Incorporating Compass Navigation

redlerm

Hey everyone. I'm new to geocaching. My son and I have a growing interest in navigation in general and thought we could combine compass navigation with GPS. In other words, arrive at a predetermined GPX and apply compass navigation (with hints?) from that point forward to find a geocache.

• Arrive at GPX.
  • Set angle of declination on the compass.
  • Set a bearing.
  • When a landmark reads a certain angle on the compass, change bearing, etc...
  • Final landmark holds geocache.

Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

Here's a link to such a cache, maybe it will give you some inspiration for your own. I've done this cache, however I kinda cheated. The cache was created before the days of Google Earth. Using GE, I was able to find the endpoint without using a compass and physically following the trail. (I work at the university where this cache is located, so I still walked the entire path.)

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCN4W6

We've done a few similar.  The last was a letterbox hybrid. 

We were surprised how few people know how to use a GPSr for things  other than  loading caches.     :)

- But (for me) your profile shows no finds.  Sure you don't want to find a few first ?

There's a bit more involved in hiding a cache than the idea stage too. 

As a basic member, sure you're going to find room without multis, puzzles, etc in your way  ?