denied our recent event there)?

Cuba has comparatively few caches and even fewer cachers. The Bahamas seem much more likely, or any of the other Caribbean islands that don't have one yet. Very curious as to the rationale. This is not a complaint. We're happy to have the Cuba souvenir.

47 minutes ago, FLtravelers said:

How did HQ decide on a souvenir for a country that has no caching community (according to the reviewer that denied our recent event there)?

Cuba has comparatively few caches and even fewer cachers. The Bahamas seem much more likely, or any of the other Caribbean islands that don't have one yet. Very curious as to the rationale. This is not a complaint. We're happy to have the Cuba souvenir.

I expect that the size of the local caching community is a fairly minor factor in deciding which countries to have souvenirs for. The number of caches and the number of finds on those caches would be more important criteria. Even though there may not be many caches, Cuba is a popular tourism destination, so the caches probably get found quite a bit.

On a side note, I completely agree with the decision to stop the "I'm holding an event here even if nobody else will attend just so I can easily get a souvenir" events that were starting to get ridiculously common. It sounds like that's the reason your event was denied. If the event organizer would be the only one there, it isn't really a social gathering of geocachers.

Edited by The A-Team
  • Upvote 1
On 8/27/2019 at 3:16 PM, FLtravelers said:

Coincidentally, the only country in the Caribbean that I have ever visited (and found a cache) is Cuba.