Using WiFi only iPad for Adventure Labs

Twinklekitkat

Does anyone know if a WiFi only enabled iPad will work for the Adventure Labs?  I want to purchase an iPad that is WiFi only and use my iPhone as a hot spot for it to connect to.  The question is, does the iPad have native GPS capability so the adventure app will know where I am or must I download another app in order to make this work?  I don't want to buy all this equipment to find out that it will not work.  I kind of think I had this issue with a Samsung Tablet not being able to run a Metaverse AR most likely due to this issue.  It connected to WiFi and ran the app but because it does not have GPS capability it would not work. Any insight is appreciated.

5 hours ago, Twinklekitkat said:

Does anyone know if a WiFi only enabled iPad will work for the Adventure Labs?  I want to purchase an iPad that is WiFi only and use my iPhone as a hot spot for it to connect to.  The question is, does the iPad have native GPS capability so the adventure app will know where I am or must I download another app in order to make this work?  I don't want to buy all this equipment to find out that it will not work.  I kind of think I had this issue with a Samsung Tablet not being able to run a Metaverse AR most likely due to this issue.  It connected to WiFi and ran the app but because it does not have GPS capability it would not work. Any insight is appreciated.

A wi-fi only iPad doesn't have the circuitry to receive GPS.  I have two devices for my iPad, one is a GPS device that plugs into the lightning port, the other is a Bluetooth GPS.  Both have their own required fiddly Apps.  The one for the lightning port sometimes wasn't detected for some reason.

Can't you use the iPhone by itself?

On 8/5/2019 at 5:39 PM, kunarion said:

Can't you use the iPhone by itself?

Yes, I can use the iPhone for my account.  I was looking to help out a friend who doesn't have a smart device.  I wanted to tether an iPad to my phone's hot spot.  Sorry for not being clear. 

Any thoughts on using an old iPhone (5) that is not connected to a data plan and tethering that to my hot spot?  I have set my phone as a hot spot and linked the other, older phone to it and it seems to be updating the distance of the lab caches so was wondering if that will work?

An iPhone 5 is becoming obsolete, it won’t get any iOS updates, and this affects which Apps may function.  Other than that, an older iPhone is a great choice for App Geocaching. It has GPS sensors and will connect by WiFi tether.  And it fits in a pocket. :)

Edited by kunarion