Making caches in different countries

TheMaiX_

If you expect to live in one place for an extended period of time, sufficient to maintain a geocache that is "permanent" rather than "temporary," then you can update your home coordinates to reflect that place and submit a cache for review.  The minimum timeframe in order for a geocache not be considered "temporary" is three months.  

If you move your home coordinates but are only traveling in an area, like on vacation or for business trips, then this is misleading to the reviewer.  Eventually it will catch up with you.  It is better in this case to leave your home coordinates at your permanent residence, and explain your maintenance plan to the reviewer.  You must demonstrate an ability to respond to maintenance issues (wet log, full log, missing container, damaged container) within a matter of a few weeks/months.  You can designate a local geocacher to assist you in this plan.  

Example reviewer note:

"Although I live in [Country A], I travel on business to [Country B] every few months, so that I can maintain this geocache during my visits.  If an issue arises in between my visits, [name of Country B geocacher], a well-known local geocacher, has agreed to assist me."

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2

We have military families stationed in my area for various time frames, but for the most part, longer than the minimum 3 months.  They typically will place a few caches in the area while they're here, and then collect them and Archive their Listings when they move on.  One of my favorites was an ammo can along a bike path with coins from around the world that the cache owner had collected on their tours.

• Helpful 1

There has to be a way to maintain the cache. So  for example if the cache gets broken or missing and it needs to be replaced and your somewhere else then you can't really handle it. If you have a family member or freind that's in the area of the cache and can maintain it then thats when you can hide one.

I've lived in 5 or 6 countries since starting caching and have hidden caches in all of them. However, when I move on I archive those caches and (very important) collect the containers as I'm not able to maintain them anymore.

So basically: place caches, archive them when you leave, pick them up and don't leave geolitter behind.

Edited by terratin
  • Upvote 1