pocket query with filters_Honolulu, Hawaii

Journey4Cache

Hello, fellow cachers

I'm sure this is an easy one but for the sake of time since my trip is coming up fast I wanted to get some quick guidance. We will be traveling to Honolulu, HI soon and plan to cache! I want to make a pocket query that is big enough to cover the entire island with pre-set filters to only pull caches that are within a certain terrain and have over 5 favorites. Can someone provide a step by step on how to do this? I've made queries in the past but don't normally because I use GSAK for all of my waypoint exports. I usually use the cachely app for offline maps, small hikes and P&G runs but when for longer hikes I prefer to use my GPSr (etrex 30). Leads me to my second question, if some of you have cached and hiked in Hawaii did you have to pre-load any topo and trail maps to your GPSr? I already have the worldwide Basemap enabled in my settings and a few New England topos with trails. I'd like to see the trails on my GPSr when in Honolulu since its a hikers paradise and I've heard the dense rainforest can disorient you quickly. 

Thanks for the feedback, 

Journey4Cache

Edited by Journey4Cache
refine topic title
4 minutes ago, Journey4Cache said:

because I use GSAK for all of my waypoint exports.

Then use GSAK for getting caches as well. PQs from Groundspeak do not contain FavPoints, hence you can't filter for them.

Call "GetGeocaches" from menu Geocaching.com access. Do your settings:

e3c4b9cdf297f05825de757fd190936e.png

0d96f17d10f3677f2d016a1927d533ad.png

Hit OK

Happy Hunting

Hans

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
35 minutes ago, HHL said:

Then use GSAK for getting caches as well. PQs from Groundspeak do not contain FavPoints, hence you can't filter for them.

+1

For persons who are adept at GSAK and use it, might as well use it for more things.  I somehow keep getting stuck, and have never actually managed to use GSAK for anything.  I really do have many layers of questions, which I would still be refining for years after, say, a trip to Hawaii. B)

The Geocaching.com web site's New Search can filter Favorites, so if it's just a radius from a point plus terrain and Favorites, that's great for a List.  Then make a PQ of the List.  Cachly and the Official App can load either.

list1.jpg

Edited by kunarion
1 hour ago, HHL said:

Call "GetGeocaches" from menu Geocaching.com access. Do your settings:

e3c4b9cdf297f05825de757fd190936e.png

0d96f17d10f3677f2d016a1927d533ad.png

Hit OK

Happy Hunting

Hans

Hans- I am having an ah-ha moment because I knew how to do this in GSAK I've just been out-of-touch with caching for a while so I'm losing my mo-jo. 

Thanks for the quick reply, this was very helpful

-Journey4cache

37 minutes ago, kunarion said:

+1

For persons who are adept at GSAK and use it, might as well use it for more things.  I somehow keep getting stuck, and have never actually managed to use GSAK for anything.  I really do have many layers of questions, which I would still be refining for years after, say, a trip to Hawaii. B)

The Geocaching.com web site's New Search can filter Favorites, so if it's just a radius from a point plus terrain and Favorites, that's great for a List.  Then make a PQ of the List.  Cachly and the Official App can load either.

list1.jpg

Kunarion, 

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't know you could do this on Groundspeak with the 'new search' feature, very cool! GSAK can do a lot too but its very technical and not so user-friendly to navigate with a lot of hidden features hidden in the banner bars. To this day I still have a bunch of questions myself. I've noticed if I don't use it for a while I forget how to do basic things. 

Thanks for the quick reply,

Journey4cache

Hans,

Thanks for the video! We are excited and can't wait! Here is what I have already on my Garmin, I wasn't sure if the US_North East OSM maps would also show me the hiking trails while in O'ahu? Do you think its worth looking for one online? I found some topos available for free download online but are not OSM which I'm guessing is the creme of the crop and are only available for purchase? Garmin wants to sell me some of course. Thanks

OSM.PNG.58ae98f9a722ea4ca27b996f0c3228db.PNG

On 8/23/2019 at 1:23 PM, Michaelcycle said:

Journey4Cache you need the Hawai'i map. See http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/usa-hawaii-osm-topo-routable

Hi there,

I have downloaded the US_Hawaii_OSM_Topo_30a.7z. I cannot find an easy program online to unpack the 7z file. Can you please provide a little more feedback? I'm using Windows 64bit. After extracting and unpacking the files how do I know which files to copy and paste into the GPSr? Or would I need to use a Garmin program to get the maps onto the GPSr? Thanks for the help

Journey4Cache

8 hours ago, Journey4Cache said:

Hi there,

I have downloaded the US_Hawaii_OSM_Topo_30a.7z. I cannot find an easy program online to unpack the 7z file. Can you please provide a little more feedback? I'm using Windows 64bit. After extracting and unpacking the files how do I know which files to copy and paste into the GPSr? Or would I need to use a Garmin program to get the maps onto the GPSr? Thanks for the help

Journey4Cache

Sorry, not  a Windows user. I'm sure you can find something through a search engine.

9 hours ago, Journey4Cache said:

Hi there,

Journey4Cache

Did you already get a map file that ends in "*.img"?  If so, here's one page that explains how to install it: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin

It's not super complicated, but there's a learning curve.

If you really need to unpack a ".7z" file, you could try what I do.  I install a utility called "7-Zip", unpack my file, then delete 7-Zip.  My priority is, where possible, finding a version of whatever file I need, in ordinary *.zip format. :)

On 8/26/2019 at 11:07 PM, kunarion said:

Did you already get a map file that ends in "*.img"?  If so, here's one page that explains how to install it: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin

It's not super complicated, but there's a learning curve.

If you really need to unpack a ".7z" file, you could try what I do.  I install a utility called "7-Zip", unpack my file, then delete 7-Zip.  My priority is, where possible, finding a version of whatever file I need, in ordinary *.zip format. :)

I did download the .7z program to try to unpack the file and I'm guessing I did it wrong. Am I suppose to delete 7-zip after using the program? I do believe this method is a difficult learning curve because then I used the gmap tool to format the file. This method didn't work. The maps I have installed now on my GPSr will do. Yes, I was able to get a file with the right format .img however, I tested the maps yesterday and wasn't thoroughly impressed since I didn't see many trails. I have topo and routable some roads appearing but I don't see any trails. Compared to my cachely offline maps which I like better because it shows trails, roads, and terrain. I was hoping to get this type of trail coverage on my handheld gpsr rather than using my phone while hiking in the thick rainforest. 

54 minutes ago, Journey4Cache said:

I did download the .7z program to try to unpack the file and I'm guessing I did it wrong. Am I suppose to delete 7-zip after using the program? I do believe this method is a difficult learning curve because then I used the gmap tool to format the file. This method didn't work. The maps I have installed now on my GPSr will do. Yes, I was able to get a file with the right format .img however, I tested the maps yesterday and wasn't thoroughly impressed since I didn't see many trails. I have topo and routable some roads appearing but I don't see any trails. Compared to my cachely offline maps which I like better because it shows trails, roads, and terrain. I was hoping to get this type of trail coverage on my handheld gpsr rather than using my phone while hiking in the thick rainforest. 

If you zoom in, to the trails appear? 

There's no requirement to uninstall 7-Zip.  But if you use it only this one time, remember that you've previously got along fine without it.  I don't like things like that popping up later when I didn't expect it, asking me to update it, having to go look up issues, when I used it only once for one file.  :anicute:

7 hours ago, kunarion said:

If you zoom in, to the trails appear? 

There's no requirement to uninstall 7-Zip.  But if you use it only this one time, remember that you've previously got along fine without it.  I don't like things like that popping up later when I didn't expect it, asking me to update it, having to go look up issues, when I used it only once for one file.  :anicute:

Yes, even when I would zoom in on the map the trails were not showing on my GPSr. I was also cross-referencing looking at my offline maps on my phone on cachely comparing the same locations from gpsr to my phone map and the phone map was showing all of the trails in the same area. Maybe I should have more maps enabled on my gpsr? I tried enabling more than one map and then only enabling one map and I still couldn't get the trails to appear. The current maps enabled on my device are worldwide DEM basemap NR, OSM generic routable US_HI_2019 and Hawaii Topo. 

I haven’t looked at Hawaii trails, but I saw a local trail pop up in Open Cycle Maps.  Otherwise, I’ve tried more specific maps, such as one famous trail, or National Park trails per region.  Many aren’t available or are incomplete, at least for free.  But I’d expect popular trails in Hawaii would be easier to find.

1 minute ago, kunarion said:

I haven’t looked at Hawaii trails, but I saw a local trail pop up in Open Cycle Maps.  Otherwise, I’ve tried more specific maps, such as one famous trail, or National Park trails per region.  Many aren’t available or are incomplete, at least for free.  But I’d expect popular trails in Hawaii would be easier to find.

Good point, I had the same thought. I was looking in a very popular area 'diamond head state park' which has a trail up to the famous monument. The trails were not showing up on the current 'free' maps I have enabled. Oh well, that's probably all you will get for free anyway. Mahalo! 

1 minute ago, Journey4Cache said:

Good point, I had the same thought. I was looking in a very popular area 'diamond head state park' which has a trail up to the famous monument. The trails were not showing up on the current 'free' maps I have enabled. Oh well, that's probably all you will get for free anyway. Mahalo! 

The for-pay subscription map sites insinuate that they got all the trails, but I wonder. B)