New cache alerts?

Geospycatchers

6 hours ago, Geospycatchers said:

Hi, with Premium membership is there way to be alerted of new caches in an area?  OR do I just need to periodically check the map?

There are so many variables available in notifications.  Definitely check them out so you can get notifications of new caches! I have the notifications set up for my home city and my husband's work city. 

Note, though, that you have to set up a separate notification for each CACHE TYPE!

As of right now, there are NINETEEN Cache Types listed on the "Create a Notification" page. Some of those you'd never pick.

Reasonably, this means that of you want to be notified about ALL caches with a few miles of your home, you need to set up seven or eight Notifications.

Although it requires you to check the site (rather than receive an email notification), you can set up a Pocket Query that specifies any caches of any type that haven't been found within a certain distance of whatever location you'd like.  That way you can see all the unfound caches (which would include any older unfound caches as well), sorted by distance from your base location.  It also includes all events, which is a nice way to see if there are any upcoming events in your area.

26 minutes ago, Camroo said:

yeah i dont know why you cant just have all cache types as a notification... the amount of times a multi or something came out near home that i didnt get because i forgot multis was brutal

Many people have cache-type-preferences, positive AND negative.

If I want to see every Traditional, but don't care about Mysteries...

If I don't care about Events....

If I love me a good Ape-Cache, but don't have a clue what the heck a "Wherigo" is (and I don't)...

So, sure, it's a pain to set up, and a GOOD design would be a Notification with a series of checkboxes, but applications grow in stages and when this was first put up, it was designed this way. It's likely that the hobby developed in an unexpected direction, rendering this feature awkward. So, sounds like an opportunity for you to make a suggestion to HQ to modernize this feature.

Maybe add the ability to say "HOME LOCATION" instead of having to enter your coordinates, too, but I don't want to hijack your idea.

Try the "Website" forum. https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/forum/139-website/

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
  • Helpful 1
20 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Many people have cache-type-preferences, positive AND negative.

If I want to see every Traditional, but don't care about Mysteries...

If I don't care about Events....

If I love me a good Ape-Cache, but don't have a clue what the heck a "Wherigo" is (and I don't)...

So, sure, it's a pain to set up, and a GOOD design would be a Notification with a series of checkboxes, but applications grow in stages and when this was first put up, it was designed this way. It's likely that the hobby developed in an unexpected direction, rendering this feature awkward. So, sounds like an opportunity for you to make a suggestion to HQ to modernize this feature.

Maybe add the ability to same "HOME LOCATION" instead of having to enter your coordinates, too, but I don't want to hijack your idea.

Try the "Website" forum. https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/forum/139-website/

My PQ does this and allows you to pick and choose only the cache types you want to see.  However, as noted, you have to go to the site to see the caches that would appear in your PQ and you only get a morning notification when your PQ is run (if you run it daily like I do).  It won't notify you via email when a new cache gets published but it will appear in the PQ when a new one is published.  If you're looking to rush out for a FTF, then this isn't the method I suggest.  If you're looking for a running list of newly published caches (regardless of their found status), then this wouldn't work either because as soon as it's found, it disappears from the PQ. You could also modify the PQ to not worry about the unfound status to just ones in your general area you haven't found. You could also modify the PQ to specify dates placed and run it on a weekly basis (or daily if you don't mind overlap).

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 12.58.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 1.02.02 PM.png

Edited by coachstahly
10 minutes ago, coachstahly said:

My PQ does this and allows you to pick and choose only the cache types you want to see.  However, as noted, you have to go to the site to see the caches that would appear in your PQ and you only get a morning notification when your PQ is run (if you run it daily like I do).  It won't notify you via email when a new cache gets published but it will appear in the PQ when a new one is published.  If you're looking to rush out for a FTF, then this isn't the method I suggest.  If you're looking for a running list of newly published caches (regardless of their found status), then this wouldn't work either because as soon as it's found, it disappears from the PQ. You could also modify the PQ to not worry about the unfound status to just ones in your general area you haven't found. You could also modify the PQ to specify dates placed and run it on a weekly basis (or daily if you don't mind overlap).

You don't even have to run it, just save a link to the PQ's preview page.  I have a similar thing with the Old Search results, where I've set the local cache list (out to 100 miles) as my start page in my web browser.  So if I open my browser in the morning, I can see new caches, and which haven't been found, even my owned caches that were found today.  And all of this is up-to-date and I see them even when notifications are slow or broken today.  So while people are in the Forums trying to get some Notification fixed, I'm getting an FTF.  :cute:

16 minutes ago, coachstahly said:

All good info.

If this works for you, Geospycatchers, then do this!

Both approaches have benefits and, uh, unbenefits.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't make the suggestion, anyway.

50 minutes ago, Camroo said:

yeah i dont know why you cant just have all cache types as a notification... the amount of times a multi or something came out near home that i didnt get because i forgot multis was brutal

I am not interested in all cache types. I only want notifications for certain types.

However, this suggestion  is not a bad idea for those who want notifications of everything.