Best Seattle-Portland Caches

I am going to be traveling to Portland for a family reunion and to Seattle for a short vacation afterwards and wanted to know what, in your opinion, the best caches are in the two cities, as well as in the area between them. Not so much caches in cool locations, but ones with a cool container, hiding style, or perhaps a clever mechanism, as I love gadget caches. 

Edited by TwistedCube
10 hours ago, Michaelcycle said:

If you are going to Portland, why not take the time to go to the location of the first cache?

GCGV0P

and the very nearby Oct 2000 cache

GC92

The Seattle area has HQ and an APE cache, of course.

What’s neat is that I am actually staying outside of Portland in a suburb, which happens to be much closer to the Original Stash. About a 30 minute drive i’d say. So I’ll probably be able to grab that one and possibly the ones around it.

Edited by TwistedCube
  • Upvote 1

My favorite of my favorites are: (my opinion only)

Portland:

GC17 - So much better than GC12 or GC16. Great view rather than just a hike in the woods.

GC2MNZA Eliot Glacier Earthcache- Most amazing EC I've ever done. 4.5/5 hike up to the glacier on Mt. Hood 4 mountain view.

GCMJ1V Cache me if you can!- If you can arrange to get the key this one had us laughing.  What it unlocks you'll have to figure it out. Just message the current holder of the key.

GCW6EM  DR. Who. by goblindust - 1250+ favorite points how can you go wrong. #18 in the US Quick find.

GCA5  Hembre Ridge - Would have given this a favorite. But slid off the road hit a stump and luckily got pulled out by a passer by who coincidentally wrecked his car two years prior on the same bend in the road.  Cost me a lot of $$$s.

A lot of the caches by  OmNom! and jewilk1 are quite creative and many of the new ones 3D printed but most are on the west side of town..

I5 In between:

GC1G3TR Aloha TB Hotel  -Cute lots a favorites. 

Seattle:

GC1XNHW Crystal Mtn Lookout- Cable car trip up even in the summer nice lunch spot great view of Mt Rainer. 

GC1169 Mission 9: Tunnel of Light - Hike or Bike through a old train tunnel awesome! Just bring a flashlight and maybe a hat.

HQ Geotour ones are pretty good only done a few.

GC5YHV1 Seattle's Easiest Multi-Cache  - Visit the locks great place for lunch.

GC5GT6J  Spaceflight Academy - if you are going the the museum of flight do this cache ( 5 easy lab caches to find this one) 

Hope this helps and hope you agree if you choose to try for one of these.

18 hours ago, MNTA said:

GCA5  Hembre Ridge - Would have given this a favorite. But slid off the road hit a stump and luckily got pulled out by a passer by who coincidentally wrecked his car two years prior on the same bend in the road.  Cost me a lot of $$$s.

You didn't give it a favorite just because you slid off the road?

I see Johnny Island's Throne Room has been mentioned. That'd be my preferred stop. For gadget caches, I'd visit some of bounce,bounce's caches https://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?u=Bouncebounce&sortdir=desc&sort=fav. Outside of the realm of gadget caches, I'd make a point to visit Chamber's bay or Fort Steilacoom park. These are dominated by the caches of minstrale and On a Dragon's Wings respectively, and both of these owners create some amazing caches. minstrale's strong suit is the puzzle cache, while I believe ODW's is interesting hide ideas, such as with GC6TEGJ or GC6FC29. minstrale also owns a number of caches in Steilacoom and Point Defiance Park, which is a great destination in its own right. His most interesting cache container, in my opinion, is GC4WTRG.