"Dipping" a trackable into multiple caches

S_n_M_Ohio

Once you have retrieved the trackable and it's in your inventory, you can (not must) subsequently "visit" the trackable to every cache you log. There (in the weblog page) is a separate pulldown menu for each of the trackables in your possession. Works the same way as when you drop it.

If you meant to ask how someone has the tenacity to visit all the trackables to every hundreds of caches they find, they may be using some other logging method that does it automatically, but I know nothing of those.

Edited by papu66

Some TOs will make it clear what sort of logs they’d like to see on their trackable, but a majority do not.  If this forum is to be believed then generally TOs do not appreciate their trackable being ‘dipped’ in cache after cache after cache - particularly over an extended period.

If I’m holding a trackable I treat it how I’d like to see mine treated.  Yes, it’s nice to see them dropped into another cache promptly but (1) a lot of caches won’t take a trackable, others may be (2) a little ‘high maintenance’ or (3) rarely visited and therefore less appropriate, and (4) holding on to it for a little longer may actually help it on its mission.

So, if I’m not dropping it I will ‘dip’ it into significant caches along my route.  No more than one or two a day.  Enough to show its journey, but not the turn-by-turn directions.

Edited by IceColdUK
Typo
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Lil_Red_Chevy said:

I am new to trackables and wondered how the previous geocacher who had the trackable made it show up as "visited" each cache they found up until they dropped it in the cache I found it in?

Well, when the last finder Retrieved it from a cache in May, they felt some need to use the "Visit" (took it to) option for every ... cache ... found, until you  Discovered, then Grabbed it from a cache they finally Dropped it into.

Agree with IceColdUK, I guess I just don't understand why...

That's not as bad as some we've seen though, with someone holding another's property hostage for much longer than a couple months.

Guidelines say that it's good to notify the TO if you're going to hold it longer than 2-3 weeks.

That gecko wasn't a large trackable, and I feel if it'll fit in a cache, allow others to get a chance of finding one too (by placing it in a cache as soon as possible).

- Enough log errors that they're tough enough for many to find now as it is...

Edited by cerberus1
7 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

So, if I’m not dropping it I will ‘dip’ it into significant caches along my route.  No more than one or two a day.  Enough to show its journey, but not the turn-by-turn directions.

That's the way I've done it too.   I have only really picked up TBs for when I'm,  well, traveling.   

6 minutes ago, Elektrazz said:

Some people enjoy seeing the trackable move (like me!)

So do I.  But I don't enjoy seeing a buhzillion robotic "took-it-to" logs.  Especially when the guy is "visiting" dozens or hundreds of TBs into every cache with no photo, no story.  That looks less like "movement", more like a problem.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
On 8/2/2019 at 3:16 AM, IceColdUK said:

That's what I do, too. I try to drop as soon as I can, but it often takes me several excursions to find a cache large enough. My rule is that if I visit the TB, I always edit the visit log to say something about the area and the cache and the excursion. If there's nothing to say that's worth editing the visit log, then it's not worth logging a visit.

50 minutes ago, kunarion said:

So do I.  But I don't enjoy seeing a buhzillion robotic "took-it-to" logs.  Especially when the guy is "visiting" dozens or hundreds of TBs into every cache with no photo, no story.  That looks less like "movement", more like a problem.

Agreed.  

Add in the folks we've met on trail who hold dozens of other-people's property hostage  to "visit", yet aren't even carrying a water bottle.  :)

- Those "visits" merely a box to check on their inventory...

The TO has no clue whether the trackable is even in one piece somewhere, much less in the "visitor's" possession and "traveling" .

• Helpful 2