HELP PLEASE...Can't upload caches to my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx

bunkibones

When I try to upload a geocache, I get this error message:   "Adobe Acrobat Reader could not open GC59VHA(1).gpx because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn’t correctly decoded)"     Obviously, the GC# is unique to the cache I was trying to load onto my GPS unit, therefore it changes with each cache I attempt to load.

Can someone... ANYONE please help me?   

Type in "60csx" in the search (top right above this thread) and look at the few options that may be left.  

GSAK seems to still be okay.  EasyGPS still says on it's site that it supports your device with GPX files too. 

I've loaded caches on mine manually since starting,  and it takes less than two minutes each with coordinates and cache name.

A small notepad holds hints, and any other pertinent information. 

Your most finds was 11 in one day, so if you're going to stick with a long-discontinued GPSr, that's an option too.   :)

• Helpful 1
22 hours ago, bunkibones said:

When I try to upload a geocache, I get this error message:   "Adobe Acrobat Reader could not open GC59VHA(1).gpx because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn’t correctly decoded)"     Obviously, the GC# is unique to the cache I was trying to load onto my GPS unit, therefore it changes with each cache I attempt to load.

Can someone... ANYONE please help me?   

Although it might seem a bit daunting to have to download and learn yet another program, I also recommend using GSAK.  It's really the quickest and easiest way that I've been able to load what I want onto the 60CSx.

I have called Garman’s Customer support a couple of times.  They are very knowledgeable, and friendly. They walked me through the process and made sure I understood the way to my goal before we hung up. I can’t say enough about Garmin customer service.   Worth calling them with your question about their product. Even using geocaching web site info. 

On 7/28/2019 at 8:44 PM, RuideAlmeida said:

I guess the easiest way would be to connect your GPS via USB with your computer, then just drag the .gpx file into the GPX folder on the unit.

No. that' wrong as this kind of unit does NOT support GPX files containing geocaches.

Hans

• Upvote 1

Trouble with Garmin Etrex 20. I Used to get caches on my Etrex 20 by "sending to GPX" , this would put in in a file on the computer. Then I would go to iCaching app , connect the Etrex to the computer and then download from that file to the Etrex. Worked fine. Now it doesn't. On the geocaching site I saw you could go to lists, and under a dropdown menu "send to GPS", I tried that.I tool a while to download what I had in the Lists, but finally showed done. I went to geocaches on the ETRex and it was empty! It erased what was on it.

I'll admit it has been a while since I used the Etrex, it had some found caches on it that I wanted to update-remove. At  least I have my iPhone.

No sure, but it sounds like you have reached a limit of 2,000 GPX files, 5,000 geocaches and/or 2,000 waypoints. Maybe a clean-up will help:

Geocaches are GPX files and are stored in the folder /Garmin/GPX/ on your eTrex. Since your geocaching list normally only displays caches which are not found, you can still expect a lot of GPX files in this folder. Start Finder, navigate to that folder and take a look.

If you want to clean up your eTrex, you can delete all GPX files in this folder to begin with. Be aware that saved tracks and waypoints are also stored in this folder (usually GPX files with names that start with Track and Waypoints), so take a good look at what you want to keep or not. Make a back-up to your computer first if you're not sure.

Apple computers do not delete GPX files, they're put in in the recycle bin on the eTrex. The eTrex still reads these files, so this might be the cause of the limit reached. So when you're finished deleting GPX files on your eTrex, be sure to empty the recycle bin as well.

After deleting the files and emptying the recycle bin, let the eTrex shutdown and start up at least once to make sure the internal memory is cleared as well. This is not necessary, just to be safe.

After that, you can repopulate your eTrex.

• Helpful 1