Help: All my trackables seem to disappear.....

ylechien

I have put 3 time a trackable in a cache. All 3 eventually disappeared.

Am I doing something wrong?
How can I prevent people from keeping the trackables? They should place them in a different cache, so it can travel around.

I really like the idea of having a trackable that visits all kind of places, but if they keep disappearing it is becoming no fun (and costs money).

These are the trackables:

TB6GGYC

TB8T5NC

TB6VXER

Kind regards,

Yvonne

57 minutes ago, ylechien said:

Am I doing something wrong?   NO.  IT HAPPENS 

How can I prevent people from keeping the trackables? YOU CAN'T. 

They should place them in a different cache, so it can travel around. THEY SHOULD. 

I really like the idea of having a trackable that visits all kind of places, but if they keep disappearing it is becoming no fun (and costs money).

TB6GGYC

TB8T5NC

TB6VXER

Kind regards,

Yvonne

I think it depends more on what cache you put them in. Trackable longevity, at least in part relies on keeping them away from new cachers. Place them in caches that have been in place for some time (less likely to be muggled), in more out-of-the-way spots, preferably multis/puzzles. Attach a small cache-buddy type tag explaining what to do to each. Of course the caches I mentioned will mean your TBs will sit unmoved for a lot longer, but this is the tradeoff. Ours have no emotional value to us, and are cheap, so send them off, realising eventually they'll all go, part of the game.....

17 hours ago, ylechien said:

How can I prevent people from keeping the trackables? They should place them in a different cache, so it can travel around.

TB6GGYC

TB8T5NC

TB6VXER

Curious why you think that ?   :)

Peanuts (TB6GGYC) is probably long-gone.  Not even a mention after it was Dropped into a cache 12/15.

You could have marked it missing years ago.  Surprised the auto mark-missing algorithm  didn't catch it.

- But the frog (TB8T5NC),  you just placed in a cache 6/19, and  farmtagz (TB6VXER) have been moving along , and recently was retrieved again 8/19.

The reality of this side-game is that "anyone can play", and once that trackable leaves your possession you have no control of it.       ;)

Edited by cerberus1
20 hours ago, ylechien said:

There's a whole pinned thread on how to make viable Trackables.  And that includes ideas on what makes an item attractive to the sticky-fingered finder... or especially, how to make it less desirable as a personal prize.

There is such a variety of ways a TB can disappear, I won't start again detailing the reasons.  But I have supposed that while a coveted toy is stolen and the generic "TB Dogtag" easily discarded, that a cool solid Geocoin is kept because it is a coin.  That means it's available to be returned to the game any time.  That doesn't mean you'll ever get it back.  Plus, the Takers can justify to themselves any excuse to keep it (such as keeping it in a binder at home, while logging "Visits" as if they carry it).  But someday... a Geocoin may actually be returned to play.

Edited by kunarion
3 hours ago, kunarion said:

"TB Dogtag" easily discarded, that a cool solid Geocoin is kept because it is a coin

Yeah like kunarion said, geocoins i dont reccomend putting out anything that is a nice solid piece of metal like that.. ive seen alot of people take pictures of the coin and attached the TB code to it.