FEATURE REQUEST: End of Special Event summary and "personalized" message

HeroBiX

Mystery at the Museum just finished, would be amazing with some kind of notification saying something to each and everyone who is playing when they login after the special event finished. 

I didn't finish the whole event, It felt like someone ripped the last pages of the book out for me. No real ending for the user experience. It would be amazing with some notification or message when I log back into geocaching.com, either on desktop or mobile, that gives me a summary and an ending to the whole special event, like the final chapter which ties everything together.

For example, AFTER an event has finished, when user logs in to the app in the mobile or web, the could receive a message like this: 

Congratulation! You finished 3/5 steps and you found X caches! 
Only Y% came as far as you did! Great job! 
You found X more caches during this time than last year. 

Stay tuned for next special event through: "What medium" 

I think it would be amazing having some closure for the special events. They are amazing, they make me get back into Geocaching and I am all excited and then... it just ends... I fell like I am just left on a field with no feedback saying that it is over and that I did great. 

Yes, if user goes to their profile, the Special Event is still there. Would be amazing that it would add: "Finished" and when you open the finished event, a small summary at the top would be amazing! Saying just a few final words to the user. 

Another example:

If the Special events finishes at 4pm on Monday the 24 of Aug 2019

Then, when player logs in to use the mobile app or the website AFTER 4pm on Monday the 24 of Aug 2019, they will receive a message saying telling the user in a story kind of way, with the theme of the special event, that the event has finished and thanking the user for being a part of it. 

Edited by HeroBiX
updated to be clearer that this is about AFTER the special event has FINISHED

Maybe I am a bit early regarding the forum post. 

I was also thinking about each and every user. Now when the event ended, my app was just back to normal, no message or no notification saying that the event is over. 

This is for great feedback for the players when playing. 

Right now it feels like someone ripped out the last chapters in a really exciting book, it feels like it was no ending for it. 

Thats why I think it would be amazing if there would be a notification or message next time the user logs into the app on either mobile or web, they get some closure for the special event. 

I updated the original post to focus on the single user experience. 

6 hours ago, HeroBiX said:

It could be very different then my suggestion, would be nice with a summary or maybe a small text saying: 

We did it! we got the thieves and returned the jewels! Thank you for helping out!

The actual text used in the souvenirs was a bit more fulsome than your suggestion.  First, from "Jewels Recovered":

Good work, agent! You recovered all 15 of the stolen jewels. Sources are telling us that the code to the vault was changed by the thieves when they stole the jewels. Accessing the vault to return the jewels will require deciphering the code. Good luck!

Then, from "Case Closed":

Congratulations and well done, agent! You have successfully solved the Mystery at the Museum. Thanks to you, the historic Teague-Ulmer Museum’s gem exhibition is saved.

Feels like I am not being understood. 

This message I am talking about is AFTER the special events is finished. NOT when people finish the different achievements/finishing stages. 

Thats what I am trying to say that right now it feels that someone ripped out the last chapter in the book, there is no notification or message when the special event is over to summarize and thanking the player for being a part of it. 

Again, this is for AFTER the special event has FINISHED! 

If the Special events finishes at 4pm on Monday the 24 of Aug (This is an example)

Then, when player logs in to use the mobile app or the website AFTER 4pm on Monday the 24 of Aug, they will receive a message saying telling the user in a story kind of way, with the theme of the special event, that the event has finished and thanking the user for being a part of it. 

Which means that the user would get a nice ending to the event.

Does that make sense? 

20 minutes ago, HeroBiX said:

Thats what I am trying to say that right now it feels that someone ripped out the last chapter in the book, there is no notification or message when the special event is over to summarize and thanking the player for being a part of it. 

I think a problem with that might be determining who was actually taking part in the promotion. Many times, cachers will get at least the first souvenir in a promotion without actually having an interest in it, for example in this one the detective souvenir only required finding one cache, and even though only about one in twenty caches had the detective, it's still likely that someone not interested in the promotion would get it at some point in the month. From the project-gc numbers Keystone quoted for the souvenirs, it appears only a small proportion of the global caching community took part.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

From the project-gc numbers Keystone quoted for the souvenirs, it appears only a small proportion of the global caching community took part.

12 hours ago, Keystone said:

Here are the latest statistics on these souvenirs from Project-GC:

138,777 accounts earned the "Briefed on the Case" souvenir.
58,043 accounts earned the "Evidence collected" souvenir.
40,099 accounts earned the "Jewels recovered" souvenir.
25,965 accounts earned the "Case closed" souvenir.

I have no idea how many cachers are active normally, so I can’t comment on the first figure, but I’d say over 30% going on from that single Detective clue to gather all of the Evidence shows a pretty decent level participation.

Of those, almost 70% then went on to gather all of the Jewels, and 65% of those went on to close the case (despite the unimaginative nature of that last stage).  HQ must be delighted.

1 hour ago, IceColdUK said:

I have no idea how many cachers are active normally, so I can’t comment on the first figure, but I’d say over 30% going on from that single Detective clue to gather all of the Evidence shows a pretty decent level participation.

Of those, almost 70% then went on to gather all of the Jewels, and 65% of those went on to close the case (despite the unimaginative nature of that last stage).  HQ must be delighted.

Yeah, I don't have a good feel for how many active cachers there are worldwide but the 26,000-odd completed just struck me as a bit low. From project-gc, here are the numbers who got the final souvenir in each of the last eight promotions:

• Road Trip - 52,402
  • Mission GC - 33,647
  • Mary Hyde - 47,251
  • Planetary Pursuit - 44,553
  • Hidden Creatures - 32,195
  • You might be a geocacher if - 55,953
  • Cache Carnival - 35,501
  • Mystery at the Museum - 26,491

Assuming that all the MM souvenirs would have been issued by now (and that project-gc has caught up with the final figures) I'm not sure from those numbers if HQ should be all that delighted.

• Upvote 2
47 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Yeah, I don't have a good feel for how many active cachers there are worldwide but the 26,000-odd completed just struck me as a bit low. From project-gc, here are the numbers who got the final souvenir in each of the last eight promotions:

• Road Trip - 52,402
  • Mission GC - 33,647
  • Mary Hyde - 47,251
  • Planetary Pursuit - 44,553
  • Hidden Creatures - 32,195
  • You might be a geocacher if - 55,953
  • Cache Carnival - 35,501
  • Mystery at the Museum - 26,491

Assuming that all the MM souvenirs would have been issued by now (and that project-gc has caught up with the final figures) I'm not sure from those numbers if HQ should be all that delighted.

I should have done my research!

Still, I was genuinely surprised at how good the completion rates were from one souvenir to the next.  I’d have expected a much higher drop out rate, particularly for the last one.

I can’t remember what most of those previous promotions entailed, but I wonder how many achieved them without any planning, interest or even knowledge?  I think this one would be much harder to achieve randomly.

Edited by IceColdUK
7 hours ago, HeroBiX said:

Feels like I am not being understood. 

This message I am talking about is AFTER the special events is finished. NOT when people finish the different achievements/finishing stages. 

Again, this is for AFTER the special event has FINISHED! 

If the Special events finishes at 4pm on Monday the 24 of Aug (This is an example)

Then, when player logs in to use the mobile app or the website AFTER 4pm on Monday the 24 of Aug, they will receive a message saying telling the user in a story kind of way, with the theme of the special event, that the event has finished and thanking the user for being a part of it. 

Which means that the user would get a nice ending to the event.

Does that make sense? 

I think I understood...

You'd like to see more than what promotions already provide.  But I don't see this as an event, it looks (to me) like most other games.

The reality is a promotion was offered, and as a thank you, all those who participated got a souvenir for those parts completed .    :)

• Love 1
9 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

I think a problem with that might be determining who was actually taking part in the promotion. Many times, cachers will get at least the first souvenir in a promotion without actually having an interest in it, for example in this one the detective souvenir only required finding one cache, and even though only about one in twenty caches had the detective, it's still likely that someone not interested in the promotion would get it at some point in the month. From the project-gc numbers Keystone quoted for the souvenirs, it appears only a small proportion of the global caching community took part.

You can send it to the people who unlocked at least the first or second stage. Pretty sure that they have ways to pretty sure figure out with a geocacher attended or not :)

10 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

I think a problem with that might be determining who was actually taking part in the promotion.

Many times, cachers will get at least the first souvenir in a promotion without actually having an interest in it, for example in this one the detective souvenir only required finding one cache, and even though only about one in twenty caches had the detective, it's still likely that someone not interested in the promotion would get it at some point in the month. From the project-gc numbers Keystone quoted for the souvenirs, it appears only a small proportion of the global caching community took part.

Agreed.    I've participated in some, others not interested.  Yearly was okay, but this every couple months thing (I feel) is getting a bit much.   :)

I wasn't participating in this one, yet received a souvenir for it just because I found a cache (I guess...).

Now I have to email HQ just to have it removed, interrupting them and  me, when a simple yes/no button for promotions could be in our settings.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Agreed.    I've participated in some, others not interested.  Yearly was okay, but this every couple months thing (I feel) is getting a bit much.   :)

I wasn't participating in this one, yet received a souvenir for it just because I found a cache (I guess...).

Now I have to email HQ just to have it removed, interrupting them and  me, when a simple yes/no button for promotions could be in our settings.

Yeah, that would be great, you log a cache when the event has started and it could ask you if you would like to join the special event :) would solve a lot of problems 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1