re: looking for a geocaching app

I have an Alcatel 7 model ALC-6062W phone, Android version 8.1.0. I am looking for a free (I live on SSDI disability) Android Geocaching APP for my cell phone. There is so many APP's on Google Play that I just don't know which one to pick. I need an APP that can easily been seen in direct sun light. And is fully operational, open source, 100% free.  I could use some help in picking 1 please.

PS: On the box that came with the phone. The model number is ALC-6062W. But in the phone > settings > system > about phone it says the model number is TCL-6062W.  I don't know which is the right one.

Steve

Edited by steve kc7byp
1 hour ago, steve kc7byp said:

I have an Alcatel 7 model ALC-6062W phone, Android version 8.1.0. I am looking for a free (I live on SSDI disability) Android Geocaching APP for my cell phone. There is so many APP's on Google Play that I just don't know which one to pick. I need an APP that can easily been seen in direct sun light. And is fully operational, open source, 100% free.  I could use some help in picking 1 please.

PS: On the box that came with the phone. The model number is ALC-6062W. But in the phone > settings > system > about phone it says the model number is TCL-6062W.  I don't know which is the right one.

Steve

How about the official geocaching app? 

It should work great for navigating as long as your phone has a compass.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, steve kc7byp said:

Hi Max and 99. there is a compass in my phone. the problem with the old cell phone is I couldn't see or read anything on the screen period in direct sun light. I hope my new phone will let me adjust the contrast to make the screen readable in the sun light.

Thanks for clarifying. As K13 said, that's got to me a phone issue, not an app issue. I've had several Alcatel phones.

I totally understand your frustration! We have several Garmin car units, and this last one is phenomenal. Except for one thing. In the middle of the day, the screen will suddenly be unreadable because of the sun. But I've checked the unit settings and brightness is on full. So there must be another setting I'm not seeing. I understand!

Update: I just googled my unreadable screen input for daytime view, and may have figured it out. I hope you can solve your screen issue too!

Edited by Max and 99
7 hours ago, steve kc7byp said:

the problem with the old cell phone is I couldn't see or read anything on the screen period in direct sun light. I hope my new phone will let me adjust the contrast to make the screen readable in the sun light.

If sunlight washes out the screen, it's gonna be tough to use the phone for any purpose in direct sunlight, not just for Geocaching.  I have a nice big Android tablet, but I don't use it in sunlight.  My Garmin GPS has that special type screen that looks fine outdoors and even better in the sun.

There is a selection of Apps if you check the App Store for "Free GPS".  They are "free", might as well try some and see if anything seems OK.  But it also depends on what you expect to do "for free".  You could look at the free version of "Spyglass", which has many color settings, and one of the black and white settings might have some decent contrast outdoors.  But you'd have to type coordinates into that, to use it as a compass, from information you may obtain in The Official App in the shade.

Edited by kunarion