How do I get free premium?

sparsh_k

32 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

You do have a good number of PM caches around you.  Add in advanced caches too,  and it does seem tough.  

I noticed the area of your last find could keep you busy for some time, free of a lotta PMs and advanced...

IIRC, an email to  Geocaching HQ  (hit "contact") sometimes gets you a temporary PM.

Good luck.   :)

I had 5 finds in the downtown area because i was in that area for some event my sister went to. 

22 hours ago, sparsh_k said:

There’s a lot of caches in my area, but almost all of them are premium. And I can’t get my parents to drive me or even let me pay for it with my own money. So is there a way to do surveys and offers to get premium like on some website?

I can't help but notice that your post and your displayed icon go together perfectly. That's cute.

Keep in mind, if you get a free P-Membership from HQ, it'll probably be for a very limited duration, like a month! The reason they give those out is to give a Basic Member a chance to evaluate Premium Membership benefits and decide whether it's worth the thirty bucks a year.

Plan for that! After the trial run you'll revert back to being a Basic Member. Maybe you can make the case to your parents about how valuable it would be to you, and they'd let you squirrel away two and a half bucks a month and pay them back for an initial investment in your problem-solving skills, your connection with the out-of-doors and any number of other personal development benefits!

Good luck.

• Helpful 1
20 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

I can't help but notice that your post and your displayed icon go together perfectly. That's cute.

Keep in mind, if you get a free P-Membership from HQ, it'll probably be for a very limited duration, like a month! The reason they give those out is to give a Basic Member a chance to evaluate Premium Membership benefits and decide whether it's worth the thirty bucks a year.

Plan for that! After the trial run you'll revert back to being a Basic Member. Maybe you can make the case to your parents about how valuable it would be to you, and they'd let you squirrel away two and a half bucks a month and pay them back for an initial investment in your problem-solving skills, your connection with the out-of-doors and any number of other personal development benefits!

Good luck.

Last I heard, the free PM is only for a week now.

6 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Last I heard, the free PM is only for a week now.

That's good for a LOOK at PM-ship. I don't think it really lets the average person fully kick the tires, especially if you apply for it and it gets granted before you're READY. Just getting your &^%$ together could burn a couple of days. If you plan on going out say, on Saturday, then you might only have an effective trial period of a day or two.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun

A 7 day could get you a database of ((10*1000 caches in pocket queries) + (16000 caches via API)) *7 (that's 182000 caches when carefully planned). So even only 7 days worth of PM could get you outdoors caching for a while keeping in mind that caches get disabled and archived as time goes by but you could get a few weeks out of it while still having reliable data.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:00 PM, on4bam said:

A 7 day could get you a database of ((10*1000 caches in pocket queries) + (16000 caches via API)) *7 (that's 182000 caches when carefully planned). So even only 7 days worth of PM could get you outdoors caching for a while keeping in mind that caches get disabled and archived as time goes by but you could get a few weeks out of it while still having reliable data.

All true, but will your average Basic Member looking to see what's behind the shiny paywall be ready and able to leap into action when the curtain gets lowered?

i completely understand the Issue as i was, and still is a person not old enough to drive themselves around but see if you could get your parents into it. thats how i got "into" cough cough... addicted to the game. sometimes the people you least expect to want to go caching are the best at it.

• Upvote 1

Don't you have a bicycle? I've know teenage geocachers cycling around to geocache. I was cycling around my suburb from about 12 years old, although not to geocache as the hobby didn't exist then. Later I cycled in the countryside. I still at times go geocaching by bicycle. I am headed to a cache today by bike.

Edited by Goldenwattle
Spelling
  • Upvote 1

Go to Google Rewards, an app on the phone, and answer surveys. they are short and only take a minute or so. you earn anyway from 10cents to 60 cents per survey. Not much, I know, but that is how I paid for my premium membership along with buying music and some other costs on other apps. I'm not sure if it is available on iPhone as I don't have anything to do with iPhones, Apple products etc.

22 hours ago, NightFall806 said:

You can do that to or ask a local reviewer if you can have a free 30 day trial for premium. 

This is correct. The free trials are for 30 days and are only available to basic members who have never been a premium member. They are true "free" trials, no credit card is required. At the end of the trial (30 days) your membership reverts back to basic.

16 minutes ago, Ice and Wind said:

This is correct. The free trials are for 30 days and are only available to basic members who have never been a premium member. They are true "free" trials, no credit card is required. At the end of the trial (30 days) your membership reverts back to basic.

Really?

Just now, Max and 99 said:

Ok. Thanks for confirming. It was reported that the free trial is now only for one week.

I'm only referring to the free trails that are available for reviewers to give out. Perhaps there are shorter period ones available from other sources, I don't know, but reviewers have access to 30 day trial codes and are encouraged to give them out to anyone that's interested. Again, they're only available to basic members who have never been a premium member. I'd encourage the OP to contact the local reviewer they normally work with and ask.

• Helpful 1
6 minutes ago, Ice and Wind said:

I'm only referring to the free trails that are available for reviewers to give out. Perhaps there are shorter period ones available from other sources, I don't know, but reviewers have access to 30 day trial codes and are encouraged to give them out to anyone that's interested. Again, they're only available to basic members who have never been a premium member. I'd encourage the OP to contact the local reviewer they normally work with and ask.

It's definitely worth asking!

On 8/20/2019 at 7:48 PM, Goldenwattle said:

Don't you have a bicycle? I've know teenage geocachers cycling around to geocache. I was cycling around my suburb from about 12 years old, although not to geocache as the hobby didn't exist then. Later I cycled in the countryside. I still at times go geocaching by bicycle. I am headed to a cache today by bike.

I do have a bike. The thing is I cant leave the neighborhood on my bike and I’ve gotten all the caches in my neighborhood. Sorry for the late reply.

There is an option for a member to gift you a premium membership, get to know a few cachers around (with your parents permission ) once you have build up some trust, give them the $$$ and they can gift you a year premium membership.

I do this for a couple friends who do not like to use their CC's online, see the link below

https://shop.geocaching.com/default/gifts/gift-certificates/12-month-premium-membership-gift-card.html?utm_source=geocaching&utm_medium=links&utm_campaign=Geocaching Links

21 minutes ago, coman123 said:

There is an option for a member to gift you a premium membership, get to know a few cachers around (with your parents permission ) once you have build up some trust, give them the $$$ and they can gift you a year premium membership.

I do this for a couple friends who do not like to use their CC's online, see the link below

https://shop.geocaching.com/default/gifts/gift-certificates/12-month-premium-membership-gift-card.html?utm_source=geocaching&utm_medium=links&utm_campaign=Geocaching Links

You do realize that you're instructing a minor to ask a non-relative adult to buy something for them online, right?

Parents' permission or not, it's wrong.

Reminds me of my precious childhood standing outside of liquor stores.  "American Graffiti", anyone?

• Upvote 3
9 hours ago, sparsh_k said:

Got premium! Thanks everyone.

Nice. Have fun!

And sorry to say but I was just clicking around (wanted to see what cool caches you have found ;-)) and found this one: https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=e8aaacf4-5b58-4f80-aec6-404caedbc8a4

Shouldn't this be a DNF - did not find - as you couldn't reach it? Yes it should.

Take your bike (cycling is fun!) and go get this cache really - reach the box, sign the logbook and make it a real find! Thorns? No problems for adventurers, aren't they?

• Upvote 5
On 8/28/2019 at 3:25 PM, TeamRabbitRun said:

You do realize that you're instructing a minor to ask a non-relative adult to buy something for them online, right?

Parents' permission or not, it's wrong.

Reminds me of my precious childhood standing outside of liquor stores.  "American Graffiti", anyone?

Why again is it wrong?