Adequate but inexpensive GPS handheld

theavalonfox

I have been getting items together for my grandchild and I to enjoy geocaching.  I am at a loss as to which GPS handheld unit to buy.  I do not need an elaborate one but would like one that works well but not too expensive.  I would appreciate so very much if you would give me some ideas of which model and maybe tell me why that one would be a good choice.  I am learning myself.  Reading a book and the geocache.com discussions are a great help.

From my experience an Etrex 20 (used) or 20x (new or used)would be suitable. I started with an Etrex10 but as I progressed I found it had limitations such as memory capacity and lack of decent  maps. I up graded to an Etrex20 then, after losing it, went to an Etrex 20x. Have been using the Etrex for at least six years and it does everything I require without all the bells and whistles. It also has an excellent battery life, can cache all day without worry, and can take an SD card for extra maps or geocaches.. They are also a rugged unit and can handle being dropped, even in water. I also have an Android phone which I've used a few times but prefer the hand held Garmin.

• Helpful 1
7 hours ago, theavalonfox said:

I have been getting items together for my grandchild and I to enjoy geocaching.  I am at a loss as to which GPS handheld unit to buy.  I do not need an elaborate one but would like one that works well but not too expensive.  I would appreciate so very much if you would give me some ideas of which model and maybe tell me why that one would be a good choice.  I am learning myself.  Reading a book and the geocache.com discussions are a great help.

Have you also looked at Geocaching 101, or the Help Center yet ?  Lots of good info there too.   :)

I prefer buttons to toggles and touchscreens, so for me, one in the Garmin 64 series would be my start today.

I'm still using a long-discontinued model though (it works), so a sale on an older model isn't out of the question either.

No finds and you don't say, but if you have a relatively current phone,  most GPS in phones have little difference to handheld GPSrs today.

For example, the other 2/3rds uses an iphone.  She's used phones most her young life.   But, when battery or ruggedness may be an issue, she switches back to a GPSr too.

Her phone is pretty much the same as my handheld in "accuracy", and a consideration if using GPS just to play a hobby that might be temporary.

• Helpful 2

I also use a Garmin eTrex 20 - it can do so much more than what I use it for.  I don’t use the maps - just the Geocaches, sometimes the Waypoints, and always the compass.  As others have said battery life is excellent and it is a well made unit.  Geocaches can be entered by way of computer or manually.  In our area they are now quite expensive.  They are sometimes available on Kijiji or at yard sales.

• Helpful 1