TOTT

Jayeffel

Looks like I may need to round up more specialized TOTT to get some caches-- almost a wet suit , okay maybe not that drastic--and a stepladder. Maybe a long handled mirror to check with out reaching into holes blind would help. May what I need is a younger person with me to do the reaching, stretching, wading stuff!

• Funny 1
  • Love 2

The only ToTT I carry is tweezers. Have only once needed a ladder. I have done a SCUBA course but I don't have the equipment and, to the best of my knowledge, there are none around here that require it. If I need climbing gear I may have to borrow some but the only cache I can think of close by is a D5 puzzle so there's no chance I'll get that one. I leave my UV light at home as I have the only cache in the area that needs one. So tweezers it is.

• Upvote 2
On 8/12/2019 at 5:34 PM, Jayeffel said:

Looks like I may need to round up more specialized TOTT to get some caches-- almost a wet suit , okay maybe not that drastic--and a stepladder. Maybe a long handled mirror to check with out reaching into holes blind would help. May what I need is a younger person with me to do the reaching, stretching, wading stuff!

I actually became a SCUBA diver to get a couple of underwater caches near me. One was in a sunken helicopter in a local quarry. 

I keep one of those mirrors in my pack and if I find them on sale at an auto parts house for a reasonable amount, I buy a handful to leave as swag. Most of the time I don't climb; at my age, it takes a lot longer to heal than it used to  :)

Who doesn't like to create a new TOTT to hide a geocache that will make others scratch their heads. I created a geocache using a long 8 inch tube which just happens to be the perfect size to drop a stainless steel gazing ball into. Can you guess what tool you will need to get that ball out that I weighted down with some silica sand so it's now an 8 pound ball. How about a toilet plunger .It's been good business for the local hardware store because no one has a plunger in their geocaching tool kit.

Aceey

• Funny 2
17 hours ago, Aceey said:

Who doesn't like to create a new TOTT to hide a geocache that will make others scratch their heads. I created a geocache using a long 8 inch tube which just happens to be the perfect size to drop a stainless steel gazing ball into. Can you guess what tool you will need to get that ball out that I weighted down with some silica sand so it's now an 8 pound ball. How about a toilet plunger .It's been good business for the local hardware store because no one has a plunger in their geocaching tool kit.

Aceey

Hmm, that 8 pound magnetic TOTT I have sounds like it might get a work out...

On 9/5/2019 at 1:45 AM, DerDiedler said:

No TOTT required at all, just take a picture from the hiding place an post a photo log as customary B)

If I would be able to take a picture of the actual hiding place I would be able to find the cache, in this situation, so no picture would be needed. The cache is off an abandoned road next to a tunnel.  A cacher needs to get above a  wall alongside the trail and climb up a pretty good grade to get the cache. I think the cache is probably obvious. Just getting my 69 years old legs over a four foot wall is getting a bit more difficult. The only obvious alternative is to walk along the trail until the grade lessens, then make your way to the top of the grade and bushwhack back along the top of the bank to the tunnel -- that is between 1/4 and 1/2 mile from the tunnel. I was just a bit too tired that day. There are a few more caches not too far away so I can try for it again. once my energy level rises enough.

Good suggestion though. I had one find that a picture would have been good. I was going home from a church conference and had no "caching" clothes. I stopped at travel oasis for fuel and a break and noticed three caches there, and got all three. The one was at the bottom of a hill, alongside a fence. It was a marker of some type and obvious nit was the cache hoist. The problem was dress shoes, a sore foot from a big blister, and a bad hip the same day. I made a note in the log stating such and claimed a find, heard nothing back. Oh, I did see a picture of that marker just recently that confirmed it was the host. I don't claim a find unless I sign the log usually, maybe if there log mis there but not singable. If the remains of a cache are there I let there CO know bit do not claim a find-- may not be the cache I thought it was. 

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:55 AM, K13 said:

My favorite TOTT is my 22yo son. He climbs a bit faster and higher than I do, and is just a bit quicker when needed. Otherwise, I use those many tricks and things of a 'seasoned professional'.

Yes!  As the OP suspected, a kid is a great TOTT to reach some cache that the elderly can't climb to.  If you borrow it, you don't even need to feed it or nuthin.  It's a win-win! :D

• Upvote 2

I've actually found a few caches where the description recommended bringing along a small child. The easiest way to retrieve the cache, was to lift a child up to where the cache was hidden, and let the child retrieve (and replace) the cache container.

Those of us without small children had to make do.

2 hours ago, niraD said:

I've actually found a few caches where the description recommended bringing along a small child. The easiest way to retrieve the cache, was to lift a child up to where the cache was hidden, and let the child retrieve (and replace) the cache container.

Those of us without small children had to make do.

In those situations, I've found that sometimes it's easier to cram 'em up in there, have them pass the cache down to you, pass it around so everyone can review the logbook and sign it, choose swag to trade, swap trackables, take pics, then when everyone's done, pass it back up to the little tyke and retrieve him.

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "Please Remember to Replace as Found."

• Funny 2
4 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "Please Remember to Replace as Found."

Well, one of my rules when caching with a group is that the person who retrieves the container is the person who replaces the container. I guess that works especially well in this situation. :D 

• Upvote 1
On 9/5/2019 at 11:28 AM, The Jester said:

Hmm, that 8 pound magnetic TOTT I have sounds like it might get a work out...

That eight pound magnet is useless on stainless steel even it only weighed a pound a magnet will not pick up anything made of stainless steel, that's why I went with the stainless steel gazing ball.

Aceey