Where can I put bogus coordinates?

3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

So, currently, where is a geocacher allowed to put bogus coordinates for a puzzle cache?

I think the requirement here is that they shouldn't be on private property or any other sensitive location. All the puzzles around here have their bogus coordinates on public land (parks, roads, etc.) or in the water.

15 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

I think the requirement here is that they shouldn't be on private property or any other sensitive location. All the puzzles around here have their bogus coordinates on public land (parks, roads, etc.) or in the water.

Maybe I imagined it, but I thought someone told me that they weren't allowed to place bogus coords on a road because someone may  go looking for the cache there and get hit.

I haven't seen anything in the Guidelines, but maybe I need to look harder.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Maybe I imagined it, but I thought someone told me that they weren't allowed to place bogus coords on a road because someone may  go looking for the cache there and get hit.

Around here, there used to be a tradition of placing the bogus coordinates in the middle of a freeway, as an additional indication that they were indeed bogus coordinates. I don't know what policies the volunteer reviewers are enforcing now though.

(And the bogus coordinates for my own puzzle cache point to a vaguely in-theme location within 2 miles of the final.)

1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

Doing some panning around locally, the ones on roads are all minor roads. I have one that's at the junction of two fire trails in a forest, but unless there's a fire there's not much chance of being run down there. Here's one in the middle of a roundabout.

image.png.5ae07fae58e420010e09a32208aeeeb9.png

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

where is a geocacher allowed to put bogus coordinates for a puzzle cache?

Call me clueless, but I thought the only criteria was it had to be within 2 miles of the final solution?  The few puzzles I've created, I just used a nearby golf course or a convenient neighborhood where you can park and walk to the final.  "Cache is NOT at the poste dcoordinates, but it IS a good place to park!"

• Helpful 1
18 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Call me clueless, but I thought the only criteria was it had to be within 2 miles of the final solution?  The few puzzles I've created, I just used a nearby golf course or a convenient neighborhood where you can park and walk to the final.  "Cache is NOT at the poste dcoordinates, but it IS a good place to park!"

There are other criteria, depending on, among other things, the reviewer.

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I haven't found that in the guidelines either.  That might be a good one for website forums.

One puzzle hider here regularly has new people at the bogus coordinates with a DNF, a few placing a NM.

- He then makes sure others know why he now has that log ( so they don't think there's an issue and skip it...) by saying something like "It's a puzzle cache.  Those are bogus coordinates." and mentions reading geocaching 101.    :)

50 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Here's one place that posted coordinates are not allowed: 

The right-of-way includes the section of any road passing over or under the interstate which is between the entrance and exit ramps.

7 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I don't understand!

Okay, now I get what you mean. I once had to move the false coordinates when a land owner complained. The cache was not on their land; only the false coordinates, but they found out about them. I had placed the false coordinates on a body of water on their property. I moved them to the nearby road.

6 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Although the thread is about locations where one can't use bogus coordinates, using a location that is a good place to park is, to me, the best choice.  The only caveat is when there is already a cache near that location and the icons on the map become indistinguishable.  

6 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Although the thread is about locations where one can't use bogus coordinates, using a location that is a good place to park is, to me, the best choice.

Except when someone has entered corrected coordinates after solving the puzzle, they lose where the original bogus coordinates were. I prefer to use a Parking waypoint for suggested parking, that way it's always visible. Of course there's nothing to stop you having a Parking waypoint with the same coordinates as the puzzle's bogus ones.

• Upvote 1

Most I have come across are in the centre of toad junctions, or on rivers/lakes. They all tend to be on obvious places that a cache won't be.

18 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Except when someone has entered corrected coordinates after solving the puzzle, they lose where the original bogus coordinates were. 

I've not come across that issue. I do add the final coordinates as a way point though. Is that not the

right way to so it? I predominantly use the Android app.

23 minutes ago, South_Stander said:

I've not come across that issue. I do add the final coordinates as a way point though. Is that not the

right way to so it? I predominantly use the Android app.

I'm not sure if any particular way is more right, really it's whatever works best for you, but on the website cache page next to the coordinates is a pencil icon which allows you to enter corrected coordinates after solving a puzzle. The new inbuilt checker also does that automatically when you enter the correct solution into that. Those corrected coordinates are also transferred to the app.

image.png.7c6e9a1214161a91e39a3cd13c5987a3.png

8 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Those corrected coordinates are also transferred to the app.

... and if corrected on the app, they’re transferred back to the website.

On the maps (website and app), the cache is shown at its actual location with a puzzle piece icon. ?

Once logged as Found, the cache’s position reverts back to its posted coords on the maps.

14 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Here's one place that posted coordinates are not allowed: 

The right-of-way includes the section of any road passing over or under the interstate which is between the entrance and exit ramps.

Source?

I Googled that and couldn't find where it came from.