Three ways to thank a geocache owner

niraD

This is a sore topic for me.

A local cacher (to me) complained about not getting interesting logs.   

The next time we looked for one of his caches we came across a structure that made my daughter scared that it was a homeless person's campsite.

So we bailed without looking.

I wrote a DNF log to with our story thinking he would find it interesting. 

The CO sent us a nasty PM for the DNF and deleted our log.

The next cacher to find it also made snide comments directed at us that it was obviously a kids fort.

Boring logs about how today is good day to cache, we decided to look for this cache, we found the cache after a search, and signed log and replaced as found won't get you in trouble. 

Unfortunately my experience is interesting logs can get you in trouble so I avoid them.    

• Surprised 1
29 minutes ago, schmittfamily said:

This is a sore topic for me.

The next time we looked for one of his caches we came across a structure that made my daughter scared that it was a homeless person's campsite.

The next cacher to find it also made snide comments directed at us that it was obviously a kids fort.

Boring logs about how today is good day to cache, we decided to look for this cache, we found the cache after a search, and signed log and replaced as found won't get you in trouble. 

Unfortunately my experience is interesting logs can get you in trouble so I avoid them.    

That is unfortunate. You make a great point.

I had a chuckle and was quite chuffed when I read this Found It on one of my multi caches. Logs don't all have to be like this but it's these that keep me going.

prem_user.gifPremium Member

2.png1670

Found itFound it

29/03/2019

I had previously been to WP1, and thinking I had the correct coordinates , then gone to GZ to find the cache. But not being able to find the cache, I began to search a much wider area before giving up.
Today I returned to WP1, but in my attempt to find the WP1 container (I wasn't 100% sure that my GZ coordinates were accurate), I slipped on my backside, and startled a bike rider who thought I was an animal running out of the bush. No damage done, but the damage to my pride, I found the container, and then the coordinates, and made my way to GZ.
At GZ, I made a more thorough search and the cache was soon found, and the coordinates were extremely accurate. Colleda sure has a talent for hiding caches extremely well. I owe you a Fave Point for this cache when I have some more, for bringing me to this beautiful part of the Lake. Trackables visited, TFTC.

haven´t read the whole thread. But one more way could be to maintain a cache as a favour.

I´m not meaning a throw down, or to put a aditional paper stripe into the moldy box.

I mean cleaning up the existing cache. Sorting rotten swag and rubbish out, drying the logbook, cleaning the seal, remove dirt, replace a disfunctional pen or reenhance the camoflarge. Things like this, to realy clear the owner off a charge for this instance.

7 hours ago, DerDiedler said:

haven´t read the whole thread. But one more way could be to maintain a cache as a favour.

I´m not meaning a throw down, or to put a aditional paper stripe into the moldy box.

I mean cleaning up the existing cache. Sorting rotten swag and rubbish out, drying the logbook, cleaning the seal, remove dirt, replace a disfunctional pen or reenhance the camoflarge. Things like this, to realy clear the owner off a charge for this instance.

Guess I'm having an off day, can't decipher this bolded .   Thanks.  :)

Just two days ago, I "cleaned up" two not visited often ...  one externally because it had grasses and small roots attached to it (ammo can), the other inside that had enough condensation water to be an issue, if something other than the baggied log and a trackable was inside it. 

Wrote about using my bandana to clean 'em out, and on one, that I retrieved a trackable that was sitting a year.

Both active.  Haven't received a "thanks for the help" myself yet.  "Thank you" is a mutual action ...

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Guess I'm having an off day, can't decipher this bolded .   Thanks.  :)

na, my not native english skills might bug you ;)

I tried to say that one can do a job, wich usually should be done by the CO to take this work load away from him at any certain cache.

Better?

8 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Haven't received a "thanks for the help" myself yet.

Thank you for maintaining the quality of geocaching for the community! :)

Even with no comforting words from the CO, you´ve done a great service for others. Karma points granted!

33 minutes ago, DerDiedler said:

Thank you for maintaining ...

To be clear, these were distant, woods hides,  not a 1.5 cache n dash roadside or parking lot,  and a big difference in how I respond.

I stopped heading to the urban/suburban cache type because "helping the CO"  on some could be a weekly effort...

I feel there's a reason that maintenance isn't mentioned in the blog , and threads on the subject are a few pages.  :)

I was just responding to "thanking" a CO for placing a cache by "helping" with maintenance.

With simple things, I agree.  If I ever find a CO becomes indifferent, or it becomes expected, I'm done...

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 2
On 7/17/2019 at 8:12 PM, schmittfamily said:

I would have logged a Note rather than a DNF. If I thought I encountered a homeless camp that's definitely something to mention in my log.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:12 PM, schmittfamily said:

<...>

<...>

Both of them were out of line.

You looked and you didn't find it for whatever reason IT WAS made you stop looking. If you decided it should be a DNF, then it's a DNF.

I care about my DNFs because I want to be able to go back to avenge them. If it was me I'd ask HQ to reinstate the log. Some COs just don't want their cache listings sullied with DNFs or NMs, etc., although I don't know that that's the case here.

As for the other guy, he's just a jerk if he's being a jerk, especially through the logs! Tell him he dresses funny or something.

On 7/17/2019 at 5:12 PM, schmittfamily said:

Sounds like a misunderstanding. I hope you talked to him about it to straighten things out.

Not community-minded, and not responsible for the CO to delete your log. As a lone female geocacher, I would want to know your take on the "kid's fort". If it made you uncomfortable I want to know.  It's something I would want to avoid. I'd be tempted to report the CO to GCHQ if the deletion happened to me. I feel it is information others should know about. The CO needs to be reminded of his ownership responsibilities by GCHQ. He doesn't own the logs. Some people value their logs, for me they are a record of my experience at the caches, and they are a way to communicate with other finders (and the CO). 

Edited by L0ne.R
sentence structure
  • Upvote 3
On 7/17/2019 at 7:39 PM, JL_HSTRE said:

There are definitely some cachers who simply can't think of much to say about their finds. I've met some.

But at this point any log that is more than an acronym or copy & paste text is essentially a compliment, especially longer than one sentence. 

Even a complete sentence is appreciated.  When an expression of gratitude is reduced to a 4 letter acronym,   I question it's sincerity.   

• Helpful 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

When an expression of gratitude is reduced to a 4 letter acronym,   I question it's sincerity.   

Sincerity? Well I'd think it's sincere; a 100% sincere 4 letter acronym :P Thoughtful though, definitely not.  The log content is secondary to the smiley so little to no thought is put to the text. But unless they're just lying, I'd still think they're sincere. heh

On 7/16/2019 at 6:20 PM, grimpil said:

I often go back to re-read my logs as a reminder of a good day out, so by being more descriptive I am almost writing a journal for my own benefit.  And I enjoy reading other logs that have something to say about the places I visited.

Agreed here!  I admit, sometimes the cache itself is unextraordinary enough to warrant a one- or two-sentence log.  But usually I write a little something unique about my experience in finding it:

** I looked far too long for something that ended up being right under my nose.

** I saw a snake while getting to this one.

** This design is just precious!

** My muggle friend found this one before I did.

** It was snowing lightly when I found this.

And so on.  As a CO I like to read a little about people's experience in finding my cache, and as a cacher I like to make my logs a sort of journal of my caching story.  (In another topic, the argument came up that if you couldn't get to the cache, you shouldn't log it as a DNF, but I do this as well, because there's a story with my NOT finding a cache too.)  My logs are as much about me as about the caches.

• Upvote 1
On 7/16/2019 at 6:25 PM, thebruce0 said:

Point being, logging live and/or logging only on mobile devices I'd say would tend to reduce the average log length.

I agree, but it's not necessarily true with everyone.  I use a mobile device for 99% of my finds (logging them on the spot), and I either spend a few minutes tapping it out in the car, or I use voice recognition technology to tell the story.  But being of the keyboard age, I have the "wanting to tell the story" mindset, so it is natural that I wouldn't give in to the easy TTFC fix like some people who do most of their correspondence in text-speak.

• Upvote 1
On 7/16/2019 at 5:58 PM, The A-Team said:

*as well as what you may not have enjoyed, which can be just as useful to communicate. Caches aren't all sunshine and rainbows, so there's no need to pretend that they are. Knowing what cachers didn't like about a cache can help the owner when hiding other caches in the future.

I've definitely let a few loose before.  Sometimes graciously ("Nice cache, but coords are about 50 feet off"), but sometimes I get really angry and let them know it!  Example, coordinates that led to the middle of a ball field that had four or five small buildings/structures surrounding it.  I consider geocaching a GPS-based game, and I expect the coordinates to get me to the cache, not within 500 feet of it...and I let the CO know how I felt about wasting my time driving out there.  Another time, a description was all about the great view of a local landmark, and I complained that the landmark was nowhere in sight.  (That CO actually wrote back apologizing for the growth that had occurred in the years since he had placed the cache...)

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Ageleni said:
On 7/16/2019 at 7:25 PM, thebruce0 said:

Point being, logging live and/or logging only on mobile devices I'd say would tend to reduce the average log length.

I agree, but it's not necessarily true with everyone.

Which is exactly what I said ;)

On 7/16/2019 at 11:52 PM, JL_HSTRE said:

I've taken to carrying a small (5x7) spiral notebook with me in the field. It fits nicely in a jacket, cargo, or back pocket and a pen with a decent clip fits in the spiral giving me a backup cache signing utensil. I can track my finds/DNFs/NMs, plan my targets ahead, write down EC/VC answers, and make shorthand memory-jogging notes for writing logs back home.

I actually used this technique when heading to a 48 cache series - thanks.  Only problem was that it was so hot, I dripped sweat all over it and smeared some of the notes!  I think maybe next time, I'll use a voice-activated recorder, like a Dictaphone recorder or something.

There's a local cacher who will not consider going paperless; keeps hard-copy notes like you.  He's always the 1st go-to for PAFs. :)

3 minutes ago, VAVAPAM said:

I actually used this technique when heading to a 48 cache series - thanks.  Only problem was that it was so hot, I dripped sweat all over it and smeared some of the notes!  I think maybe next time, I'll use a voice-activated recorder, like a Dictaphone recorder or something.

There's a local cacher who will not consider going paperless; keeps hard-copy notes like you.  He's always the 1st go-to for PAFs. :)

I used to have a small spiral notebook (more like 3x5) that had water resistant paper.   I think I may still have a sea kayaking log book that was designed for use on the deck of a sea kayak.  

The other advantage of having a spiral notebook is that it can be used as an anti-muggle device.   One can examine a tree or bush closely without looking suspicious if you occasionally write something in a log book was part of the examination.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I used to have a small spiral notebook (more like 3x5) that had water resistant paper.   I think I may still have a sea kayaking log book that was designed for use on the deck of a sea kayak.  

The other advantage of having a spiral notebook is that it can be used as an anti-muggle device.   One can examine a tree or bush closely without looking suspicious if you occasionally write something in a log book was part of the examination.

That would work.  Hadn't thought of the anti-muggle angle; bonus!  I'll check Amazon - thanks. 

3 minutes ago, VAVAPAM said:

I guess the voice recorder might make me look like a spy ... or Secret Service.  Definitely not anti-muggle.  :D

I don't know about that.   A muggle isn't likely going to bother someone that looks like they're in the secret service.  

Just checked.  You can get a 3-pack of 3"x5" spiral notepads (100 pages each) on Amazon for $12.99.   Put two of them in caches for a log book and keep one for field notes (that's what they're designed for).

1 hour ago, VAVAPAM said:

I've used the smaller, 3x5 Rite in Rain notepads for some time for multiple caches in a day, and simply a 3x5 index card when only going for one.

Both fit easily in a 4x6,  3 or 4mil baggie with a FP sharpie/golf pencil in my cargo pocket .    :)

Bought in bulk, we've paid less-than two-bucks each for RiR notepads.  

- Pencil writes well on RiR, even when wet, and can be erased if on that much of a budget.

I've used one PAF in my time in this hobby (so far) ...  

Mechanical devices pinched together, and had the option of cutting rope and dropping 30+ feet on rock, or call a friend.

This is why I mention real friends when people talk about their "friends" on social sites, or the "friends" on a list here.  :D

In the description of a cache the owner said:

The only enjoyment the placer gets from this cache is the log you write, so please tell me about your experience. TFTC is not very enjoyable, nor is seeing the same copy and paste time after time as you find my hides.

I always tried to say something nice in the log but this made me want to try even harder.  I was saddened to see that many people still logged TFTC anyway - but then again I've been guilty of not reading the description of a cache when I'm caching on the fly.

• Love 1
On 7/16/2019 at 10:52 PM, JL_HSTRE said:

I've taken to carrying a small (5x7) spiral notebook with me in the field. It fits nicely in a jacket, cargo, or back pocket and a pen with a decent clip fits in the spiral giving me a backup cache signing utensil. I can track my finds/DNFs/NMs, plan my targets ahead, write down EC/VC answers, and make shorthand memory-jogging notes for writing logs back home.

I can put some key words in the log on my phone and save it as a draft.  I still like to type out a better version from my computer to post in most cases, though.

• Upvote 2

Lets me say this, being a CO isn't for everyone. I think GS is crazy to write that article and put finders on a guilty trip. Most people don't have time to write logs because they are busy with the family so the short logs are here to stay.  Thank god for GS app where I can log on the fly. Just copy and paste and done! Take just a few second and on to the next cache or other things in life.

TYFTT

Just now, Viajero Perdido said:

They should find less caches then, so they'll be able to properly thank each CO.

More time with the family mean hunting for the cache itself... kids dont write logs... I often take my nephew and niece with me  and I dont have time to write logs once we are done caching because we are doing other things like watching movies, getting them all hyper with sugar and etc. Spending time with the family is more important than pleasing those high maintenance CO that want fancy logs. I am not going to take my time to please them because my family is more important than your caches.  Finding it is the key point of spending time with the family.  I am a CO and all the find it emails go to a file and I never see them. I dont care if you find my caches or not or how long or how short you write it. All I care that you had fun and that's it.  I only read DNF or maintenance logs, that's it. If you are one of those CO that get upset when someone write a very short log on your "awesome" cache, being a CO isn't for you. So you are telling me that I have to put time writing log for your cache and put my family time on hold every evening when we went caching? No thank you, I wont do that.

2 hours ago, SwineFlew said:

Lets me say this, being a CO isn't for everyone. I think GS is crazy to write that article and put finders on a guilty trip. Most people don't have time to write logs because they are busy with the family so the short logs are here to stay.  Thank god for GS app where I can log on the fly. Just copy and paste and done! Take just a few second and on to the next cache or other things in life.

TYFTT

Yep, it's all about bumping up your find count and COs are just cache-making machines whose sole function is to facilitate that.

One of my hides is a T3.5 in a fairly impressive rock formation with a view back along the beach. Getting there requires a steepish climb, some bush-bashing along ledges and rock-hopping down to the right level. The cache itself is a novelty container themed to the location in multiple ways and is intended as a surprise for the finder. In other words, I put a lot of thought and effort into the design and creation of that cache, so I like to read the feedback I get in logs to see how the adventure I created plays out for the finder. But that's a bit difficult to discern from these three logs:

image.png.2fd2a8b4015d28ff89f2afe8b91156fc.png

Did they like it? Did they hate it? Or was it just a +1 to their find count, in which case I shouldv'e just thrown down a pill bottle next to the car park and not bothered with the rest of the cache. I mean, if that's all the cachers want, a quick find and another smiley for their stats, I'm probably doing them a disservice by putting my caches in places that take some effort to reach.

I don't especially want "thank you from the bottom of my heart" logs, what I really appreciate is feedback so I know whether I hit the mark with what I was trying to achieve or if my idea was a dismal flop. A dot, an emoji or a TFTC doesn't do that. You don't have to write a novel, just a sentence or two of meaningful feedback is enough, like this one a year earlier on the same cache:

image.png.b5d0f6d5dca4661a4303fd6843269f23.png

With that one, I know I hit the mark :).

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, SwineFlew said:

Most people don't have time to write logs because they are busy with the family so the short logs are here to stay. 

TYFTT

(My bold)From what survey/s have reached this conclusion? Sounds more like an unsubstantiated personal opinion. If that's your perception then that's your reality but that doesn't make it correct, or in line with the perception of others.

• Upvote 1