Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Repsov

A great log revisited

I suspect this has been covered in the past.

If we can award  a favourite point to a cache. Why is it not possible to award a favourite point for a great log to a cache that I own?

In Canada and Norway, you can.  I guess it's experimental, and in fact, currently it's broken.  :(  In these two countries, you can were able to mark a log as "great story" and/or "helpful".

There's another thread about it...

2 minutes ago, Repsov said:

Why is it not possible to award a favourite point for a great log to a cache that I own?

There are currently tests in a couple of countries for a similar system...

6 minutes ago, Repsov said:

If we can award  a favourite point to a cache. Why is it not possible to award a favourite point for a great log to a cache that I own?

Guess you're asking to be able to "reward" a cacher who simply writes a decent log.   Didn't you think anyone would  ?

Maybe I just don't understand why a game/hobby needs so much reinforcement to continue lately.   :)

Pity those who started this hobby with no "extras" provided to them ...

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Repsov said:

I suspect this has been covered in the past.

Can you tell us what you're hoping to accomplish? I would think sending an appreciative private note to people that write great logs would be the best way to tell them how much you appreciate the log. Wanting a mechanism that is both impersonal and public makes me wonder what the goal is.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Guess you're asking to be able to "reward" a cacher who simply writes a decent log.   Didn't you think anyone would  ?

Maybe I just don't understand why a game/hobby needs so much reinforcement to continue lately.   :)

Pity those who started this hobby with no "extras" provided to them ...

Agreed.

(I'll upvote your log to reward you)

38 minutes ago, dprovan said:

Can you tell us what you're hoping to accomplish? I would think sending an appreciative private note to people that write great logs would be the best way to tell them how much you appreciate the log. Wanting a mechanism that is both impersonal and public makes me wonder what the goal is.

Agreed.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Funny 1

32 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Facebook's Like button is insane...

Fixed it for you.:o

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, colleda said:
12 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Facebook's Like button is insane...

Fixed it for you.:o

This!  I am so tired of everyone needing everyone else's approval.  "Like" this.  "Upvote" that!  That whole mentality has spread way too far - there are even business-focused collaboration apps with this system in place.

I write logs for several reasons: to show appreciation to the effort of the cache owner, to relate my experience for future seekers, and to help me remember various cache hunts.  And a few because I'm apparently a frustrated novelist.

(Yes, we give out favorite points to worthy caches.  Yes, I'll probably upvote the previous post - making me part of the problem, I guess.  And, yes, I expect this post may get some upvotes. (including, I expect, a few sarcastic upvotes) *sigh*)

If you like someone's log, send them an e-mail or add a Write Note log to the cache page (of course, these forums are about the extent of our involvement in social media, so I may be am hopelessly out of touch).  [Before anyone else tries to "fix that for me" :P]

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

What do you guys have against dropping compliments?!?

Facebook's Like button has been insanely popular...

I don't use the Facebook Like button, but if someone takes the time to write a nice log I'll often acknowledge and thank them for it.  

If anybody is concerned about the direction this is taking, check out the “Nosedive” episode of Black Mirror...

41 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

check out the “Nosedive” episode of Black Mirror

Fascinating.  I'd never heard of this series before - thanks!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GO Geiger said:

I am so tired of everyone needing everyone else's approval.  "Like" this.  "Upvote" that!  That whole mentality has spread way too far

This is all I needed out of your post. :D

• Upvote 2