Get ready for Streak Week

Max and 99

This caption appeared on my phone, with the Geocaching app logo,  when I woke up this morning, but when I unlocked my phone, it was gone. I can't find any information anywhere. I didn't imagine it!

All I saw was something like: "Get ready for Streak Week. Find a "

I only use the official geocaching app.

I'm clueless.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

I was starting to question my sanity!

The email notification just arrived:

Streak Week 2019

Introducing Streak Week! Challenge yourself to go on 7-day geocaching streak! Find a cache every day from August 25 – 31 to earn a souvenir. Can you beat the streak?

You can find answers to some of your frequently asked questions below.

What is a geocaching streak?

A streak means you logged a geocache, an Adventure Lab Cache, or attended an Event Cache every day for a consecutive number of days. You can track your streak on your Geocaching.com statistics (Premium feature).

How can I earn the ‘Streak Week: August 2019’ souvenir?

Log a geocache, an Adventure lab, or attend an Event Cache every day for 7 days from Sunday, August 25, 2019 through Saturday, August 31, 2019.

Do Adventure Lab finds count?

Yes. Download the Adventure Lab app to find an Adventure near you.

Do I have to log my finds by August 31, 2019?

No. As long as you found a cache every day from August 25 – 31, 2019 you will be awarded a souvenir as soon as you log all finds online.

Edited by Max and 99
1 hour ago, Lynx Humble said:

They didn't give us a lot of warnings this time. Good thing I kept cache near my home.

Yeah, I'm not thrilled about the two day notice. If I had known a month ago that this would be coming, I'd have kept more easy-to-grab caches near home rather than use them for the last promotion. With the last stage of the MatM promotion requiring a bunch of finds, I expect quite a few members will have used up many of their close-to-home caches, and TPTB haven't left enough time for that inventory to be replenished.

While the idea isn't bad, the timing definitely is.

• Upvote 5
17 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

Yeah, I'm not thrilled about the two day notice. .......

While the idea isn't bad, the timing definitely is.

I agree..... with school aged sons who cache with me, this is going to require some last minute negotiations with mum regarding some dinner time distractions!

Edited by lee737
  • Upvote 2
  • Funny 3
1 hour ago, The A-Team said:

With the last stage of the MatM promotion requiring a bunch of finds, I expect quite a few members will have used up many of their close-to-home caches, and TPTB haven't left enough time for that inventory to be replenished.

Meanwhile, those of us who ignored the Museum promotion didn't deplete our supply of close-to-home caches. Maybe Groundspeak is trying to appeal to us with this promotion?

• Funny 1
22 minutes ago, niraD said:

Meanwhile, those of us who ignored the Museum promotion didn't deplete our supply of close-to-home caches. Maybe Groundspeak is trying to appeal to us with this promotion?

Was thinking similar.  :D     Now we're going to one every coupla weeks ?  Lotta free time over in HQ it seems...  

I didn't get the notification this time, so was kinda hoping that maybe there was one of those "algorithm" things disregarding our account.

- Since we still don't have a on/off switch in our settings.   ;)

Edited by cerberus1
addification

My longest ever streak is 6 days and that was over the Christmas/New Year holidays in 2014/15. It's still winter in this part of the world, and with cold, wet and windy weather forecast for later in the week, sitting in a heated room with a good book sounds like a better option. But, well, maybe that's all part of the challenge. We'll see.

26 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I didn't get the notification this time, so was kinda hoping that maybe there was one of those "algorithm" things disregarding our account.

I don't think any notifications have been sent out to members. The first I heard of this was on Twitter a few hours ago. I bet a lot of people won't learn about it until after they've already missed a day or two of the streak. I've posted it in our local Facebook group so people know.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

I don't think any notifications have been sent out to members. The first I heard of this was on Twitter a few hours ago. I bet a lot of people won't learn about it until after they've already missed a day or two of the streak. I've posted it in our local Facebook group so people know.

4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I was starting to question my sanity!

The email notification just arrived:

Streak Week 2019

12 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

I got a "New post on Official Blog" email a few hours ago.

These are the kind of promotions I wish Groundspeak would treat like a "lifetime achievement" award, the way video games do, and not tie it to any specific week or range of dates. So, like in a video game, if I accomplish this set list of tasks, regardless of how long it takes me,  I am awarded the achievement.

My way of caching is getting out once or twice a week at most, so I'm almost certainly not going to earn this souvenir. That doesn't really bother me but at the same time, let's say I have a week of vacation and not much planned later this year or next summer or a few years from now. Then I could go out every day and find a cache for seven days and earn the souvenir, but it could be earned at any time after the promotion went live. One of the limiting factors for me as far as most promotions go is that my free time and the dates Groundspeak sets rarely coincide.

Edited by Crow-T-Robot
  • Upvote 5
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Dr.MORO said:

Man, why so late an announcement, only a few days before...?

A few days? It's already the 24th here and the email came through at 3:44am this morning, so for those of us with an E in front of our longitude, that's less than 24 hours notice. When I went to bed last night I'd planned to go down to Sydney today to do some caching, but have now postponed that so I can at least get off on a positive start.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, barefootjeff said:

A few days? It's already the 24th here and the email came through at 3:44am this morning, so for those of us with an E in front of our longitude, that's less than 24 hours notice. When I went to bed last night I'd planned to go down to Sydney today to do some caching, but have now postponed that so I can at least get off on a positive start.

Ahhh, sorry for not being 'inclusive' and 'considerate' of the E region, and the Southern hemisphere as well.

I wish GCHQ was also more so as well for this campaign. And also hope is a thoughtful for any other future campaigns as well.

Planning on going on vacation for a week from tomorrow, without much thought of Geocaching as traveling together with far-away visiting and non-cacher family. Priorities...

May need to 'beg' for a geocache find each day... 

3 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

My longest ever streak is 6 days and that was over the Christmas/New Year holidays in 2014/15. It's still winter in this part of the world, and with cold, wet and windy weather forecast for later in the week, sitting in a heated room with a good book sounds like a better option. But, well, maybe that's all part of the challenge. We'll see.

It's supposed to be 25C today. Tomorrow (Sunday) is another day and I don't usually think or plan that far ahead. But the way the weather is who knows what we'll get in a weeks time?

I think my longest streak was last year on a Rhine cruise stopping in a new port and grabbing a cache  each day then over to Scotland and Wales for steam train tours and doing the same thing. Didn't plan the 23 day streak, it just happened.

I had thought to go out on Sunday and get a bunch of caches ... now I will probably limit myself to 1 to save the others.  <NEGATIVE EFFECT>

As a long time cacher, there are very few left 'close to home', so each trip is a bit longer.

And this is the third promotion in a row.  Every now and then they can be fun, but this is getting overdone.

Just let me go cache on my own whim.

• Upvote 1

Ahhh man, this is funny. They really can't win. :laughing:

How about, if you can do it, do it; if you can't, then don't.  Each 'promo' will appeal to or be more easily completed by different sets of people.  It's just the way things go.

I don't think there's an issue being so close to another promo, but I would agree that perhaps an announcement at the beginning of the month about the upcoming streak weak would have been a better strategy to make more people excited to do it. Or choose which promo to do, if not both. Or none. :)

• Upvote 6
15 hours ago, fuzziebear3 said:

And this is the third promotion in a row.  Every now and then they can be fun, but this is getting overdone.

Just let me go cache on my own whim.

Go ahead - cache on as you normally would and don't worry about the souvenirs or promos.  No one is forcing you to earn every souvenir or complete every challenge promo there is!   This is giving more people an opportunity to participate, in something - I don't think GS is expecting everyone to go after every promo.  With so many offered, you've got choices!  If it sounds like fun, or a challenge you want to take on, then do it.  If you can earn a souvenir or meet the challenge with your typical caching, all is good.  If you choose to ignore it and not even try, that's fine too.  You don't "gotta get 'em all"!

Hubby and I cache together; a retirement hobby we've picked up.  We started in March of 2017; we set a personal goal to find a cache a day in 2018 and due to that we now have a streak of 404 days.  We've also found, or DNF'd, or otherwise attempted nearly every cache in our home area.  We don't need a 7 day streak this month.  We don't need that souvenir.  We may cache during that week, but we decided we are not going to make the effort to find one cache every day - we had enough of having to travel 10 miles or more every day to find our "COTD" in 2018.  At the end it was getting to be more of a chore, and now we want to cache because we WANT to!

We did complete the Mystery at the Museum and closed the case - we did a dedicated caching day to grab the last 15-20 caches we needed in the final days of the promo.  And that was pretty much because we'd enjoyed finding the jewels and doing the targeted/selective caching that required in a new (translate "cache rich") area.  It helped us narrow down the caches we tried to find.  Then we came home to find we needed 35 more, and we knew we'd have to plan at least one day to go get most of them.

Hubby got the International Geocaching Day souvenir, I did not.  Oh, well.  And we decided tonight to forego the caching streak.  Neither one of us is ready to do another "streak", even if it's only 7 days!  We will cache when the mood strikes us.  MAYBE, if there's a run of new caches nearby next week, and we opt to go after those FTF grabs, it will happen, but we are not planning on it!

Edited by CAVinoGal
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Each 'promo' will appeal to or be more easily completed by different sets of people.  It's just the way things go.

2 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

With so many offered, you've got choices!

I'm sure I must be in a vanishingly small minority these days, but coming from a younger muggle background of hiking, orienteering and rogaining, my idea of caching is along the lines of half a day or more of walking through the forest (or kayaking around the waterways), usually just to find one cache, with bonus points if it's a multi or mystery and extra bonus points if it takes a few days to recover from it. All the recent promotions (Planetary Pursuit, Hidden Creatures, You Might Be a Geocacher If, Cache Carnival, Mystery at the Museum and now this one) have discouraged that style of caching, instead focusing on lots of quick finds where having some power trails close to home seems to be the key to participating. It's a bit like all the choices in that Monty Python spam sketch.

That said, I'm still half-tempted to have a shot at this, if I can find some reasonably appealing cache-a-day caches, preferably that I can get to by public transport (the $2.50 daily cap for seniors sure beats $1.57 a litre for petrol), and if the forecast bad weather later in the week doesn't derail it. But I'm not really interested if it means driving 50 or 100 kilometres each day just to find a bison tube hanging on a suburban fencepost or in a rainwater drain.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

How about, if you can do it, do it; if you can't, then don't.  Each 'promo' will appeal to or be more easily completed by different sets of people.  It's just the way things go.

I don't think there's an issue being so close to another promo, but I would agree that perhaps an announcement at the beginning of the month about the upcoming streak weak would have been a better strategy to make more people excited to do it. Or choose which promo to do, if not both. Or none. :)

I sure agree with you here. No matter what someone, a company in this case, does,,, people are going to complain. Groundspeak could give every geocacher here a free premium membership for a year and there'd be complaints. We should remember, this is a free promotion that doesn't even have to exist in the first place. ;)

I realize that geocaching souvenirs are fun for many.  But, is it really a disaster if a person misses out on one? Does getting or not getting one make any difference in that person's life? I really don't understand the fascination with souvenirs but even if I did collect them, I wouldn't become disgruntled when a promotion came out that didn't fit my schedule or was too challenging for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
15 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

This is one that I might be able to complete!  I like to see one, once in a while, where I might have a chance.  The others, "Find 50 Caches Give-Or-Take But There's A Twist", I'm happy with maybe a couple of the souvenirs (there are several souvenirs in the promotion), I do not gotta catch 'em all. 

Plus, I have a cache or two in the works.  If a few other locals placed cool new caches right now, there'd be enough even for people who've found the rest in town.

4 minutes ago, DreamMachine74 said:

Streaks are just not my thing...I pulled off an 8 day one when I was in High School, but these days with work, caching is limited to 2 or 3 days. Going for  a streak would come and feel much like a chore at that point anyway, I don't lie the idea of just making up an incentive on the whim.

Yep.  Our longest streak was only eleven days, and only because the other 2/3rds was a FTF monster.

She'd leave at midnight in PJs if it hit her phone.   A dozen more folks would show there too.  Sheesh...

To me, this is still a hobby.  That streak thing would seem like a job to me, and I've already put a few years of those in.   :D

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Yep.  Our longest streak was only eleven days, and only because the other 2/3rds was a FTF monster.

She'd leave at midnight in PJs if it hit her phone.   A dozen more folks would show there too.  Sheesh...

To me, this is still a hobby.  That streak thing would seem like a job to me, and I've already put a few years of those in.   :D

For "31 Days Of Geocaching" I thought I'd test myself and see how far my streak may go.  Six.  Then I lost the ability to find caches.  But I managed three more "numbered day caches" during the rest of the month.

So with this new one, I dunno how many I might find, but I can guess.  I'd guess "six".  :anicute:

• Funny 1
2 minutes ago, kunarion said:

For "31 Days Of Geocaching" I thought I'd test myself and see how far my streak may go.  Six.  Then I lost the ability to find caches.  But I managed three more "numbered day caches" during the rest of the month.

So with this new one, I dunno how many I might find, but I can guess.  I'd guess "six".  :anicute:

:D

I could do seven.  There's hundreds around me untouched.

But then I'd catch heck from locals for doing them (nondescript, low D/T hides came up at an event once...).   :laughing:

We didn't cache the  entire "31 days".  The other 2/3rds not wanting a "reward" for something she did anyway.

Now you can ask to have them removed.

11 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Haha, similar here :)

I do have a lot of unfound caches around me but I just can't be bothered to cycle to a random urban micro just for a souvenir. I know I will rush out for a FTF within 5km of my home but I think there have been 2 or so in the last many months.

• Helpful 1

With a nice warm sunny winter's day, I thought I'd at least make a start this morning with a T2.5 cache just on the Sydney side of the Hawkesbury River (still a 50km drive each way though). It was a nice hike along a bushland track followed by a bit of a rock scramble up to GZ, so just the sort of cache I enjoy. On the way back to the car it struck me that perhaps I should add another twist to the idea of a streak and do them all au naturel, but, with 14 degree maximums forecast later in the week and a wind chill that'll push that well down into single figures, perhaps not this time. Substantial rain is now forecast here for tomorrow and Tuesday, so, depending on how it looks in the morning, this might well end up being a streak of one.

Looks like I miss day one and more. Two days ago a fierce bushfire went through part of my Fernleigh Track series. Nearby residents were evacuated. The track has been closed where its burnt out due to trees possibly falling or embers flaring. I have had to disable 6 caches until I can get in and check them. Added to that, I'm halfway through placing a dozen new caches a bit further south. They will be too late for this promo. Gonna be busy.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad I saw this topic a couple of days ago - the email just arrived in my inbox this morning.  With all the caches around here - even if I've cleaned up most within 5 miles - I shouldn't have a problem finding a cache a day, if I feel like getting off my duff each day...  But still it would have been nice to have a little more notice than the day it starts...

9 minutes ago, The Jester said:

I'm glad I saw this topic a couple of days ago - the email just arrived in my inbox this morning.  With all the caches around here - even if I've cleaned up most within 5 miles - I shouldn't have a problem finding a cache a day, if I feel like getting off my duff each day...  But still it would have been nice to have a little more notice than the day it starts...

I noticed the following:
I first got a notice on my app Friday morning, but was not able to read the entire thing because when I unlocked my phone, the message disappeared.

Very soon after I posted on the forum, about 12 minutes later, I received a notification for the Blog, telling about the Streak.

The next morning I received a newsletter email, telling about the Streak.

So these three notifications were sent/received at very different times.

Edited by Max and 99

It did bug me that I had to wait until Sunday to start geocaching when I had planned to go out Friday night, but not getting that Mystery at the Museum challenge has definitely given me the fuel needed to try and accomplish this one. Already scoped out ones near the bf's home and will hopefully land one a day. 1 down, 6 more to go. Happy caching! :antenna:

This is going to work out well for us. My wife and I are 6 weeks into a 3-4 month RV trip in the Northeast US.  We don't always log our finds since we're more into seeing all the things rather than running up the numbers so this will force me to log my finds.

_Q_

Nope, did not go out to find any geocache today, had plans already, so this campaign is done for me already.

Too bad for late announcement from GCHQ.

Really hope that these delayed and also sudden announcements do not happen with any future Geocaching campaigns again.

I'm curious, this morning I went out and made a find for day 2 of the streak, logging it about an hour ago, yet when I go to my dashboard statistics page, it says my current streak is one day with a find on the 25th. Is this a timezone issue and if so, did my find yesterday morning (the 25th) not count because it was still only the 24th in Seattle?

Edited by barefootjeff
2 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

I'm curious, this morning I went out and made a find for day 2 of the streak, logging it about an hour ago, yet when I go to my dashboard statistics page, it says my current streak is one day with a find on the 25th. Is this a timezone issue and if so, did my find yesterday morning (the 25th) not count because it was still only the 24th in Seattle?

That would have been a good thing to clarify in the FAQ.

37 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

On your list of finds they're both showing as "Today" but they're showing correct dates on the cache page so you should be good.

5 hours ago, colleda said:

On your list of finds they're both showing as "Today" but they're showing correct dates on the cache page so you should be good.

It depends on which part of the system they're using to calculate the souvenir. If it's another "midday UTC" thing I'm probably scuttled.

Edited by barefootjeff