Mystery at the Museum: Why is the case closing so soon?

thisisace

In common with, I suspect, many other rookie detectives, I am expecting to end today with 15 jewels in my possession. However, unless I find a further 35 random caches by the end of tomorrow, the detective apparently doesn't want them back?:rolleyes: So, does anyone want to give a home to one of my jewels and help me share the wealth?? :ph34r: :D

(More importantly, what is the detective really up to? Has he been given his P45 and is being forced to "retire"? This is sounding more suspicious, the more I think about it .... <_< :unsure:)

Back in the real world, a practical question: @Geocaching HQ, why is this promotion ending so soon?

Lots of children are still on school holidays until the end of August.

As many cachers are likely to have their summer time-off later in the month as those who have already had it. (In the UK, we have a public holiday weekend still to come.)

I guess what I'm saying is: I really enjoyed the strategy involved in the first stages of the challenge. I wouldn't mind being hit with the requirement to find 35 more, if I was given the time to enjoy doing so. :)

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, thisisace said:

Back in the real world, a practical question: @Geocaching HQ, why is this promotion ending so soon?

- snip -

I guess what I'm saying is: I really enjoyed the strategy involved in the first stages of the challenge. I wouldn't mind being hit with the requirement to find 35 more, if I was given the time to enjoy doing so. 

What's "so soon" ?     The promotion stated ahead of time that it'd be running for a month, like many promotions do.  Thems the rules...

There are a few people wondering "what's the point?" with it ending with just a simple cache run though.

Back in the real world, I'd like it to stay as-is, so I don't erroneously receive souvenirs for something not participating in, thanks...  

- I plan on caching Monday.    :)

Edited by cerberus1
correctcorrect
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, thisisace said:

In common with, I suspect, many other rookie detectives, I am expecting to end today with 15 jewels in my possession. However, unless I find a further 35 random caches by the end of tomorrow, the detective apparently doesn't want them back?:rolleyes: So, does anyone want to give a home to one of my jewels and help me share the wealth?? :ph34r: :D

(More importantly, what is the detective really up to? Has he been given his P45 and is being forced to "retire"? This is sounding more suspicious, the more I think about it .... <_< :unsure:)

Lots of children are still on school holidays until the end of August.

As many cachers are likely to have their summer time-off later in the month as those who have already had it. (In the UK, we have a public holiday weekend still to come.)

I guess what I'm saying is: I really enjoyed the strategy involved in the first stages of the challenge. I wouldn't mind being hit with the requirement to find 35 more, if I was given the time to enjoy doing so. :)

A month seems long enough to me.  I do think geocachers would be able to plan better if they knew in advance that 35 additional geocache finds would be required after the gems are recovered.

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

A month seems long enough to me.  I do think geocachers would be able to plan better if they knew in advance that 35 additional geocache finds would be required after the gems are recovered.

Yeah, there aren't 35 caches left near enough to my home not to require either an overnight or an extremely long day--neither of which I'm going to do at this point.

I found 56 caches during the month, 51 of them on a 15 day trip over 8 states.

Made a special effort over the last week to visit caches with the correct jewels hoping for a rewarding conclusion. True, I do have a souvenir, but to find an additional 35 caches before tomorrow is out of the question! Never saw that one coming! That will teach us to allow more time next year. Slightly disappointed to say the least.

• Upvote 3
23 minutes ago, Burton Kidz said:

Made a special effort over the last week to visit caches with the correct jewels hoping for a rewarding conclusion. True, I do have a souvenir, but to find an additional 35 caches before tomorrow is out of the question! Never saw that one coming! That will teach us to allow more time next year. Slightly disappointed to say the least.

You got three for your efforts!

• Helpful 1
4 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

Now that it's August 12th, do you know... can you still log caches you found during the promotion period and have them count toward the promotion or is the whole thing done at this point?  

You have 1 hr, 5 minutes ... go, go, go!

4 hours ago, VAVAPAM said:

You have 1 hr, 5 minutes ... go, go, go!

Correction and apologies ....

According to the faq:

Do I have to log all my finds by August 11 in order to earn souvenirs for Mystery at the Museum?

There will be a 48 hour grace period to submit your drafts and logs. Make sure to log your finds and attended logs by August 14 at noon UTC to earn the souvenirs.

• Helpful 2

Apparently GC HQ decided to close the case way earlier than the official deadline. >:(
My wife logged a part of her finds yesterday and the rest of it this morning and now should have way more than 35 finds to open the vault. Oddly it stopped at 32 finds. :(
According to the FAQ the deadline for logging is 12:00 o'clock UTC and she logged before that deadline. I already logged all my finds yesterday and could close the case but not my wife. I did it with the official GC app yesterday but today (this morning) MATM
already disappeared within the app so she couldn't finish it with the app nor the website.
Today is her birthday, too, so you can imagine that she's quite pissed ... :(

From the FAQ:
"
Make sure to log your finds and attended logs by August 14 at noon UTC to earn the souvenirs."
https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2019/06/mystery-at-the-museum-faq/

(I'm from Germany btw.)

Edited by Piepsi Panic

You may already know this, but you don't need the MATM to log your finds.

If she logged her finds with the app - the ones not credited to her - you might want to post your concern in the App forums, as well.

Edited by VAVAPAM
nother thought
1 hour ago, Piepsi Panic said:

Apparently GC HQ decided to close the case way earlier than the official deadline. >:(
My wife logged a part of her finds yesterday and the rest of it this morning and now should have way more than 35 finds to open the vault. Oddly it stopped at 32 finds. :(
According to the FAQ the deadline for logging is 12:00 o'clock UTC and she logged before that deadline. I already logged all my finds yesterday and could close the case but not my wife. I did it with the official GC app yesterday but today (this morning) MATM
already disappeared within the app so she couldn't finish it with the app nor the website.
Today is her birthday, too, so you can imagine that she's quite pissed ... :(

From the FAQ:
"
Make sure to log your finds and attended logs by August 14 at noon UTC to earn the souvenirs."
https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2019/06/mystery-at-the-museum-faq/

(I'm from Germany btw.)

Same issue here!

GCHQ definitely close the campaign way too soon!

I have logged my final 35th geocache around midnight last night August 13th in the EDT zone of East Coast U.S.A. which should be still 4 A.M. August 14th in UTC time being 4 hours ahead of EDT.

I have sent an email the GCHQ Support here contact@geocaching.com.

Oh wait! Just now received a replay from GCHQ, saying I have been awarded the last souvenir, and I do confirm! Hurray!

Hope everyone else logged in time got their last souvenir.

2 hours ago, VAVAPAM said:

You may already know this, but you don't need the MATM to log your finds.

If she logged her finds with the app - the ones not credited to her - you might want to post your concern in the App forums, as well.

I know.
She logged all her finds on the website with her laptop (that's the way she always logs her finds).
So it's not an app issue.

She will send an e-mail to the support, hopefully she'll be as lucky as Dr.MORO.

• Helpful 1

I'd be surprised if for something like this gc support would be adamant not to award it. They can be very forgiving and helpful, especially if people communicate in a cordial manner about a legitimate mixup like this ;)  People are so quick to jump to negative conclusions. Ask nicely, and ye shall probably receive!