Non existant cache?

Hello all,

I'm sure this has been covered some where on the forum.

But I didn't find any mention via the search so here goes.

I'm trying to setup a cache but I am unable to do so since there appears to be a cache too close to where I want to setup mine.

I have look high and low at the coordinates of the listed cache, but it is now where to be found. On the caches log page I see images by other cachers of this cache. The funny thing is that most of the images show an area nowhere near the listed coordinates. I know this area very well as I work on the plot of land that the coordinates lead too. The images posted show an area about a mile or so south of the coordinates. I have contacted the owner of the cache asking for verification of the listed coordinates and have not gotten a response. Granted it has only been a week that I contacted the owner. But how long should I wait until my next step in getting verification and what should my next step be? Should I try to contact a reviewer in the area about this?

Thank you in advance for any help.

The F.A.B.

9 minutes ago, The F.A.B. said:

I'm trying to setup a cache but I am unable to do so since there appears to be a cache too close to where I want to setup mine.

Probably a Multi, Mystery, Letterbox or Wherigo cache... whose container are not at the published coordinates.

What you can (or should) do?

Try to look for all the caches near your desired spot... but you can also ask your reviewer if a given spot is free, prior to have all the work on placing a container there.

Edited by RuideAlmeida
25 minutes ago, The F.A.B. said:

Hello all,

I have look high and low at the coordinates of the listed cache, but it is now where to be found. On the caches log page I see images by other cachers of this cache. The funny thing is that most of the images show an area nowhere near the listed coordinates. I know this area very well as I work on the plot of land that the coordinates lead too. The images posted show an area about a mile or so south of the coordinates. I have contacted the owner of the cache asking for verification of the listed coordinates and have not gotten a response. Granted it has only been a week that I contacted the owner. But how long should I wait until my next step in getting verification and what should my next step be? Should I try to contact a reviewer in the area about this?

The F.A.B.

Since the final cache of a puzzle has to be within 2 miles of the posted coordinates, look for a puzzle cache within 2 miles of where you want to hide a geocache. Same with multicaches.

As a puzzle cache owner, I'm not going to tell someone the final coordinates of my cache just because they want to hide theirs. I'll help you solve the puzzle, though.

The reviewer likely won't give you those coordinates either, as that would defeat the purpose of puzzle geocaches.

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, The F.A.B. said:

Hello all,

The F.A.B.

What is the cache type of the geocache preventing yours from being placed?

5 hours ago, The F.A.B. said:

On the caches log page I see images by other cachers of this cache.

The funny thing is that most of the images show an area nowhere near the listed coordinates.

- snip -  

But how long should I wait until my next step in getting verification and what should my next step be? Should I try to contact a reviewer in the area about this?

Did you log a DNF ?

You've found one virtual, with the rest traditional caches, less than 2/2.  

Normally I'd agree with others it may be a multi,  puzzle/mystery, etc., but you should already know what cache type it is as a premium member. 

If people are finding it,  your "next step" would be looking at hints and going for it too.    :)

What would you contact a Reviewer for ?  "I can't find it" isn't a Reviewer issue until there's a few around the same time.

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 1