Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
Calalily

Suggested feature: Live feed of finds

It would be cool if there was a “ticker” or live feed of the finds that are logged.  Similar to the live feed of donations as they happen on the Kiva website.  

I have a watch on several of my local caches but it would be cool to see who’s logging what caches at any given time.

Hope my suggestion makes sense.  Would love to hear your feedback if this has already been thought of. I could not find a similar posted suggestion.

7 hours ago, Calalily said:

It would be cool if there was a “ticker” or live feed of the finds that are logged.  Similar to the live feed of donations as they happen on the Kiva website.  

I have a watch on several of my local caches but it would be cool to see who’s logging what caches at any given time.

Hope my suggestion makes sense.  Would love to hear your feedback if this has already been thought of. I could not find a similar posted suggestion.

It almost sounds like you want to track your friend's geocaching activity in live time. Is that the suggestion? If so, I would not want that feature. 

• Upvote 2

There are privacy issues with this, unless it's simply a number ticker. And even then, seeing the number tick up one on a cache may take a long time.

Many people don't log in "real time". They wait until they get home, which may be hours or days later. So even if there were a "live" ticker, it wouldn't reflect the time people were actually at the cache.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Calalily said:

There are so many people who get creeped out by things like this.  :)

We've had issues with creepy stalkers before.  A few were simply over the audit on pmo caches. 

You want live feed...

I don't see any caches belonging to you in profile, so guess you're watching other's caches.

Luckily few here log at GZ, waiting to log finds when home.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

yeah.... its also a safety concern. if you do log your finds in real time, then people know where you are, and as much as i like to think that cachers wouldnt do something bad to people, we cant guarantee it. i dont think id like (even if they are my friends) seeing what i am logging, if i trusted them and wanted to show them what i found i would message it to them

• Upvote 1

As mentioned by several above, privacy is a big concern. On the other hand, what if the 'live' feed did not include the cacher handle, and was something like:

DNF logged on GC12 - 5/12/2000

Write Note logged on GC17 - 7/12/00

Found It logged on GC1FE7N - Cheese Rolling And Highwaymen

It would probably make sense to limit the what log messages were actually on the ticker. 

1 hour ago, Wet Pancake Touring Club said:

On the other hand, what if the 'live' feed did not include the cacher handle, and was something like:

DNF logged on GC12 - 5/12/2000

Write Note logged on GC17 - 7/12/00

Found It logged on GC1FE7N - Cheese Rolling And Highwaymen

It would be trivial to connect those to a cacher. Sure, it wouldn't be as easy if someone was backdating a log, but it would be trivial in the vast majority of cases where the most recently-submitted log is the most recent log on the cache listing.

I really don't see such a ticker as being very useful. The rate at which logs are submitted is far too high. From what I recall, even the "cache published" live map in HQ pops up new entries every few seconds, and that's just for the single log type. Add in all of the other types, and you'd have a blur of information.

Very interesting responses, thank you all.  I will address some of the points you raised:

I never thought of the stalking angle!  Creepy!  I only have one friend and it’s my husband who I geocache alongside so I wasn’t thinking of tracking him down.  I log my cache when I get home so I can write a proper log entry.

I thought it would be neat to have a ticker that said something like:

XXXXX Geocache Found! And maybe a link to it on the map (like Kiva)

Thank you to Touchstone for pointing out the map ticker at HQ.

The caches I’ve been looking at don’t get found very often so I wasn’t thinking of the worldwide scale and just how busy and overwhelming that would get.  I am still new to geocaching (found two a decade ago and restarted geocaching this month).  

When I look at the caches on the website in my city it doesn’t seem all that many caches are found that frequently. I wondered if it was a dying hobby?  That’s why I suggested the ticker, to see how many people are still actively geocaching around the world.

Thanks again to everyone for their responses. 

1 minute ago, Calalily said:

... When I look at the caches on the website in my city it doesn’t seem all that many caches are found that frequently. I wondered if it was a dying hobby?  That’s why I suggested the ticker, to see how many people are still actively geocaching around the world.

Often we see that once all locals found the caches, they're not visited again for some time.   :)

New cachers hit 'em when joining, folks driving through on vacation, or an extended cache run.

Some will head to other states for a cache on a list, needed for a challenge.

The one we've always gotten a kick of was how no one shows for days after someone finally logs  a FTF.   ;)

If you were tracking my activity you would see nothing all day and then see logs coming in at 23:00 or later on a caching day. So much for seeing in "real time" that caches are logged ;)

• Upvote 1

On August 26, 2019 at 5:43 AM, Touchstone said:

They have a live map at HQ, which you can see in the following video at about the 1 minute mark:

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2018/10/geocaching-hq-highlight-the-visitors-center/

I don't think that map is related to geocaching.  It looks more like a plot of ships moving on the ocean.  And it's not live; the dates shown in the upper right corner of the map go from May to July of 2012 during the approximately 2 seconds that are shown in the video.