Integrating Geocaching.com into our own website

SKOOL21

hi,

we want to link geocaching.com web site into our own website, so that our community can access geocaching through our website. like inline browsing that is a link on our website that opens geocaching.com in a frame inside our website. is this possible and what permission do i need and from where? I contacted geocaching.com requesting for API use but have no response yet after a month has passed. 

What is the benefit to Groundspeak of that which you propose?

What is the benefit to you to have the Geocaching website open in a smaller frame on your presumably commercial website, rather than just a link to the Geocaching.com site?

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

You definitely won't be able to incorporate website content without the Geocaching/Groundspeak branded frame, and embedding a whole entire website in a sub-frame is ... not very practical, especially today. And definitely do not resort to 'scraping' the website - they do not like that, and as a web developer I fully support that position (the underhanded exercise of copying web content and repurposing it merely because it's there, at the expense of the host website)

What you might find more valuable is the API. Alas, AFAIK no new API partners are  being given access. So... unless you can create a very very generous proposal that Groundspeak might partner with you on for content sharing, I think you'll be quite disappointed.

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 8/22/2019 at 7:20 PM, K13 said:

What is the benefit to Groundspeak of that which you propose?

What is the benefit to you to have the Geocaching website open in a smaller frame on your presumably commercial website, rather than just a link to the Geocaching.com site?

actually we wanted to make it a bit easier for our students, we were planing to have a button on our website which leads to a page that has information about geocaching and its integration into our website. means you do not need to go to another website just access it from the website within. anyway i understand your point and i am thankful to you for taking the time to write. it looks like i have to follow your suggestion of just hooking a link to. 

Just now, SKOOL21 said:

actually we wanted to make it a bit easier for our students, we were planing to have a button on our website which leads to a page that has information about geocaching and its integration into our website. means you do not need to go to another website just access it from the website within. anyway i understand your point and i am thankful to you for taking the time to write. it looks like i have to follow your suggestion of just hooking a link to. 

I contacted geocaching for advice and permission. they suggested the API, but that looks a bit beyond our needs. so better we stuck with a button link to geocaching.com.

thanks for your time and suggestion. this thing is very new in our area. we want to promote it we want to use it as a teaching method we want to engage our students in this activity.

have a nice day.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, SKOOL21 said:

we were planing to have a button on our website which leads to a page that has information about geocaching and its integration into our website. means you do not need to go to another website just access it from the website within

You can certainly create your own "What is geocaching?" page on your own site, and even embed one or a few of their tutorial videos they've published to youtube. But yes, embedding their website directly within yours really is a no-no. Glad you've come to decision!