"visit" file won't clear

kenttela

When I upload my "Drafts" to log finds I then go to the "visit" file on my GPSMAP64ST and delete everything in the file. I then save the blank file back into the GPSMAP. In the past that was not a problem. I had to reset the unit not long ago, and now no matter what I do after the above action the drafts are still there.

I've tried several methods to delete these found geocaches without success.

Any idea where this hidden found folder is? The found files must be hidden somewhere, but they are not where they always were in the past. Is this a Garmin problem or a Geocaching.com problem?

24 minutes ago, kenttela said:

When I upload my "Drafts" to log finds I then go to the "visit" file on my GPSMAP64ST and delete everything in the file. I then save the blank file back into the GPSMAP. In the past that was not a problem. I had to reset the unit not long ago, and now no matter what I do after the above action the drafts are still there.

I've tried several methods to delete these found geocaches without success.

Any idea where this hidden found folder is? The found files must be hidden somewhere, but they are not where they always were in the past. Is this a Garmin problem or a Geocaching.com problem?

Where are you seeing those drafts?

Rather than edit the "geocache_visits.txt" file, it would be best to either delete it, or leave it alone.  I delete it from mine.  The file is restored when the next draft is saved.

I see the drafts on the Garmin.

I just deleted the visit file with my computer, unpluged the Garmin, turned it on, went to geocaches, pressed "enter", scrolled down to "found", and they are still there!!! ??? In the past I would delete everything in the "visit" file, save that file to the Garmin as a blank file, there would be nothing in that file on the Garmin. Now the founds are shown on the Garmin after I save the file as blank. Strange.

The geocaching_visits.txt file is not for manual editing.  It’s for convenience of logging caches on geocaching.com.

As you see, it also isn’t for managing caches on the GPS.  There’s a separate SQL database that the GPS uses internally to save cache find status.  It doesn’t read the geocaching_visits.txt file except to append more logs.