Does 'No commercial content' rule apply to Lab Caches?

Delta68

I was under the impression that cachers had to be offered the chance to create a set of Adventures Labs and then the caches were reviewed before being published, so I was somewhat surprised to see a set of Lab Caches placed by a bus company and encourages uses to use their own app to plan the trip!

Mark

At least at the time when I "won in the draw" and got the chance the create an Adventure Lab Cache (early this year), there was no review whatsoever. When I met a reviewer at an event, I asked about this, and they said that they can't even see the content of an unpublished ALC, let alone do anything to prevent publishing in case of a rule violation.

There are guidelines, and they do have a commercial content element - LINK Adventure Lab Guidelines

Sounds like these may be in violation.   I think the only way to report this would be through the Help Center portal.  It's something staff would handle, not a local reviewer.

As far as reviewer involvement, per the article this only happens IF there's a physical placement and the Adventure is intended to last more than 3 weeks, "If your Adventure will be available for longer than three weeks and you are placing physical items, you must get clearance for the location(s) from your local community volunteer reviewer."

Edited by Isonzo Karst
13 minutes ago, Isonzo Karst said:

There are guidelines, and they do have a commercial content element - LINK Adventure Lab Guidelines

That's quite intersting. The Comercial content guidelines for Adventure Labs seem a lot more vague than for normal caches

Lab Caches:
Adventures cannot require or encourage players to pay a fee for a product, service, access, or for charitable purposes. Access to Adventures must be free for participants.

Normal Caches:

Cache pages perceived as commercial will not be published. Commercial content includes any of the following characteristics

• Overtones of advertising, marketing, or promotion
  • Suggests or requires the finder do any of the following
    • Go inside a business
    • Interact with employees
    • Purchase a product or service
  • Name, links, or logos of the following
    • Businesses
    • Commercial products
    • Competing games or cache listing services
  • Links or logos of agencies and organizations (including nonprofit organizations), unless needed for permission

This suggests that Lab Cahces DO allow advertising, marketing, or promotion.

To chime in on this, we ourselves are exploring new ways in which this platform can be used in new and innovative ways.  This means things like Education sector (imagine if you're a teacher and want to give your students a self-guided tour of a demonstration forest to learn the names of trees), Arts sector (I went to the Mega in Scotland—the street art in Aberdeen UK is amazing!).  Perhaps I'll start a thread to help generate ideas.

On 8/22/2019 at 10:07 PM, ampdavid said:

To chime in on this, we ourselves are exploring new ways in which this platform can be used in new and innovative ways.  This means things like Education sector (imagine if you're a teacher and want to give your students a self-guided tour of a demonstration forest to learn the names of trees), Arts sector (I went to the Mega in Scotland—the street art in Aberdeen UK is amazing!).  Perhaps I'll start a thread to help generate ideas.

Good idea to start a new topic. As I noticed today idea about trees is interesting, but keep in mind that most of the valuable parks and botanical gardens needs to pay a fee on entrance. Same story with National Parks. So it's make this idea sligtly limited.

Another complication:

Get permission: By creating an Adventure, you agree that you have all necessary permissions from the landowner or land manager to place your Adventure Lab caches at that location. If we become aware that any portion of an Adventure is in an inappropriate location, even if not prohibited by law, the Adventure may be removed from our website and apps.

Street art is ok - but who can guarantee that the same mural can be in this place next year?

Just for example.

On 8/19/2019 at 3:57 PM, Delta68 said:

So partnership is ok?

Another example: https://labs.geocaching.com/

In the middle is a museum scenario - Spaceflight Academy. Paying fee is $4. So?

In other words - can I make a scenario in a museum or national park with entrance fee, having or suitable permissions?