"Global geocaching"

-CJ-

At least twice a month I get requests to log into the website, load a page with some geocache (which I would not ever load myself) and see if there's anything valuable on a picture of a GPS receiver (a digit or two). If there is nothing interesting, I should load the page at particular hours to catch the moment when these digits can be seen. Then I should make a screenshot and send it to some person who needs it.

With all respect to the diversity of interests that geocaching offers to its fans I should say that I find no fun in "Global Geocaching". Is this "Global Geocaching" really popular?

• Upvote 2

Go to the "Play" tab at the top of any cache page and click on "Search". Leave the text box empty and click on the magnifying glass. Up will come the number of geocaches in the world. At time of writing, it says "3,195,126 results, but this figure constantly changes". Click on the "Filters" button. In the "GEOCACHE NAME CONTAINS..." text box, type "GLOBAL GEOCACHING" (without the quotation marks). Hit the search button and up will come 20 results of the caches contained in this series.

They require international geocacher's help to locate the caches. I recently helped a fellow cacher from Denmark.

10 hours ago, -CJ- said:

At least twice a month I get requests to log into the website, load a page with some geocache (which I would not ever load myself) and see if there's anything valuable on a picture of a GPS receiver (a digit or two). If there is nothing interesting, I should load the page at particular hours to catch the moment when these digits can be seen. Then I should make a screenshot and send it to some person who needs it.

With all respect to the diversity of interests that geocaching offers to its fans I should say that I find no fun in "Global Geocaching". Is this "Global Geocaching" really popular?

Do you mean specifically that one series?  "Teamwork Caches" in general seem popular.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=814

Monitoring a web page for people would get annoying after a while.  I may try it once or twice if the cacher also did the work on a cache local to me so I could also get a smiley.

Edited by kunarion

I had never heard of this type of puzzle before until I solved one a few days ago. It just so happens that there's also one of these "Global Geocaching" caches in the same city, so I now know how to solve it. Contacting random cachers in various countries isn't necessary and seems overly invasive, especially if specific cachers are being frequently targeted. Puzzles like this can be solved without contacting anyone, and I believe the one I solved was intended to be solved through the use of technology, not random cacher pestering.

• Helpful 1