Proximity of Caches

VentureForth

Y'all, for the second time, now, I've found a cache in a fairly large park literally just FEET away from another cache.

I'm not a squatter, and I don't believe in asking for permission from the first cache placer before a second placer chooses to place another one in the same park.

What I AM asking for is that you expand the enjoyment level of the park by placing them a decent distance away from other caches in the same park.

The two I found last night are both really popular. Why would one be and the other not? They're only 200 feet apart from each other, and placed by the same person.

This occurs in several areas.

I DO encourage multiple caches in the same park. I think it gives someone a great opportunity to find several at one shot. I would just like to see a bit more thought put into placing new ones so close to older ones.

There are also literally hundreds of untouched parks in the greater area. Let's get some variety out there and broaden our horizons.

I don't mean to rant, and I certainly don't want to offend anyone by my remarks. I just feel like it needed to be said. Thanks!

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I have been tempted to place more than one cache in a particular park.

my only cache to date, "Hangin' by a Thread" has at least 100 great hiding spots with 50 yards. There are also a number of great spots through out the park. I have considered doing a multi-cache with 3-5 legs, but have resisted the impulse (for now).

While I was out scouting for a place to put the next cache (park, pod and contents already selected!), I must have logged 5 waypoints that looked like promising places to stash a cache. This one probably WILL become a multi-cache.

I guess there is just a strong urge to want to utilize all the best hiding places, even if they are really too close together.

Sea Wolf of The Wolfpack

The temptation is GREAT. While I was at these two last night, there could have been a cache under every fallen tree. But it was such a large park with paths already in place, it was a shame that I didn't have an excuse to explore more of the park.

I personally have two in the same park. They're only .6 miles apart from each other, but you'll need at least an hour and a half to find both.

Don't allow me to dismay anyone. I just am not too thrilled about walking 100 yards into a 100 acre park to find a cache, and then find that the other one in the park is on my way back to my car.

---------------

Speaking of multi-caches...... I was wondering. Do most people make thier multi's so that they are more or less linear (always getting further from the starting point or proceeding in a logical manner) or do some have you crisscrossing your path so often that you are not sure where (or how far away) the final cache will be from the starting point?

Would you find it annoying to bounce in a seemingly random pattern all over a park (or city if one thinks on a grand scale for multis! icon_wink.gif) before finding the final cache?

Finally, what are people doing for the intermediate pods/tags? I thought about having dogtags made up with the name of the cache and the coords for the next leg (and maybe a DO NOT REMOVE warning). Do you think these tags could be placed in (relatively) plain view in public areas without them being disturbed? Like zip-tied to a picnic table leg?

Sea Wolf of The Wolfpack

Speaking of multi-caches...... I was wondering. Do most people make thier multi's so that they are more or less linear (always getting further from the starting point or proceeding in a logical manner) or do some have you crisscrossing your path so often that you are not sure where (or how far away) the final cache will be from the starting point?

Would you find it annoying to bounce in a seemingly random pattern all over a park (or city if one thinks on a grand scale for multis! icon_wink.gif) before finding the final cache?

Finally, what are people doing for the intermediate pods/tags? I thought about having dogtags made up with the name of the cache and the coords for the next leg (and maybe a DO NOT REMOVE warning). Do you think these tags could be placed in (relatively) plain view in public areas without them being disturbed? Like zip-tied to a picnic table leg?

Sea Wolf of The Wolfpack

I've found that there are two most common types of multicaches. The first is just a simple two step operation where you go to the first location and it has the coordinates to the physical cache. The other most common type is where you go to several locations and take clues or hints to find the final cache.

An example of the first kind of multi can be found at Erwin Park II and Spring Creek Park Preserve.

Good examples of the second kind include:

Viva McKinney and Music Maker Cache.

As for the second kind, they are examples of EACH kind. Viva makes a cross pattern to get the clues needed to find the final, and Music Maker is more linear.

Even the puzzles are original and interesting. Viva makes you find information at each location and incorporate it into a coded position, where Music Maker actually includes puzzle pieces in three separate traditional caches when combined reveal the coordinates of the final stage.

I would avoid sending someone back and forth 3 miles each way 10 times following nothing but coordinates. That would get real tedious. Time is of the essence particularly for me, 'cause I have such little precious daylight between after work and sunset. And frankly, that would really irk me. icon_redface.gif

---------------

I've found that there are two most common types of multicaches. The first is just a simple two step operation where you go to the first location and it has the coordinates to the physical cache. The other most common type is where you go to several locations and take clues or hints to find the final cache.

An example of the first kind of multi can be found at Erwin Park II and Spring Creek Park Preserve.

Good examples of the second kind include:

Viva McKinney and Music Maker Cache.

As for the second kind, they are examples of EACH kind. Viva makes a cross pattern to get the clues needed to find the final, and Music Maker is more linear.

Even the puzzles are original and interesting. Viva makes you find information at each location and incorporate it into a coded position, where Music Maker actually includes puzzle pieces in three separate traditional caches when combined reveal the coordinates of the final stage.

I would avoid sending someone back and forth 3 miles each way 10 times following nothing but coordinates. That would get real tedious. Time is of the essence particularly for me, 'cause I have such little precious daylight between after work and sunset. And frankly, that would really irk me. icon_redface.gif

---------------