Opt-out for souvenir events

webmicha

Every geocacher is forced to see souvenir events on his profile, even if this is not wanted. I know that really a lot of geocachers love this souvenirs. But there are also a lot of geocachers which are bugged out of them. So why not give every user the choice or at least an opportunity to opt out?

• Upvote 1

Assuming you're talking about promotions, I'd sort of agree.

I've got someone hounding me about something around twelve hours a day.  I cache to be left alone a while.  

Most times I've only got a regular phone, because people don't/won't talk on phones now.  :)

If there was an option to toggle off/on promotions in our settings  (We still do annual and states...) I'd be for that.

16 minutes ago, HHL said:

No one is forced to hit the tab "Souvenirs". If you don't want to see them, just don't hit that tab. It's not Rocket Science. ?

Hans

No one is forced to post non-constructive answers. If you don't have to say something useful, just be silent. That's also no rocket science, but decently. 

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, webmicha said:

Every geocacher is forced to see souvenir events on his profile, even if this is not wanted. I know that really a lot of geocachers love this souvenirs. But there are also a lot of geocachers which are bugged out of them. So why not give every user the choice or at least an opportunity to opt out?

The option to opt out is already available if you post a Note rather than an Attended. 

2 hours ago, Touchstone said:

The option to opt out is already available if you post a Note rather than an Attended. 

Of course by doing this, you don't get credit for the find in your own statistics, nor will the event/cache owner (or Groundspeak) get an accurate representation of attendance/finds from the logs. I'd prefer to just ignore souvenirs that otherwise don't impact the game rather than improperly log a cache just to avoid one. Perhaps what we need is an option in the app to turn off souvenir and/or promotional challenge notifications so that if you choose not to play them, you'll just quietly accrue the rewards in the background without the fanfare of a congratulatory splash screen. 

Edited by Mineral2
  • Upvote 2
6 hours ago, Touchstone said:

Another option is to not log your finds/attended until after the promotion closes and souvenirs are no longer being generated for it (in recent promotions, I think the souvenir cutoff has been about 24 hours after the official end time). I guess you could use field notes drafts as placeholders for your logs if you wanted, then convert them to proper logs once the coast is clear.

2 hours ago, irisisleuk said:

You can hide the souvenirs you don't want to show on your profile at https://www.geocaching.com/my/souvenirs.aspx .

"Hide" only hides it from your "public" profile.   Your profile dashboard shows them only greyed out.   That's not a "fix" for unwanted souvenirs..

You can email HQ, and the friendly folks there will delete unwanted souvenirs for you.  

- Though I feel it'd be less hassle for them and you if you could just delete them yourself...

Edited by cerberus1
29 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

You can email HQ, and the friendly folks there will delete unwanted souvenirs for you.  

- Though I feel it'd be less hassle for them and you if you could just delete them yourself...

My guess is that if this was an issue for them, they’d have implemented a “fix” by now.

They’re probably more worried about being inundated with calls after accidental deletions if they were to allow them.

21 hours ago, webmicha said:

But there are also a lot of geocachers which are bugged out of them.

I’ve yet to meet any (outside of the forums).  Most of the people I spoke to at an event last week seemed pretty engaged with the current promotion.  Others, were simply not bothered one way or the other.

Is it really such a problem to receive a (digital) badge for an accomplishment you had no interest in?  You can put it in a drawer (i.e. hide it) and no one else will ever know.

——

All that said, I have no issue with HQ allowing an opt out, it’s just way down on my list of priorities.  YMMV.

Edited by IceColdUK
  • Upvote 1