Geocache week? Who tracks this?

Ellteejak

Saw an announcement for geocaching weekly challenge. Get a geocache every day for a week.  But can’t find what the reward is or who accounts for this if anyone. Is this just a generic announcement on geocaching.com? Because as a returning geocache person would like to take advantage of it. 

23 minutes ago, Ellteejak said:

Saw an announcement for geocaching weekly challenge. Get a geocache every day for a week.  But can’t find what the reward is or who accounts for this if anyone. Is this just a generic announcement on geocaching.com? Because as a returning geocache person would like to take advantage of it. 

Luckily you got a cache yesterday, or you'd lose out the day you asked about it.    :)

Find a  cache every day from August 25th,  through August 31st.    Get a souvenir on your profile.   Run !      :D 

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, JoJoUK said:

You can attend an event or do adventure task to complete this challenge 

I was thinking earlier today that it would have been nice if there'd been sufficient advanced notice to have organised an event for the final day of the streak so our local community could get together in convivial surroundings to share the highs and lows of our week of caching.

21 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Luckily you got a cache yesterday, or you'd lose out the day you asked about it.    :)

Find a  cache every day from August 25th,  through August 31st.    Get a souvenir on your profile.   Run !      :D 

So what does a souvenir on profile mean ?  Can someone show me a picture of one as example ? 

1 hour ago, Ellteejak said:

So what does a souvenir on profile mean ?  Can someone show me a picture of one as example ? 

"Souvenir" here is just like if you took a trip and came back with yet-another refrigerator magnet.   :D

- A reminder of a place or event, a memento.

They're found on your profile dashboard, or on your public profile ... the helpful shot from RuideAlmeida.  You have all states (so far).

Click on any of our names to go to our public profiles to view additional souvenirs (middle box at the top).     :)

Clicking on them has nice artwork, a photo, and/or tell a short story.

Edited by cerberus1
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

"Souvenir" here is just like if you took a trip and came back with yet-another refrigerator magnet.   :D

- A reminder of a place or event, a memento.

Or, now, more often also a marker of accomplishment achieved during a relatively short window of time.

18 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Or, now, more often also a marker of accomplishment achieved during a relatively short window of time.

I have refrigerator magnets that are souvenirs of places I've been. I have refrigerator magnets that are souvenirs of particular events that I've participated in. I have refrigerator magnets that were given to me as advertising by local businesses. They aren't all equally meaningful.

• Upvote 2
26 minutes ago, niraD said:

I have refrigerator magnets that are souvenirs of places I've been. I have refrigerator magnets that are souvenirs of particular events that I've participated in. I have refrigerator magnets that were given to me as advertising by local businesses. They aren't all equally meaningful.

Agreed.

Why we'd like to see sorting available sometime. 

Keep actual  "souvenirs" (states visited is one...) separate from accomplishments.   :)

• Helpful 2
2 hours ago, niraD said:
3 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

I don't disagree. Just clarifying that souvenirs don't only mark regions cached in (any more).

On 8/27/2019 at 11:59 AM, niraD said:

I also have refrigerator magnets and other items that I've collected while visiting various places, attending events, and even useful items with corporate logos on them.   One thing that they all have in common is that I chose to collect them and put them on my refrigerator.   The GS definition of souvenir diverges from the real world definition not only that they're awards for accomplishing some criteria but they're stuck on or refrigerator whether we want it or not.  

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I also have refrigerator magnets and other items that I've collected while visiting various places, attending events, and even useful items with corporate logos on them.   One thing that they all have in common is that I chose to collect them and put them on my refrigerator.   The GS definition of souvenir diverges from the real world definition not only that they're awards for accomplishing some criteria but they're stuck on or refrigerator whether we want it or not.  

Maybe you could look at it as a tacky fridge magnet given to you by a well-meaning friend?  If you can't bear to put it on your fridge, you can 'hide' it away in a drawer.  You can always get it out again when they come to visit. ;-)

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
13 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

Maybe you could look at it as a tacky fridge magnet given to you by a well-meaning friend?  If you can't bear to put it on your fridge, you can 'hide' it away in a drawer.  You can always get it out again when they come to visit. ;-)

I suspect that a well meaning friend would stop sending me tacky fridge magnets if I asked them.  I and others have asked GS for a way to stop receiving souvenirs.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I suspect that a well meaning friend would stop sending me tacky fridge magnets if I asked them.  I and others have asked GS for a way to stop receiving souvenirs.

Yep. 

- And the only thing we can really hide these unwanted magnets from is others.   

We like to keep our profile accurate for us and others who happen to look (we know you do...).   :)

They're just "greyed out" a bit on your profile dashboard, and not "hidden" at all.