Error on adoption page

ROK Geocachers

Hello, In the past I have been able to go to the adoption page and adopt caches in a queue. However, one of the caches was archived before I could adopt the cache. Now the queue seems to have been disrupted. I get this message "Blue Dragon Temple has been archived and is unable to be adopted." What can I do to remove this message and restart the queue? 

Thanks in advance

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, ROK Geocachers said:

Hello, In the past I have been able to go to the adoption page and adopt caches in a queue. However, one of the caches was archived before I could adopt the cache. Now the queue seems to have been disrupted. I get this message "Blue Dragon Temple has been archived and is unable to be adopted." What can I do to remove this message and restart the queue? 

By the  Adoption guidelines, "Archived and grandfathered cache types cannot be transferred to a new owner."

Edited by cerberus1

You should have an individual email about each cache.  Try going to www.geocaching/com/adopt/ and there enter the GC Code of a different cache.  OR   decline the adoption? I'm guessing you can't get that far.  The accept/decline button is grayed out, not functioning.

I've heard of this behaviour before.  One of the caches you were asked to adopt got archived, and now the whole group is inaccessible through the adoption utility. It hangs on the archived cache.

If this doesn't resolve itself in a few more days, you may need to contact HQ about it, through the Help Center contact form   (I'd use either Bug Reporting, or My Account). Either way, explain that the adoption utility won't let you process any more adoption requests, because GC5FVB5  was archived, and the form won't clear from that one, to allow you to handle others.

Or a Lackey may see this thread and clear the archived from the utility so you can proceed with the others.

• Upvote 2

This happened in my area once, and the only way to resolve the issue (without HQ intervention) was to Unarchive the Listing by a Reviewer to unhang the process.   Seems to me the issue came about when a CO sent the unsolicited Adoption notification to the recipient, but then Archived the Listing some weeks later when they didn't get any response from the recipient.   The recipient CO was then able to reject the request, which cleared their queue.

If you local Reviewer is willing to do it, that is one approach.  Otherwise it will take HQ stepping in to fix.

13 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

You should have an individual email about each cache.  Try going to www.geocaching/com/adopt/ and there enter the GC Code of a different cache.  OR   decline the adoption? I'm guessing you can't get that far.  The accept/decline button is grayed out, not functioning.

I've heard of this behaviour before.  One of the caches you were asked to adopt got archived, and now the whole group is inaccessible through the adoption utility. It hangs on the archived cache.

If this doesn't resolve itself in a few more days, you may need to contact HQ about it, through the Help Center contact form   (I'd use either Bug Reporting, or My Account). Either way, explain that the adoption utility won't let you process any more adoption requests, because GC5FVB5  was archived, and the form won't clear from that one, to allow you to handle others.

Thanks for the advice. It's been like this for quite some time. I'll contact the help center to get it resolved. 

I've been busy on the adoption page this morning, both sending pages to two other cachers, and accepting one. The adoption utility IS  working for me, but the message, 

GC39543 is archived and is unable be adopted.

appears each time I open the page.  Perhaps this should clear at some point?

The listing was archived in January 2019. I don't recall being sent an adoption request, but certainly could have been. 

Again, the adoption utility IS working for me. But the error message persists. 

adotion page.jpg

• Helpful 1

Update - this may or may not be a bug. I sent an adoption request of GC8AYGA, unpublished event listing,  to user arisoft.

He accepted and adopted.

He then sent an adoption request for the same listing back to me.

I received an email as seen in the image below.

When I use the link to get to the adoption page, there's no preloaded GC Code. Instead the message that GC39543 is archived and is unable be adopted

by clicking the cache title in the email, i was able to get to a 404 error page

Error 404: DNF

We didn't find the page you were looking for. Sorry about that! Visit the Help Center or follow Geocaching on Twitter to see any available outage information.

Geocaching home

where, from the URL, I was able to extract the GC Code, and complete the adoption. 

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC8AYGA_e?guid=f864a18f-ea4b-415b-83e2-ca7f5c90a2f5

This cannot be right? surely?

If the URL is not sent, and the adoption page takes only the URL, how exactly is this supposed to work?  

Does HQ expect users to know how to extract GC Codes from URLs? because as far as I can see, that's the only way to do this.

OR is the failure of the form to have the GC Code for the current adoption request loaded  (GC8AYGA) because it's still complaining about the archived cache (GC39543)?

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Yes ... I got exactly the same. Thanks for mystery solving skills B),  I could finally adopt the cache by translating the GC-code form the ID.

This is the message I got ... Please note that the adoption link is white (#ffffff) over white background and that is why I didn't see the link at all  :mad:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv=Content-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD><FONT size=3>
<BODY>
<DIV>It looks like there's a geocache that needs a new owner. Are you up for it?<br>
<br>
<a href="https://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=d4e7b43c-fd85-45ff-a20c-ba6c54b43096" style="color:#8c9e65;text-decoration:none;">Isonzo Karst</a> thinks you are.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Message from the current owner:<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
just testing that unpublished cache pages will adopt  - feel free to accept then archive, or use.  I did this because of your statement that the feature had disappeared.Even though the adoption email says you can ignore if you want to decline, you can&#39;t really. If you ignore, it will be sitting there, next time you want to use the adoption utility.  I believe you can click &quot;Accept this adoption request&quot;, then once on the page, Decline it. regards Isonzo Karst, Meg <br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Check out the geocache:<br>
<a href="https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f864a18f-ea4b-415b-83e2-ca7f5c90a2f5" style="color:#8c9e65;text-decoration:none;">e</a><br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<a href="http://www.geocaching.com/adopt" style="color:#ffffff;text-decoration:none;">Accept this adoption request</a><br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
If you wish to decline the adoption request there is no need to respond.<br>
Cheers,Geocaching HQ</DIV></BODY></HTML></FONT>

Edited by arisoft