Disposing of other cachers trackables.

Roseysaurus

Is it okay to say you will dispose of large trackables left at an event? 

We have had many large trackables travelling in my local area for many years. Some travelling abroad and proving popular. So I am very sad to see it publicly announced that large trackables will be disposed of. My sons rocket made it to HQ from the UK. Should large TBS be disposed of or should they be seen as a way to encourage caches bigger than a nano?

• Surprised 1

As they belong to someone else, I don't think you should dispose of them. I would be upset if someone threw mine away. I imagine you have already tried to contact the respectful owners and voiced your concerns?

I think I would try and take them to another event and offload them on to someone else. That way they are still in the game, but out of your hair.

Alternatively why not make, or try and arrange, a large cache to drop them all in? Kinda like a TB graveyard. Again, they are still in the game then. 

• Helpful 2
1 hour ago, Roseysaurus said:

So I am very sad to see it publicly announced that large trackables will be disposed of.

This is why my high school English teacher, Mrs. Powers, made such a big deal about not using passive voice. Who publicly announced that large trackables will be disposed of? Why would anyone anywhere for any reason dispose of someone else's trackables?

Sadly it is the Aberdeen mega committee! Stated today on their Facebook page. I have a few large trackables in circulation. They have been successfully travelling for several years now. I am not the only cacher I know with large trackables. I used to own a cache large enough for the bigger trackables. I have to say that I am pretty disappointed in this statement from a mega committee. It doesn't paint them in a good light. 

• Surprised 1
5 hours ago, Roseysaurus said:

Screenshot_20190719-212756.jpg

Thanks for that.   Maybe missed it, but I didn't see it anywhere on the event's main page. 

So you'd have to be on faceboook to know.    We're not...

Did you contact HQ and ask ?      :)

I may be wrong, but I don't think the event, "mega" or not,  would have been published if a Reviewer was aware.

Trackables are the property of other cachers.  The TO can't help it if some knucklehead brings their "on the big side" trackable to an event. 

I'd be interested in what HQ has to say about the organizers openly saying they'll dispose of another cacher's property.    Thanks.

I'm not on any Facebook caching pages so only found out when someone told me. I've seen my trackables at 4 previous megas with no issues, they have been picked up and moved on. In my local area we have had large trackables brought to events in pubs with no issues and many regularly get taken to events in the middle of London. 

To openly state they will dispose of them seems to me to go against the rules of what TBS are about. 

• Helpful 1
21 hours ago, Roseysaurus said:

Sadly it is the Aberdeen mega committee! Stated today on their Facebook page. I have a few large trackables in circulation. They have been successfully travelling for several years now. I am not the only cacher I know with large trackables. I used to own a cache large enough for the bigger trackables. I have to say that I am pretty disappointed in this statement from a mega committee. It doesn't paint them in a good light. 

Thanks for the astonishing info! It's sad that someone's so angry about it that they'd actually threaten to destroy innocent people's TBs because someone else brought them to the event. I guess they've been burned a lot in the past. Maybe there's a way for you to volunteer to deal with the extra large TBs to ease their minds? I've only seen one abnormally large TB, so it's hard for me to imagine this is a big problem, but I'm not trying to run a mega, either.

9 hours ago, Roseysaurus said:

To openly state they will dispose of them seems to me to go against the rules of what TBS are about.

I could care less about rules. It's just flat out outrageous any way you look at it. I might not be too surprised to find some sad, lone soul in some corner of the geocaching world taking that extreme of a position, but I'd think anyone running a mega would be super conscientious about being nice to any geocaching in earshot. Certainly not holding a gun to some uninvolved person's TB to frighten someone carrying a TB not to drop it at the event.

I'm hoping it was one individual that didn't actually think through what they were saying. Definitely worth a "What?!!!!" to check and make sure this isn't really the policy. Normally I'm laissez-faire about what anyone creating an event wants to do, but if they're seriously going to execute this policy, I'd be perfectly happy to have GS cancel the entire mega.

• Upvote 2
28 minutes ago, dprovan said:

'm laissez-faire about what anyone creating an event wants to do, but if they're seriously going to execute this policy, I'd be perfectly happy to have GS cancel the entire mega.

It would seem a little unfair on those looking forward to attending, but maybe this attitude proves that the committee are not the right people to be running an event of this magnitude.