Claiming Lost Trackables

GlobeCachers

I was an active geocacher back in the early 2000's, not so much any more.

Yesterday I got notification that three dog tag trackables my son and I launched back in 2005 had been found. none of the three trackables have been seen or reported since 2006.

The member who claimed the find didn't post details on where they'd been found or any cache they were currently in. On last reporting in 2006 they were at widely-separated geographic locations.

The claiming member also claims something like 6500 other trackable finds.

So... is this now a thing? Are people claiming lost trackables in order to up their totals? If so, totally unacceptable and lame.

If the member doesn't show proof, I'm inclined to delete the trackables to deny her the false claim.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GlobeCachers said:

Yesterday I got notification that three dog tag trackables my son and I launched back in 2005 had been found. none of the three trackables have been seen or reported since 2006.

The member who claimed the find didn't post details on where they'd been found or any cache they were currently in. On last reporting in 2006 they were at widely-separated geographic locations.

The claiming member also claims something like 6500 other trackable finds.

So... is this now a thing? Are people claiming lost trackables in order to up their totals? If so, totally unacceptable and lame.

If the member doesn't show proof, I'm inclined to delete the trackables to deny her the false claim.

Actually, the trackables were simply claimed Discovered.  If "found", it would have had a Retrieve from somebody.     :)

We see some instances (lost in moving and found years later, selling a car and found it under a mat, etc.,) of folks actually finding them.

The past "holder" often remaining anonymous in embarrassment.  I agree, a Discover log after a long length of time doesn't make sense. 

The system only keeps track of trackables logged, not found.  You'd need to enter their trackable history to get a real idea.

- But yep, it's a thing all right.  We started noticing this behavior when third-party sites had trackables in with stats, so not new.

Some get them from "lists" of trackable codes at events,  the trackables actually long-gone for ( in your case...) years.

Others see the codes in cache galleries, or elsewhere online. Some even use a numbers generator that runs looking for "hits". Who knows why...

Most fake.  You already wrote "I call BS" on the trackable's page.  If they don't respond in a week and it bugs you. delete it.

Edited by cerberus1
50 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Actually, the trackables were simply claimed Discovered.  If "found", it would have had a Retrieve from somebody.     :)

We see some instances (lost in moving and found years later, selling a car and found it under a mat, etc.,) of folks actually finding them.

The past "holder" often remaining anonymous in embarrassment.  I agree, a Discover log after a long length of time doesn't make sense. 

The system only keeps track of trackables logged, not found.  You'd need to enter their trackable history to get a real idea.

- But yep, it's a thing all right.  We started noticing this behavior when third-party sites had trackables in with stats, so not new.

Some get them from "lists" of trackable codes at events,  the trackables actually long-gone for ( in your case...) years.

Others see the codes in cache galleries, or elsewhere online. Some even use a numbers generator that runs looking for "hits". Who knows why...

Most fake.  You already wrote "I call BS" on the trackable's page.  If they don't respond in a week and it bugs you. delete it.

Ah, that makes sense (in a weird cheat-y kind of way), Cerberus.

If I were doing proper maintenance, I should have deactivated the lost dog tags years ago.

Thanks...

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1

In case you're curious, there's another who experienced the same from that same cacher, and said something about it in a thread today.

- What are those odds... 

At 18,000+ trackable logs, guess it's possible there'll be a few more threads started on this character.    :)

ETA... and another just now...

Edited by cerberus1
6 hours ago, GlobeCachers said:

Lemme think about locking them down...

It's a very easy process, and easily undone in the same manner.

If you do lock it, just remember to post a Note that you're going to lock it, so send a message if logging is needed.  (Even you won't be able to post a log if it's locked.)

Fake or not fake it is only a game. No cash rewards either way. Don’t forget the fun because someone has different goals. I had someone want me to remove my online log because I did not want to retrieve the log from from a dog poop receptacle and physically sign the germ ridden log. I don’t need credit, it is only a game. Most of my travel bugs were stolen, so I replaced them with blocks of wood. 

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:06 AM, katdude said:

Fake or not fake it is only a game. No cash rewards either way. Don’t forget the fun because someone has different goals. I had someone want me to remove my online log because I did not want to retrieve the log from from a dog poop receptacle and physically sign the germ ridden log. I don’t need credit, it is only a game. Most of my travel bugs were stolen, so I replaced them with blocks of wood. 

We still call this a hobby, but I get it...       This "game" has a couple of third-party stat sites for it now.

Granted there's no cash rewards, but still some like to see those stats legit.   :)  

- Most "games" have rules, and I feel few are comfortable allowing a cheater to continue playing with them.

It seems the issue is that the Owner's fun has been sucked out of this "game" by people who can't even do the basics honestly. 

• Love 2