Basic member posting on Premium Member cache

Ga Mountaineer

I have a challenge cache (GC59GMH) which, due to the nature of the requirements, was set up as a Premium Member only cache.  Lately I've been getting a lot on inane posts on it from a newbie cacher who is only a basic member.  How is that?  I always understood that basic members could not see, much less post on, premium member only caches.

It may be tough for a basic member to view details of a cache page, such as coordinates. But there are a couple of ways to log one if the GC code is known.  He might have access to a PM account of his parents or handlers.  Inappropriate logs may be encrypted or removed (or reported), regardless of membership status.

Wow, I'm seeing some annoyingly random posts on various caches by that guy.  I can't begin to guess what he's doing (OK, I guess looking at owner's cache lists only or public bookmarks and asking what the cache title means?).   Sweet, he "can't understand" the cache, but he had no problem finding the way to enter a log on it.  Yeah, sure.   :rolleyes:

I'd probably give it a couple weeks so he can get it out of his system, then delete at least the duplicates.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Ga Mountaineer said:

I have a challenge cache (GC59GMH) which, due to the nature of the requirements, was set up as a Premium Member only cache.  Lately I've been getting a lot on inane posts on it from a newbie cacher who is only a basic member.  How is that?  I always understood that basic members could not see, much less post on, premium member only caches.

Any basic member can log a pmo cache, and there's been methods for them to log before we joined (not much earlier than you).   :)

They can't get information from your cache (coordinates, description, ...).

IIRC, one reason for alternate logging methods is because of the many families with a few accounts (each member).

- A six member family would have to rob cash from the kid's college fund.     :D

If you feel that a member is harassing you with stupid posts on cache pages, it may be worth a report to HQ. 

Not too long ago, a promotion allowed basic members a free PM during it. 

Some get a free temporary (7-30 days) PM from Reviewers or HQ too.

That brief time would enable a basic member to load more pmo caches than they'd ever be able to look for...  

Edited by cerberus1
  • Helpful 1

I'm not sure he understands the different types of "mystery" caches, either.

7 hours ago, Ga Mountaineer said:

They sure can, and are allowed to, log finds on PM caches.

On 8/25/2019 at 10:36 AM, Ga Mountaineer said:

I have a challenge cache (GC59GMH) which, due to the nature of the requirements, was set up as a Premium Member only cache.  Lately I've been getting a lot on inane posts on it from a newbie cacher who is only a basic member. 

On 8/25/2019 at 10:44 AM, kunarion said:

Sweet, he "can't understand" the cache, but he had no problem finding the way to enter a log on it.  Yeah, sure.   :rolleyes:

I'd probably give it a couple weeks so he can get it out of his system, then delete at least the duplicates.

He may be someone playing with the app with no real clue what geocaching is all about.  With 4 finds, and gettingstuck on puzzles and challenges, he may be donein short order.  I concur with kunarion's advice to give it a couple of weeks, delete the duplicate logs, add the OM to negate the NM and NA (Perhaps contact your local reviewer to remove the NA - that's not needed at all) and my guess is this guy will just go away.

Side note: Just for kicks, I ran the checker and I qualify for this challenge!  Unfortunately, I have no idea when, if ever, I'll get to Georgia to sign the log!