Garmin Rino 530HCx won't work with geocaching.com anymore

13Survivors

Just recently I have lost the ability to download caches from the website to my Rino 530HCx.  I am being prompted to install Garmin Express, then use the webupdate  tool.  I have done this and my Garmin is recognized, but I keep getting stuck where the file won't send.  Surely Garmin and geocaching.com have a fix for this??  Please keep the snarky comments to yourselves, yes this is an older unit, but other than this it works great.  I have tried using multiple computers with both Win 7 and 10.

Edited by 13Survivors
Additional info
36 minutes ago, 13Survivors said:

Just recently I have lost the ability to download caches from the website to my Rino 530HCx.  I am being prompted to install Garmin Express, then use the webupdate  tool.  I have done this and my Garmin is recognized, but I keep getting stuck where the file won't send. 

How recently did this start?  This weekend, there was an issue where GPX files containing no GPX data were being sent to GPSrs in certain situations.  At least in one case, it cleared up.

Are you saying you had not used "Garmin Express" until now?  There may be another new(ish) problem where the plugin keeps asking to install Garmin Express, but "Send" works anyway when you ignore the popups.

What error are you getting when "the file won't send"?  Are you able to place GPX files manually?

I've had Garmin Express and Communicator installed and tried webupdate as well.  I've resorted to using EasyGPS.  I uninstalled Garmin Express to see if that would make a difference and it didn't.  It's an extra step, and the Rino only shows the name of the cache in the notes.  I've re-installed Garmin Express and when I run it, it says Garmin Express doesn't support this device, and to use webupdater.  I tried all versions of webupdater, still no joy.

Edited by 13Survivors
more info
9 hours ago, 13Survivors said:

I've had Garmin Express and Communicator installed and tried webupdate as well.  I've resorted to using EasyGPS.  I uninstalled Garmin Express to see if that would make a difference and it didn't.  It's an extra step, and the Rino only shows the name of the cache in the notes.

Garmin Communicator is not supported anymore, along with the old "Send To GPS" feature.  There's no plugin, but there's also no Garmin support and a whole bunch of their help files are also gone for discontinued devices. 

Your available options may be 3rd party software such as EasyGPS (which is a lite version of ExpertGPS), or GPSBabel, and GSAK which is currently free.  If you're only sending a cache or two, it may be faster to type coordinates manually (well, faster than working on software when it breaks).

Edited by kunarion
27 minutes ago, 13Survivors said:

Hmmmm, it used to...what happened?  Does ANY GPSR work with the Send to GPS?  It's so irritating that it is identified, but won't send to the unit???  Thanks for the replies all, much appreciated.

"Send To GPS" became very hard to keep working (and only if you pretty much removed any remaining Internet security functions). The similar sounding "Send To Garmin" replaced it a couple of years ago, and it uses Garmin Express.   "Send To Garmin" only works with a Garmin GPS that accepts GPX files directly.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, 13Survivors said:

Hmmmm, it used to...what happened?  Does ANY GPSR work with the Send to GPS?  It's so irritating that it is identified, but won't send to the unit???  Thanks for the replies all, much appreciated.

Nope.  :)

"Send to GPS" was canned after  browsers no longer wanted to risk security issues with plug ins.

Luckily Garmin chipped in with this site for "Send to Garmin" which worked similar, but many found their long-discontinued GPSrs weren't compatible (I'm one). 

I still load caches I'll do manually.  Takes less than two minutes, and you only need a small notepad for info, hints, and stuff.

I see that kunarion offered that too.  As HHL says, Basecamp another option.  

Edited by cerberus1
  • Helpful 1