Oregon 700 Compass/Map Dual Display

Kocina

23 minutes ago, Kocina said:

Hi,

do you have any idea how to display map& the compass & the distance to the cache on the same screen? Should choosing the geocaching dashboard do the trick? If so it doesn't work :(

I would be really grateful for your help.

If you set the Geocaching Dashboard as the Map's dashboard, and then be sure you are currently navigating to the desired cache, you get that little compass, distance and the map.  It won't of course work for a waypoint, so nothing but a Geocache, it's the Geocaching Dashboard.

The Geocaching Dashboard as Maps' dashboard looks like this:

geocache.jpg.3b9315b60f30699951885b65380c0f01.jpg

It's just the map with little compass and nothing else. To get the map/compass/distance all in one I have to choose Hike activity with geocache dashboard:

hike.jpg.1ee77dceaf78fd890a988da113b6b102.jpg

So finally I've got what I need. But I'm wondering if there's any difference in navigating depending on which type of actvity I choose. It seems the geo dashbord is simply not editable. Is it even possible??

The waypoints - yes, I'm aware of that, but thanks :)

Nope :( It's just allowing me to move the map. Look:

943053660_mapwithgeodashboard.jpg.54d2c9bb6ff3bd8a1a479ecde925b113.jpg

(yes, I've just found out how to do the screen captures ;) )

The Geocashing dashboard in not allowing to add to the map anything, not only the compass. The small data fields, altimeter or whatever I choose is not working on that dashboard. It is on any other. What's wrong?

When the dashboard is open, there's an up arrow just below it. And when it is hidden, it changes to a down arrow at the top of the screen. With one tap (and sometimes it takes some precision to tap the right spot), you can hide/show the dashboard. That feature makes these units quite useful, especially to those who complain that the dashboard takes up too much map space (I don't think it does).

54 minutes ago, Kocina said:

Nope :( It's just allowing me to move the map. Look:

943053660_mapwithgeodashboard.jpg.54d2c9bb6ff3bd8a1a479ecde925b113.jpg

(yes, I've just found out how to do the screen captures ;) )

The Geocashing dashboard in not allowing to add to the map anything, not only the compass. The small data fields, altimeter or whatever I choose is not working on that dashboard. It is on any other. What's wrong?

That seems right.  Well, that's how the Geocaching map works, including the Geocaching Live map.  In the menu, if I tap the "Map" icon instead of the "Geocaching" icon, I see Geocaches on the map and whichever dashboard I chose.  You might try that.  Load or select a cache using the Geocaching map(s), then start Navigation to a cache, and then open the "Map" (the icon called "Map").  Now you have the dashboard and the map.

I don't do all that, I switch between a map and compass, because I prefer as big a compass as possible.  It's fast and easy to swap screens. 

A lot of compact information is too busy for me at the cache site.  I don't even use the Geocaching Dashboard for serious cache hunting.  Without cache name and coordinates in view, I tend to on my way to the wrong place (especially, corrected coordinates not being "corrected" when I thought they were).  Without distance, I can't tell where I'm to go.  So all that stuff fits the four field Small Dashboard.  The final field is different for different screens.

Edited by kunarion
20 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

I suggest some reading here, especially under Operation > Dashboards.

I was done, believe me.. ;) But thank you anyway, this page is really great.

20 hours ago, kunarion said:

I switch between a map and compass, because I prefer as big a compass as possible.  It's fast and easy to swap screens. 

A lot of compact information is too busy for me at the cache site.  I don't even use the Geocaching Dashboard for serious cache hunting.  Without cache name and coordinates in view, I tend to on my way to the wrong place (especially, corrected coordinates not being "corrected" when I thought they were).  Without distance, I can't tell where I'm to go.  So all that stuff fits the four field Small Dashboard.  The final field is different for different screens.

It's quite convincing you know... I have to try that. Thanks for inspiration : )

21 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

When the dashboard is open, there's an up arrow just below it. And when it is hidden, it changes to a down arrow at the top of the screen. With one tap (and sometimes it takes some precision to tap the right spot), you can hide/show the dashboard. That feature makes these units quite useful, especially to those who complain that the dashboard takes up too much map space (I don't think it does).

Love you guy! I've read your post once more because what you'd said (sometimes it takes some precision to tap the right spot) made me wondering what I'm doin' wrong. And it's THIS arow, not THAT arrow! And it worked : D

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate that. Happy geocaching : )