Preview and other questions

dymmot53

Hey Could use a little help either how to or show me a link I can go to

I'm getting ready to program my 1st cache page and have a few  questions 

When and how can I preview my progress?

How do you get a message to stream across the cache page?

Have something softly and slowly fade in and out?

Thanks

1 hour ago, dymmot53 said:

JavaScript and similar code will be filtered out. The only way to do these things that comes to mind is to use an animated GIF.

But keep in mind that your cache description will be viewed in non-browser environments where animated GIFs won't work.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, dymmot53 said:

When you write the page you can save ad view at various points. It doesn't become publicly available until it is published - and to do that you have to submit it for publication. The buttons to do that are fairly obvious iirc - just check what you press! Even if you do submit it for publication you can unsubmit it and continue to edit as much as you want. It doesn't have to be perfect first time out.

Scrolling can, i think, still be done using a <marquee>Text here</marquee> tag. It's pretty old school stuff but I think it still works.

Fading is much harder to do - I imagine it will have to be an animated GIF, which comes with all sorts of problems.

Is there a specific reason you want to do these things? If it's just "because they're cool" then I'd suggest against doing that! If it's an integral part of, say, a puzzle then you'll need to explore the options.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
9 hours ago, dymmot53 said:

Thanks

All of that "text-scrolling and fading stuff" is a real annoyance to the many of us that use a GPS.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
10 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

Scrolling can, i think, still be done using a <marquee>Text here</marquee> tag. It's pretty old school stuff but I think it still works.

That's pretty amazing, as the use of a  marquee tag has been criticized pretty much from the beginning. 

I haven't tried it, but it might be possible to fade text without using javascript.   Check out CSS animations: https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/tryit.asp?filename=trycss_anim_opacity

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

That's pretty amazing, as the use of a  marquee tag has been criticized pretty much from the beginning. 

I haven't tried it, but it might be possible to fade text without using javascript.   Check out CSS animations: https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/tryit.asp?filename=trycss_anim_opacity

I suspect the webkit aspect of that might get taken out - although it is worth a try at some point anyway. I can't remember if CSS needs to all be inline as well?

Browser support makes me shudder slightly though...

Edited by Blue Square Thing
3 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

I suspect the webkit aspect of that might get taken out - although it is worth a try at some point anyway. I can't remember if CSS needs to all be inline as well?

Browser support makes me shudder slightly though...

I suspect that the CSS would have to be inline on a GC listing.  As I said, I've not tried this and only stumbled upon it.   I'm more of a middleware/backend developer so don't keep up with UI options.

On 8/15/2019 at 3:49 PM, dymmot53 said:

I was told by 2 of the best CO in my area to slow down try bells and whistles later.

Sage advice!  It definitely helps in formatting cache pages if you are familiar with HTML, and can add some inline CSS, but the best advice is KISS.  A lot of stuff doesn't look the same or show up at all on GPS devices, and apps, as it does on the cache page in a web browser.  I'll do basic centering, a bit of bolding, add some spacing around stuff, and have text wrap around photos or images so it looks good in a browser and is still very readable on a phone app or GPS device.  

On 8/16/2019 at 4:36 AM, NYPaddleCacher said:

I suspect that the CSS would have to be inline on a GC listing.

As there is no way to link to an external stylesheet, any CSS has to be inline, and very simple elements at that.   Some things I've tried (can't recall offhand now what they were) had no effect at all; some took a bit of tweaking to get it to look right on my screen, but it doesn't look right on others.  Keep it basic, and simple for consistency across devices.

Edited by CAVinoGal
Spelling corrections
  • Helpful 3