Solved puzzle coordinates jump back to fake coords

loungelions

I'm not sure why it is but when you solve a puzzle and put in the corrected coordinates, it has a nice icon on the geocaching.com map that shows you the actual cache site.  However, when you go out and find the puzzle cache, it jumps back to the fake coordinates on the map.  That makes it hard to figure out where you could place a new cache in certain spots by looking on the map....you have to download the pocket query of your finds and the local caches you haven't found in order to get an idea of where an open spot to place a new cache might be.  It seems odd to me why the map would be designed that way.

2 minutes ago, loungelions said:

I'm not sure why it is but when you solve a puzzle and put in the corrected coordinates, it has a nice icon on the geocaching.com map that shows you the actual cache site.  However, when you go out and find the puzzle cache, it jumps back to the fake coordinates on the map.  That makes it hard to figure out where you could place a new cache in certain spots by looking on the map....you have to download the pocket query of your finds and the local caches you haven't found in order to get an idea of where an open spot to place a new cache might be.  It seems odd to me why the map would be designed that way.

Yep, it's worked that way for some time now!

This feature bothers many players and many requests have already posted. It seems that this is somehow intentional.

You can bypass this limitation by using 3rd party apps. For example, I am currently using Locus with Geocaching addon. I think that almost every non official app works correctly.

37 minutes ago, loungelions said:

It seems odd to me why the map would be designed that way.

It's mainly so if someone does geoart with the puzzle caches' posted coordinates, the art "reforms" once you've found all the caches. Given the option, I'd probably have them stay at the corrected coordinates, but I see the logic of snapping them back to the posted coordinates, and in some cases, I appreciate the feature.

I came here to ask the same question.... if I had to choose one action, I'd prefer the corrected coords to stay once solved - at least for the reason of planning a new cache placement.... an option to toggle between original published/corrected could be useful.

• Helpful 1

The corrected coords do stay on the cache page.  But i guess you know that.  I'd have all the coords of all the local caches in my gps device when placing anyway. Aside from puzzle finals, you'd have stage coords, Wherigo, LBH finals (well, potentially anyway). To hide, you really must be a data pack rat.

As a feature request, toggle on/off shifting puzzle location from your corrected coords to posted coords would be nice.  Most would shift to posted for GeoArt, and not for other, I expect.

It's fairly low on my personal wish list, but I think it would be a useful feature, especially for hiders. 

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1