Garmin 64s problems sharing wirelessly

jpd43

I have been having some issues sharing geocaches wirelessly from my Garmin 64s to any other Garmin. Sometimes it will work first time like a champ, then it won't work for a second one and I get error messages, or it will appear to be connected to another unit, but then connection is lost. Sometimes, just hitting the OK button will automatically start sequence again and it works, sometimes I still get the error. This is a brand new GPSMAP 64s and my old one was doing the exact same thing. I have tried sending and receiving from a Montana, a GPSMAP 64s (another one) & a GPSMAP 62s. Mu old 64s and the 62s used to work fine and I could send several one after another. Sometimes when I go to send, Share wirelessly>Send>Geocaches>it will tell me "No Results Found Try Adjusting Parameters" when I have a full database (and it eventually finds them if I keep trying). When I finally find the cache I want to send, I get a variety of answers. Sometimes it will go through quickly like it should. Other times it takes forever to find another unit and then fails. Sometimes it finds the other unit and connects but never sends. Sometimes it connects to another unit and starts to send and then looses connecting (even when I have them in the same hand). VERY frustrating and Garmin, although very nice) was not able to solve it. Anybody got any suggestions? Like I said this is a brand new unit, but my other one was doing the exact same thing.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be of much help. I don't use the wireless transfer feature very often, but every time I have, it's worked fine - whether to transfer data from my Oregon 450 to my Oregon 600 or vice versa. Once I transferred some waypoints to a friend's 64 while we were on a backpacking trip, and didn't seem to have an issue. I don't think I've ever transferred geocaches, except just now to see if I could replicate a problem with my devices. ?

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:35 AM, jpd43 said:

Sometimes it connects to another unit and starts to send and then looses connecting (even when I have them in the same hand).

I can't remember where I read it, but I once read that the recommended distance between the units when transferring wirelessly is 1 foot. I used to have many of the same issues you've described, but firmware updates and keeping a 1 foot separation has led to fairly consistent success with Oregon 450s and 600s. It's possible that having them too close means they're each picking up interference from the other one, garbling the data signal.

• Helpful 1