Few questions after first day.

MattnFam

So we found a few caches today at the zoo near by. Good time. My questions are now. 

1. The items in the cache. Not all are trackable. Are you suppose to swap one out? Are they all refered to as bugs? If there is no markings? 

2. Is a regular GPS more accuracte than the phone GPS? I have an older GPS Magellan I think with driving options on it. My phone seemed to not be super accurate with way points. Would an older GPs unit be more accurate than the phone. (Android).

Thanks!

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, MattnFam said:

So we found a few caches today at the zoo near by. Good time. My questions are now. 

1. The items in the cache. Not all are trackable. Are you suppose to swap one out? Are they all refered to as bugs? If there is no markings? 

2. Is a regular GPS more accuracte than the phone GPS? I have an older GPS Magellan I think with driving options on it. My phone seemed to not be super accurate with way points. Would an older GPs unit be more accurate than the phone. (Android).

Thanks!

A lot of basic info can be found in  Geocaching 101.   Further can be found in the Help Center.    :)

I thought at least Geocaching 101, the basics of this hobby, was on kind of a nag screen.  That's not so anymore ?

"Items in the cache" are usually swag, to be traded for, up or even.  

A Trackable (Travel Bugs, Tags, and Geocoins) will have "trackable on geocaching.com" or similar on it.

Civilian GPS is only "accurate" to around 10 feet, but often 20 could be possible.  Surveyors may have "super accurate"...  ;)

There's really little difference (with GPS) between phone or handheld GPSr today.

We put our GPSrs away as we're walking to Ground Zero at 20 feet or so, and start looking.

• Helpful 1

I use my phone for all cache finds. As cerberus1 stated it's not 100% accurate, but gets you in the general area of the cache, then it's just a case of searching around (and using the hint occasionally!) 

Most of what you would have been looking at was SWAG. You are welcome to swap it for another item of your choice which is around the same value. Trackables have a special number on them for tracking (and usually state that they are Trackables) 

Welcome and enjoy! ?