Premium stats email: which 15 types?

hzoi

Mildly curious on this one.  Our latest "The Logbook" email from HQ has a couple stats up front, including that we have found 13 of 15 types.

Capture.JPG.9d8db0d5b172a4d0f900d4e9a3a99cd0.JPG

The email has a link to our stats tab, where the plot thickens: according to that page, we have found 15 out of 20 cache types.

Capture.JPG.3a4155208b8ee7ca4b75196bd33d88fe.JPG

Of our finds, which two types  aren't being counted as cache types?  And of the ones we've not found, which three aren't being counted as cache types?

I'm guessing from finds that perhaps the 10 Years! event - sorry, Community Celebration Event -  gets lumped in with other event caches.  But what other type isn't being counted?  Lab caches, maybe?

Of the remaining five that we haven't found, my guess is the three Geocaching HQ/Groundspeak HQ don't count, only locationless (which I'll never have) and giga (one of these days).

• Surprised 1

My email said we found 11 of 15 cache types.

"Cache types I've found" in my profile stats says 13.   It also shows that there are 20 caches listed, not "15" ...

On "Geocaches found"  in my public profile, the stats show 10.

I don't get it...

We haven't (and probably won't ever) do any lab caches.

I could swear it said "10 year event" when looking at it just a couple weeks ago (someone asked about locationless, which we have too).

A few people whine that "they haven't caught up" ?  

I don't think about this stuff much, but if I did, having that stat would mean something to me...

49 minutes ago, hzoi said:

Mildly curious on this one.  Our latest "The Logbook" email from HQ has a couple stats up front, including that we have found 13 of 15 types.

I'm guessing from finds that perhaps the 10 Years! event - sorry, Community Celebration Event -  gets lumped in with other event caches.  But what other type isn't being counted?  Lab caches, maybe?

Of the remaining five that we haven't found, my guess is the three Geocaching HQ/Groundspeak HQ don't count, only locationless (which I'll never have) and giga (one of these days).

In the email I got it was 12/15 and that include lab cache.

Here the list I think they used (I didn't find the last 3) :

1- Trad

2- Multi

3- Mystery

4- Letterbox

5- Wherigo

6- Earthcache

7- Virtual

8- Lab cahe

9- Webcam

10- Event

11- CITO

12- Mega

13- Giga

14- Groundspeak HQ

15- APE

1 hour ago, Lynx Humble said:

In the email I got it was 12/15 and that include lab cache.

Here the list I think they used (I didn't find the last 3) :

1- Trad

2- Multi

3- Mystery

4- Letterbox

5- Wherigo

6- Earthcache

7- Virtual

8- Lab cahe

9- Webcam

10- Event

11- CITO

12- Mega

13- Giga

14- Groundspeak HQ

15- APE

Well, my email said 15 of 15 but I've never logged a lab cache so I don't think that's one of them.  The only other one I've not found is Locationless.

1. Traditional
  2. Multi-cache  
  3. Letterbox Hybrid  
  4. Virtual   
  5. Mystery  
  6. Event Cache  
  7. Project APE Cache  
  8. Webcam  
  9. Cache in Trash Out Event
  10. Earthcache
  11. Mega-Event
  12. Gps Adventure Maze  
  13. Wherigo  
  14. Geocaching HQ Cache
  15. Giga-Event

This is just me, speculating on what's available now. 

The 4 types not current available, plus labs, because of the odd way they're counted/not counted in stats

1. Locationless  (Reverse)Cache
  2. Geocaching HQ Celebration   
  3. Community Celebration  Event
  4. Geocaching HQ Block Party
  5. Lab Cache

Labs are available around Megas, and occasionally elsewhere, and HQ and Community Celebrations will be available in 2020.

A person starting today could get 18 types, including labs.  Locationless and Block party are out - though a return of Block party could happen. I think the odds on return of Locationless very low.

edited later to add that the cache types page mentions the likely return of Block Party.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Helpful 1

To add to the mystery, I got a similar email for my reviewer account.  Per that email, I have found 3 of 15 cache types as a reviewer, with an average difficulty and terrain rating of 2.

And yet, as a reviewer, I have one find, a mega event, which was a D1/T1.5.

So...the email may not be an accurate representation of actual stats.

9 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I could swear it said "10 year event" when looking at it just a couple weeks ago

10 Years! events have been retroactively rebranded as Community Celebration events as of 24 June or so.  See the cache types page.

https://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx

And this blog post I think.

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2019/06/log-your-will-attend-for-the-geocaching-20th-anniversary-celebration/

Things aren't loading well for me at the moment, so I can't embed those as links as I normally would, and I can't see the blog at all.  But I think those will get you there.

• Helpful 2

To add to the mystery, I got a similar email for my reviewer account.  Per that email, I have found 3 of 15 cache types as a reviewer, with an average difficulty and terrain rating of 2.

I can beat that! The email to my reviewer account says that I have found 11 out of 15 cache types. I have zero finds on my reviewer account, although I did log one (log now deleted) by accident on that account - I could understand it saying 1 out of 15 cache types.

Edited by The Haywood Hornet
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 3

I am curious whether the L&F  "10" icon is going to stay though, since the name has changed.

(So far) the icon is the same, but I'd think that there would be two (10 and 20) , or we'd be celebrating "10 ... again"    :D

Remembered as early as May someone asked about including that icon "next time".  There's been a few mentions earlier too.

I'm not all that interested BTW,  but know a bunch who are, and know when this was brought up before, feel they took the time to attend to get that icon.

- and there's been some who asked about a "temp" locationless too (even though we now have Waymarking for that) for the icon .

It's all about the games/stats you know....   :)

Guess I  thought presenting "stats" in a game means that eventually some people may lose out .

Edited by cerberus1
smilification

After reading this topic, I checked mine.  Since I don't have so many to compare, I can say that there was one discrepancy between the email and the stats page.

When I was looking at types of caches found in my profile's list of found geocache types - not stats page - I noticed one not listed in the other:  NGS Benchmarks.

Could that be where the stats were pulled from - the Profile->All Geocaches Found?

I assume, perhaps wrongly, that this is about upcoming promotion of the HQ Celebration and the Community Celebrations in 2020.  Laying the groundwork for that for next year. 

I could be wrong.

I was given 3 stats about IK, all wrong. And rather curiously so.  But I don't think the people who sent this out were thinking in any way about user stats as personal, but only as part of a marketing scheme;  a trend on the site. 

• Upvote 1
On 1/25/2020 at 2:47 PM, LizzyRN said:

Thanks barefootjeff, I already have all the same boxes ticked. Interesting. I wonder why I don't receive it? 

Liz

Check your spam filter.  Or, if you use gmail, I find they often get auto-filtered into "Promotions."