A great log revisited

Repsov

6 minutes ago, Repsov said:

If we can award  a favourite point to a cache. Why is it not possible to award a favourite point for a great log to a cache that I own?

Guess you're asking to be able to "reward" a cacher who simply writes a decent log.   Didn't you think anyone would  ?

Maybe I just don't understand why a game/hobby needs so much reinforcement to continue lately.   :)

Pity those who started this hobby with no "extras" provided to them ...

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, Repsov said:

I suspect this has been covered in the past.

If we can award  a favourite point to a cache. Why is it not possible to award a favourite point for a great log to a cache that I own?

Can you tell us what you're hoping to accomplish? I would think sending an appreciative private note to people that write great logs would be the best way to tell them how much you appreciate the log. Wanting a mechanism that is both impersonal and public makes me wonder what the goal is.

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Guess you're asking to be able to "reward" a cacher who simply writes a decent log.   Didn't you think anyone would  ?

Maybe I just don't understand why a game/hobby needs so much reinforcement to continue lately.   :)

Pity those who started this hobby with no "extras" provided to them ...

Agreed.

(I'll upvote your log to reward you)

38 minutes ago, dprovan said:

Can you tell us what you're hoping to accomplish? I would think sending an appreciative private note to people that write great logs would be the best way to tell them how much you appreciate the log. Wanting a mechanism that is both impersonal and public makes me wonder what the goal is.

Agreed.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, colleda said:
12 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Facebook's Like button is insane...

Fixed it for you.:o

This!  I am so tired of everyone needing everyone else's approval.  "Like" this.  "Upvote" that!  That whole mentality has spread way too far - there are even business-focused collaboration apps with this system in place.

I write logs for several reasons: to show appreciation to the effort of the cache owner, to relate my experience for future seekers, and to help me remember various cache hunts.  And a few because I'm apparently a frustrated novelist.

(Yes, we give out favorite points to worthy caches.  Yes, I'll probably upvote the previous post - making me part of the problem, I guess.  And, yes, I expect this post may get some upvotes. (including, I expect, a few sarcastic upvotes) *sigh*)

If you like someone's log, send them an e-mail or add a Write Note log to the cache page (of course, these forums are about the extent of our involvement in social media, so I may be am hopelessly out of touch).  [Before anyone else tries to "fix that for me" :P]

• Upvote 3

An interesting selection of responses. For me Geocaching is a fun thing I do. Either with my Grandchildren or when I have a little free time. It is not my life. It's a game a hobby and not important. just FUN.

All I wanted to do was  find a way to recognise and say thank you to those who write a little more than TFTC.

As an aside a question: Do the figures at the bottom of the contributing posts represent the number of posts they have made? eg 1234 posts

If the answer is yes .I'll follow it with another question: Do you actually have time to  go caching?

4 minutes ago, Repsov said:

If the answer is yes .I'll follow it with another question: Do you actually have time to  go caching?

Yes, and we've been caching since '04...   :)

This is a hobby, and do it when I can.  That's in-between work, chores, and doctor visits.  Sometimes that might be a day each month now.

Posting here as easy as waiting for wall edging to dry before painting, waiting for batteries to recharge, waiting in doctor's offices...

On 8/14/2019 at 12:21 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

In Canada and Norway, you can.  I guess it's experimental, and in fact, currently it's broken.  :(  In these two countries, you can were able to mark a log as "great story" and/or "helpful".

so the button is back up and working again. but as much as i think that we need a way to award people for good logs... a "great story" isnt really gonna give people a reason to write a good log.

I agree, it isn't. Those who write "TFTC" or copy&paste the entire day summary into their logs will definitely continue doing so. But I like reading interesting logs and the new mechanism ("great story" tagging) might help me to easily get to to them using the filter. We'll see whether it will work.

BTW it's been discussed in New feature rating logs? thread.

Edited by Pontiac_CZ