Garmin eTrex 30x incorrect Trip Computer values.

dgnzcn

Hello there,

I have a problem with my device, firmware version latest 3.00, but the trip computer's moving time and stopped time values are incorrect.

Example: When I walk on a straight road or wooded area I see the sky and pass in front of buildings or big trees, the stopping time increases from time to time but I do not stop walking.

The gps signal is showing full.

What kind of problem is that?

I have been trying to duplicate this, but my eTrex shows all zeros other than Stopped Time, which is over one hour and fifty minutes now....

I will say, I have much better satellite accuracy of 2m, where you clearly have a poor satellite signal with 17m.

When satellite signal is poor, you will see some erratic numbers as the unit will jump around quite a bit.

Go outside where you can get a better signal, and once your accuracy is closer to 3m or 4m, clear the trip computer and track data and test again!

Edited by Atlas Cached
On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:16 AM, dgnzcn said:

When I walk on a straight road or wooded area I see the sky and pass in front of buildings or big trees, the stopping time increases from time to time but I do not stop walking.

How much does the stopped time increase? If it's only a second or two at a time, then I'd say that's probably to be expected in conditions like those you described. If an object blocks the right satellites at just the right time, the device may get thrown off just enough to think you haven't moved, so it will increase the stopped time. The reverse is happening with the example in your screenshot. Due to poor reception, the device thinks your location is wandering and occasionally it jumps enough for the device to think you're moving. Unless you have very stable conditions, like a completely clear view of the sky, I'd expect either of these numbers to increase occasionally.

8 hours ago, The A-Team said:

8 hours ago, The A-Team said:

How much does the stopped time increase?

For deep forest: moving time is 30 minute, stopped time is about 35 minute.
How much GPS signal is needed for this kind of distortion?

What is your device, do you experience the same things?
18 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

Go outside where you can get a better signal, and once your accuracy is closer to 3m or 4m, clear the trip and track data and test again!

In deep forest can i get 3 or 4 meter accuracy?

Does the problem on the road computer affects tracks?

7 hours ago, dgnzcn said:

In deep forest can i get 3 or 4 meter accuracy?

Does the problem on the road computer affects tracks?

You will have to test to find out. If you can not get 3-4m accuracy, you will continue to see these numbers, it is the nature of the beast.

The Trip Computer ('road computer') does not affect your track log, but the track log will also suffer when the GPS signal is weak. For less error, try setting the track log record period to a longer time base (The trip computer records data at 1Hz).

Just now, dgnzcn said:

What is your suggestion for value?

You will have to do some testing to see what works best for you. This will rely heavily on the activity. For hiking, where you are not moving very quickly, you may find recording one track point every 30 seconds is sufficient for your purposes. I would do a hike with this setting and examine the track log results, then adjust for more or less time as necessary until you find 'your' sweet spot.

These settings will only affect the track log recording. They will have no affect on the Trip Computer.

Some Garmin GPSr have the ability to lock the Trip Computer and Track Log together, so the Trip Computer shows the same data as the Track Log is recording, but the eTrex 30x is not one of these units.

1 hour ago, Atlas Cached said:

You will have to do some testing to see what works best for you. This will rely heavily on the activity. For hiking, where you are not moving very quickly, you may find recording one track point every 30 seconds is sufficient for your purposes. I would do a hike with this setting and examine the track log results, then adjust for more or less time as necessary until you find 'your' sweet spot.

These settings will only affect the track log recording. They will have no affect on the Trip Computer.

Some Garmin GPSr have the ability to lock the Trip Computer and Track Log together, so the Trip Computer shows the same data as the Track Log is recording, but the eTrex 30x is not one of these units. 

Thanks for the tricks, i will test as soon as possible.

Edited by dgnzcn