downloading gpx

Ralliphoto

Hello , 

I am new here and to geocaching. I apologise for the question , which was most likely asked often before. Cannot download GPX to my computer (basic membership). When I click on

'Download GPX' , it only gets a 10kb file. I am sure I am doing something wrong . Any help is appreciated . Thx for your patience.

2 hours ago, colleda said:

It would help if you could mention whether your using a GPSr or phone. What type of phone, make model, and which app. What computer and browser would help too.

Thank you for the replies . I am using a Garmin etrex 20x and a Mac and Safari. I also find the Gpx folder on the 20x into which I copy the GPX files. But when I go to 'GEOCACHES'

it says no geocaches found. I am sure , I am doing something wrong????86844548_Screenshot2019-08-06at14_35_45.thumb.png.a6a8b3eaba1b069adf06cd5bb4a75d15.png

9 minutes ago, Ralliphoto said:

Well , how do I set the filter? I mean , what do I enable or disable? Sorry for the stupid questions , but all this is all chinese to me ?

Have you tried page 21 of the manual supplied with your GPS? (English version).

4 minutes ago, Ralliphoto said:

Well , it tells you how to set the filters , not what to enable or disable. Sorry , but also on the Garmin website no luck. This is too much for me , getting old is no fun.

Well, if you see no caches then enable all so nothing gets filtered out.

BTW, the caches you expect to see are not far( >150Km)  away are they? Not sure about Etrex but most newer models only show caches that are closeby (less than 150Km).

3 hours ago, Ralliphoto said:

Thank you for the replies . I am using a Garmin etrex 20x and a Mac and Safari. I also find the Gpx folder on the 20x into which I copy the GPX files. But when I go to 'GEOCACHES'

it says no geocaches found. I am sure , I am doing something wrong????86844548_Screenshot2019-08-06at14_35_45.thumb.png.a6a8b3eaba1b069adf06cd5bb4a75d15.png

You have found that Geocache (GC6AARM), and by default it will not be displayed now.  Place files of caches you'd yet like to find.

A Garmin GPS has a special section for caches already found.  In the Etrex filter menu, place a green checkmark next to every item that you wish to see.  By factory default, you access previously found caches by viewing the "Show Found" section.

https://www.gpsrchive.com/eTrex/eTrex x0x/index.htm

Edited by kunarion
43 minutes ago, Ralliphoto said:

Well , it tells you how to set the filters , not what to enable or disable

Reading the manual is good. But now you should check the filters on the unit itself. There are some predefined filters. Check if one is set by accident.

Hans

18 hours ago, Ralliphoto said:

I'm sorry, I have a 20x and download from Microsoft Surface from GSAK.

As someone mentioned , the Etrex will show local caches. Have you tried going to the Map on the Etrex and zoom out a little at a time. BTW I'm 70 and not a computer nerd. Sometimes I learn like an old computer and feel like I need information to be punched into me.

Edited by colleda
typos

LOL , I am the same way.

Having a hard time finding my way through all this. Added another screenshot , just to make sure the gpx. file is in the right folder. Downloaded from this site to a folder on desktop , and then 'copy -- paste'  to Etrex folder 'GPX'.

Did a reset of the unit to factory settings. Checked filters: Setup --- Geocaches -- filter setup -- create filter -- filter1 -- edit filter -- all types have a green checkmark -- cache size(all options have a green checkmark) -- difficulty 1 - 5 -- terrain 1-5 -- Status: unattempted .

Are there any other filters to set up?

Location is within 5 km. 

softwareversion 2.8

thx a bunch

Screenshot 2019-08-07 at 07.46.31.png

Now , please don't laugh

I was playing around with 'Base Camp'. No idea what I did . Hope I can repeat what I did. I was actually able to find the downloaded .gpx in Base Camp. After some more playing around , I found a button 'transfer to etrax' and it actually worked. Now the etrax is seeing the .gpx. My nerves..........

6 minutes ago, Ralliphoto said:

Now , please don't laugh

I was playing around with 'Base Camp'. No idea what I did . Hope I can repeat what I did. I was actually able to find the downloaded .gpx in Base Camp. After some more playing around , I found a button 'transfer to etrax' and it actually worked. Now the etrax is seeing the .gpx. My nerves..........

Wait, this is the first time you've mentioned that "Base Camp" is in the mix!  Garmin Basecamp adds a whole new level of complications.  That's great if you need Basecamp.  It's extra steps if all you need to do is save a GPX file from the web site to the GPS.

It looks like you're figuring it out.  But I'm composing some info for my next post, that shows how to filter and view Geocaches.  Maybe it will be useful. :)

//Downloaded from this site to a folder on desktop , and then 'copy -- paste'  to Etrex folder 'GPX'.

Did a reset of the unit to factory settings. Checked filters: Setup --- Geocaches -- filter setup -- create filter -- filter1 -- edit filter -- all types have a green checkmark -- cache size(all options have a green checkmark) -- difficulty 1 - 5 -- terrain 1-5 -- Status: unattempted .

Are there any other filters to set up?

Location is within 5 km. 

softwareversion 2.8//

That seems good.  To be clear, you loaded just that one cache that you have already found, and you want to see it listed?

Here's the GPGrChive page about Geocaching menus.  See the various filters, especially "Show Found" and "Status".

Select "Show Found", and your previously found cache should be displayed.

Untitled-ff2.jpg

Select the Status Filter "Found" and all loaded caches that you currently have loaded will be displayed in various lists and on the map, with a special icon.

Untitled-se1.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1

Hi everybody , 

a big thx for all your help . I will continue to use Basecamp , works for me. Found a few today. 

On 8/7/2019 at 9:02 AM, HHL said:

Wenn das eTrex am Mac angeschlossen ist: Bitte mal den Papierkorb des Macs leeren.

Warum? Du scheinst nur noch ungewöhnlich wenige 3 Mb freizuhaben. Gerät abkoppeln und starten.

Die Anzeige auf dem Desktop ist etwas irreführend , es sind 333.5 MB frei.

11 minutes ago, JoJoUK said:

My GPS downloads don't open on my mobile phone 

Can anyone help

You have got to be a lot more specific about your "GPS downloads", such as which downloads, the steps you're taking, and which kind of phone.  If you're using an android phone and a third-party App that might open a GPX file downloaded to your phone, that App's help center is where to go.  If you're downloading GPX files individually from Geocaching.com using a web browser on your phone, be sure you have a reason and a plan and suitable Apps.

If you're using the official Geocaching App, it manages the "downloads" for you, including opening the cache information.

Edited by kunarion